• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

To All The Corolla 121 Owners

Corolla121

Hi All

This is a real contraditrion. Its all about Toyota 121 fuel consumption. Some complain its only 8-9Km's per liter in the city. But some say they do 13-14 (city) from a liter. Which one is true. Mine is 1.3L Manual, year 2006 brandnew and does only 9-10Km's per liter in the city with normal trafic/driving conditions. and 12 outstation. Checked all the plugs and did a fuel system cleaner but no luck. I have no issues with pulling power since its real fast for a 1.3L car. Pls submit your ideas and success stories.

Another issue is when Im driving around 75Kmph, on a slope in 5th gear, the RPM is about 2500 and doesnt go down even without pulling the accelarator unless the speed drops. But i used to have an automatic transmission and as soon after i get off from the accelarator padle it comes down to 1000 rpm level regardless of the speed. (except hiegher speeds above 80, it locks at 2000 rpm level in automatic transmission). Have any of you guys experienced this. Maybe high rpms is the reason for my low fuel economy ... ??? :(

PLEASE SUMBIT YOUR VIEWS/IDEAS....................!

Thanks.

Hi All

This is a real contraditrion. Its all about Toyota 121 fuel consumption. Some complain its only 8-9Km's per liter in the city. But some say they do 13-14 (city) from a liter. Which one is true. Mine is 1.3L Manual, year 2006 brandnew and does only 9-10Km's per liter in the city with normal trafic/driving conditions. and 12 outstation. Checked all the plugs and did a fuel system cleaner but no luck. I have no issues with pulling power since its real fast for a 1.3L car. Pls submit your ideas and success stories.

Another issue is when Im driving around 75Kmph, on a slope in 5th gear, the RPM is about 2500 and doesnt go down even without pulling the accelarator unless the speed drops. But i used to have an automatic transmission and as soon after i get off from the accelarator padle it comes down to 1000 rpm level regardless of the speed. (except hiegher speeds above 80, it locks at 2000 rpm level in automatic transmission). Have any of you guys experienced this. Maybe high rpms is the reason for my low fuel economy ... ??? :(

Thanks.

a 1.3 litre engine does not guarantee a low fuel consumption. Remember that small engine is pulling the same car that is powered by 1-5/1.6 and 1.8 engine cars.

To expect high kmpls on a 1300cc is a mistake. 9 City and 12 outstation seems right, even for a 1000cc Nissan K11 March.

Your accelerator/rpm issue is confusing. Unless you engaged the clutch and coasted in neutral the RPM wont drop. If you are doing 75kmph @ 2500rpm. it sounds right for a normal car. What are you expecting? Faster the wheels turn the slower the engine runs? The engine tries to maintain the matching revs for the specific speed.

In an auto when you let go of the gas, the oil pressure drops and the car goes in to a 'engine breaking' situation where it tries to slow down the car as fast as it can, unlike a manual. hence you see the revs drop real fast.

Autos and Manuals are Apples and Oranges. Different in their won ways and must be treated in their own ways.

But then I could be totally wrong!!!

Hi All

Thanks.

a 1.3 litre engine does not guarantee a low fuel consumption. Remember that small engine is pulling the same car that is powered by 1-5/1.6 and 1.8 engine cars.

To expect high kmpls on a 1300cc is a mistake. 9 City and 12 outstation seems right, even for a 1000cc Nissan K11 March.

Your accelerator/rpm issue is confusing. Unless you engaged the clutch and coasted in neutral the RPM wont drop. If you are doing 75kmph @ 2500rpm. it sounds right for a normal car. What are you expecting? Faster the wheels turn the slower the engine runs? The engine tries to maintain the matching revs for the specific speed.

In an auto when you let go of the gas, the oil pressure drops and the car goes in to a 'engine breaking' situation where it tries to slow down the car as fast as it can, unlike a manual. hence you see the revs drop real fast.

Autos and Manuals are Apples and Oranges. Different in their won ways and must be treated in their own ways.

But then I could be totally wrong!!!

Thanks VVTI for your reply. I recently bought this car and if I reset my ECU like i saw in some of the articles in this forum, would it be hlepful for my situation.

And your gear shifting explanation is little confusing. Cos my previous car which is a auto and if I let the car go in a slope it will go as its in nutral gear even if its on D position.

Thanks VVTI for your reply. I recently bought this car and if I reset my ECU like i saw in some of the articles in this forum, would it be hlepful for my situation.

And your gear shifting explanation is little confusing. Cos my previous car which is a auto and if I let the car go in a slope it will go as its in nutral gear even if its on D position.

This figure seems right. Mine is a 1.3 manual and it does between 9-10 in city running. on long trips it will do around 13-14.

This figure seems right. Mine is a 1.3 manual and it does between 9-10 in city running. on long trips it will do around 13-14.

I second that.

Our fleet vehicles return about 9 in the city and about 11 out carrying a couple of passengers and the bags with the A/C on. We have recorded 8 in the city as well with the number dropping to 6ish for wedding hires where the car stands with the A/C on for hours despite running very little.

Only of our drivers recorded 15+ on a trip to Ampara on a 1.3 manual 2006 but that was an outlier in the record sheet.

My brother managed 13km/l on a trip inluding the hills on a 1.5 litre Auto last week. I have managed 11.75km/l in fuel consumption test in a mixed cycle test over 96 km on a 1.3 manual 2005 model.

I reset my ECU last night by keeping the negative battery terminal removed overnight. In the morning as I started the car I noticed some difference. I bought this car a couple of weeks ago all this time when I started it in the mornings (cold start) engine runs normally, but it should run in idle up mode for some time cos its cold, but it didnt happend all this time until today morning. So I am sure something has happened since reseting ECU. I still cant give any other details since I havent driven it after the reset and tested the fuel consumption/performance. Will reply with my findings soon.

Edited by Corolla121

Hi All

Thanks.

We have the same car - 2005 Brand New, 1.3 Non-VVTi fuel consumption is more like 10-11 in town when i drive, but 9-10 when the driver drives it. (8-9 when the wife drives.... :)) Outstation 13-14+

Pulling power is good when compared with the 1.3l brand new sunny which you feel like getting getting out and pushing sometimes..... :) Economy is also better compared with the 1.3 brand new sunny.

I guess thats about the norm for that model. Also being the Brand new version there is no difference in consumption figures whether you use 91 Octane or 95 Octane petrol. (however agents recommended 95) Just make sure your tyres are properly inflated (i pump 29psi -for 14" with standard alloys and check once a week)

Edited by nira74

I have a question. How do you know whether your car is VVTI or Non-VVTI. Engine cover says its VVTI but its just a plastic cover, any other way to identify ????

Hmmm.. i think there is a Wire Harness leading to Cam controls on VVT-i Models.. by the way does Brand new 1.3L ones got ABS as standard? saw most of the cars without ABS :unsure:

hate discussing corrolas :) but on the RPM issue while going down hill in a manual- of course the revs are gonna stay high- downhill friction spins the fly wheel quicker that whats being asked by the engine- thats why you see high revs. very normal. on an automatic this does not happen cause revs are determined by the torque converter

What do you mean "pulling" the accelerator? If your driving a manual and and have the clutch engaged, on the 5th the engine braking effect isn't very high, so on a slope you have a good chance of maintaining your rpm. If the slope is enough, you can even see an increase in rpm, coz there is little engine braking. It doesn't disengage the transmission like an auto.

Its obvious you fairly inexperienced, so you really shouldn't be doing things like resetting ECUs until you have a better understanding of how stuff works. Of course, if you want to test your car to destruction, its your car and your money.

by the way does Brand new 1.3L ones got ABS as standard? saw most of the cars without ABS :unsure:

Yeah I have also heard that brand new 1.3 ones that Toyota LK sells haven't gos ABS as standard. And it could be correct because by most of the ways, the brand new corollas they have are very less in options when compared to Japanese full option but reconditioned same corollas. I think the ABS is not standard because an additional tax is charged on it by the customs when those are being imported to SL. So to keep the corollas price to a minimum, they just import non ABS corollas. Otherwise if toyota LK imports corollas with ABS and other options as standard, then the price of the corolla could go very high. It could be so much than we can even imagine, thanks to the unreasonable taxes and duty of SL customs. But if you want a car with ABS, then you can pay few bucks more and go for one.

Yeah I have also heard that brand new 1.3 ones that Toyota LK sells haven't gos ABS as standard. And it could be correct because by most of the ways, the brand new corollas they have are very less in options when compared to Japanese full option but reconditioned same corollas. I think the ABS is not standard because an additional tax is charged on it by the customs when those are being imported to SL. So to keep the corollas price to a minimum, they just import non ABS corollas. Otherwise if toyota LK imports corollas with ABS and other options as standard, then the price of the corolla could go very high. It could be so much than we can even imagine, thanks to the unreasonable taxes and duty of SL customs. But if you want a car with ABS, then you can pay few bucks more and go for one.

Wow!! thats ridiculous! why the hell anybody wants to tax for a Safety feature in a car!! :action-smiley-060: do they Tax for the SRS Air Bags??

Hi Guys

Pls submit the fuel consumptions of your corolla 121 1.5L and 1.3L for information purposes. And make sure to mention the traffic condition and your driving style as well. with sharing details we can be sure whether our vehicle are faulty.

Thanks.

Charging Tax for a Safety features in a Car, they must be thinking, to have a Airbag or ABS Brakes is a Luxury thing in an Accident!! :action-smiley-060:

Its damn unfortunate..! having to pay tax for safety options. Its not only Toyota's check on the B/new Lancer's & Galants 1999-2000 or even before, even these do not have ABS & Air bags.

We recent got an offer to exchange a 2000 B/new Galant diesel 2.0L turbo to our '97 Premio. The Galant didn't have either ABS or air bags...

Our governments don't seem to care about safety which is why we do not have a law (or may be not in practice!!) to buckle-up while driving.

Hi Guys

Pls submit the fuel consumptions of your corolla 121 1.5L and 1.3L for information purposes. And make sure to mention the traffic condition and your driving style as well. with sharing details we can be sure whether our vehicle are faulty.

Thanks.

Hi Corolla121,

Mine is a 1.5L manual. It does 12km/l - 12.5km/l in city driving, and around 15km/l - 16km/l on long distance runs. I usually pump 95oct and use fully synthetic oil, so that helps a bit. The only thing to note is that I usually do not face very heavy traffic as I drive to work pretty early and leave before much traffic sets in.

Hi Guys

Thanks.

Dunno about 1.5Ls. but my 1.8L 122 Scored 17-18 Kmpl On outstation driving below 3000 Rpm. In Colombo It's A Different story 7-8Kmpl in heavy traffic :mellow: and it's got a Auto Tranny.