• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Coolant Without Phospates And Silicates

kumudug

Can you guys at least please tell me about good coolant brands.

The brand called Engine Ice seems to have good reviews in the net. Is it available in sri lanka.

I'm planing to do a radiator flush soon. I'm a bit afraid to go and buy coolant directly cause the market is full of low quality stuff

Can you guys at least please tell me about good coolant brands.

The brand called Engine Ice seems to have good reviews in the net. Is it available in sri lanka.

I'm planing to do a radiator flush soon. I'm a bit afraid to go and buy coolant directly cause the market is full of low quality stuff

im using ABRO

There is also BP Coolant

There are 2 types of coolants in the market. The ones which you dilute with water and ones which you don't. BP you do not dilute with water and you add straight to the radiator after flushing it out of all water.

All coolants available are suitable for aluminium engines, because most petrol engines made in the world are made out of aluminium alloy.

I use "Wurth" coolant, and so far no issues. When I first bought my car home, I got to know the previous foolish owner :action-smiley-060: has used 100% pure water for the radiator and it had created lots of rust inside the radiator as well as layers of rust inside the reservoir. Then I immediately flushed the radiator through a nearby garage and I put "Wurth" radiator coolant. After putting it, I saw a reasonable performance upgrade in my car (Acceleration was better and also the engines temperature was kept to the half all the time). And when I bought the Wurth coolant, a bottle was around Rs: 950 and I think its good quality becos its a German brand. :alc:

Edited by Car Maniac

Hi guys

Thank you very much for your replies. I really apreciate the support.

I went to arpico dehiwala today looking for Valvoline ZEREX. But they said its not available.

Then I tried a medium sized auto part shop near maliban junction and all they had was _TR.

Can any of you guys tell me a place where I can buy ABRO

Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Hi guys

I went to arpico dehiwala today looking for Valvoline ZEREX. But they said its not available.

Then I tried a medium sized auto part shop near maliban junction and all they had was _TR.

Got mine at Radiator House, near Millennium Park.

There is also BP Coolant

There are 2 types of coolants in the market. The ones which you dilute with water and ones which you don't. BP you do not dilute with water and you add straight to the radiator after flushing it out of all water.

All coolants available are suitable for aluminium engines, because most petrol engines made in the world are made out of aluminium alloy.

It was available at A*W last i checked

http://www.amwltd.com/Bp/html/product_deta...ial_coolant.htm

Hi guys

ABRO coolant available most motor spare parts shops. It is not difficult to find.

Finally brought WURTH coolant. The buggers at the joint told me its pre mixed but when I read the bottle it says to mix with water 1:2. (Imagine if I used concentrated coolant without reading the bottle)

Too bad I don't have time to flush the radiator this week end. Have to wait a whole week to test the new product. :jumping-smiley-013:

There is also BP Coolant

If you read your owners manual, you'll notice that some manufacturers - eg: BMW specify that you should use coolant without Phosphate or Silicate. The only common brand on the market which didn't have was Mobil Coolant. Unfortunately the agents no longer import it and are selling ESSO branded coolant instead now which does contain phosphate.

Some people are using plain distilled water now because using the wrong type of coolant will mess up the engine

If you read your owners manual, you'll notice that some manufacturers - eg: BMW specify that you should use coolant without Phosphate or Silicate. The only common brand on the market which didn't have was Mobil Coolant. Unfortunately the agents no longer import it and are selling ESSO branded coolant instead now which does contain phosphate.

Some people are using plain distilled water now because using the wrong type of coolant will mess up the engine

Well I didnt ask for coolant without phospates and silicates because I have a BMW. I have a bike :action-smiley-060:

My user manual says using coolant with silicates will account for fast water pump wear

Anyways wouldn't using only distilled water increase the risk of corrosion of the radiator and the engine water pockets?

since we r in the topic...any one know of a good brand for a nissan D21 pikup....i used caltex last friday and within a day i lost more than half the coolant to see that i have leakin hose.....i didnt have a prob before of leaking...

Hello Everyone

I need some help selecting coolant.

Do you guys know about the brand of coolant available in sri lanka without phosphates and silicates and suitable for aluminum engines.

And a place I can get them

Thanks in advance :jumping-smiley-013:

I use WURTH. Don't mix with tap water, get some distilled water bottles and dilute as prescribed in the coolant bottle. Wurth has two colors RED and GREEN. If your OEM coolant came with RED go with RED, if not go with GREEN. Important thing is to flush (if you see brown residue in the radiator) and change the coolant at regular intervals (at least once a year), don't worry too much about oxidization and aluminum corrosion and all, its nothing to get stressed about, compared to other maintenance areas you have to worry about in a car!.

Well I didnt ask for coolant without phospates and silicates because I have a BMW. I have a bike :action-smiley-060:

My user manual says using coolant with silicates will account for fast water pump wear

Anyways wouldn't using only distilled water increase the risk of corrosion of the radiator and the engine water pockets?

Honda cars require a special type of coolant which includes some additives for lubricating the water pump. It is available with the Honda agents.... maybe that one may suit you.

I use WURTH. Don't mix with tap water, get some distilled water bottles and dilute as prescribed in the coolant bottle. Wurth has two colors RED and GREEN. If your OEM coolant came with RED go with RED, if not go with GREEN. Important thing is to flush (if you see brown residue in the radiator) and change the coolant at regular intervals (at least once a year), don't worry too much about oxidization and aluminum corrosion and all, its nothing to get stressed about, compared to other maintenance areas you have to worry about in a car!.

My bike came with green coolant but I used WURTH red. Is it bad? :unsure:

one of you said that you saw a improvement in acceleration after switching to coolant from water.

may i ask, HOW is that possible? cos i cant directly link the power/energy line and cooling line for see such an improvement. The only thing i would expect is a cooler working temp...

one of you said that you saw a improvement in acceleration after switching to coolant from water.

may i ask, HOW is that possible? cos i cant directly link the power/energy line and cooling line for see such an improvement. The only thing i would expect is a cooler working temp...

I'm no expert but according to the research I did in the net different brands of coolants doesn't do much when it comes to engine temp in normal cruise conditions. According to some articles some coolants make the engines run a few centigrade lower than others in race conditions.

Also about my red / green coolant issue

My bike came with green coolant originally but I used WURTH red coolant. But the bottle says its safe for rubber seals.

My bike manual says that using coolant with silicates will account for premature water pump wear. That means wear of rubber seals right?

So what do you guys think. Do you guys think I did a stupid thing by going for red coolant and I have to flush it again and use a green coolant? Or is it ok for me to leave the red coolant (WURTH) ?

I would really appreciate an experts advice.