• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Xenon Hid Lights

nahsor16

Question

hi i wanna convert my car's normal lights (H4) to Xenon lights with a HID conversion Kit... but i dont know exactly how Xenon light creates low and high beams... i've also heard that theres a thing called bi-xenon. does this mean that you need to get bi-xenon to get both low and high? and how does normal xenon lights produce low and high beams???

Please help.

Thanks

4 answers to this question

it is my understanding that the bi-xenon headlights have a sort of flap that flips up/down within the projector beam housing to allow the high/low beam ion the same housing using one bulb ... I don't believe the bulb changes filaments like in a traditional bulb but stays on all the time and only the gate/flap allows the specific beam pattern to exit the housing.

The regular Xenon HIDs use a single projector housing for each setting. They're usually for the low beam while a high beam is on a separate bulb/housing.

One of the popular projector beam housings is from the Infinity FX35 (for Bi-xenon), but the Porsche and BMW housings as well as the PIAA housings are proving quite popular, although a bit more expensive.

here's an example of a guy retrofitting FX35 housings into his Firebird ... http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t...or+hid+housings

Edited by Mean Green z28

it is my understanding that the bi-xenon headlights have a sort of flap that flips up/down within the projector beam housing to allow the high/low beam ion the same housing using one bulb ... I don't believe the bulb changes filaments like in a traditional bulb but stays on all the time and only the gate/flap allows the specific beam pattern to exit the housing.

The regular Xenon HIDs use a single projector housing for each setting. They're usually for the low beam while a high beam is on a separate bulb/housing.

One of the popular projector beam housings is from the Infinity FX35 (for Bi-xenon), but the Porsche and BMW housings as well as the PIAA housings are proving quite popular, although a bit more expensive.

here's an example of a guy retrofitting FX35 housings into his Firebird ... http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t...or+hid+housings

ok thanks for your feedback. do u think having a mechanical movement inside the headlamp will last long. as in would this device require any maintenance or wonder how successful this technology is. anyway what do u think is better to get.. normal xenon kit or a bi-xenon kit...?

ok thanks for your feedback. do u think having a mechanical movement inside the headlamp will last long. as in would this device require any maintenance or wonder how successful this technology is. anyway what do u think is better to get.. normal xenon kit or a bi-xenon kit...?
Well, manufacturers have been using the bi-xenon housings so they're probably very dependable. All it is is a simple flap that's actuated when you give it power so I'm guessing it's something similar to an automotive relay (using magnetism). As for me, it depends on what I'm replacing. If you have separate bulbs on your current setup for low and high beams, I'd go with a the normal single xenon housing (but keep them on, rather than switching off when the high beams are on like in most cars). But if you have the dual filament bulbs, then you have no choice but to go with the bi-xenon setup, just hook up the high beam wiring to the flap.

Well, manufacturers have been using the bi-xenon housings so they're probably very dependable. All it is is a simple flap that's actuated when you give it power so I'm guessing it's something similar to an automotive relay (using magnetism). As for me, it depends on what I'm replacing. If you have separate bulbs on your current setup for low and high beams, I'd go with a the normal single xenon housing (but keep them on, rather than switching off when the high beams are on like in most cars). But if you have the dual filament bulbs, then you have no choice but to go with the bi-xenon setup, just hook up the high beam wiring to the flap.

hey thanks mate. now i have a better idea. my headlamp have a dual filament H4 bulb. so i guess i'll should get a bi-xenon kit. are there any good places to get a xenon conversion done? and how much would it be. A xenon hid kit can be bought from US or Aussie for about Rs.10,000. but it'll be easier if its available here.