• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Alto?

L board

Dear Friends

Could you please help me with the following information regarding the Alto?

1) How can you distinguish between the Japanese Alto and the Indian Alto?

2) Which has a better demand?

3) Are all body and spares the same?

4) Are parts available in plenty?

5) What is the fuel consumption?

6) Is there a good second hand value (and does it depend on whether it is Jap or Indian?

Thanks

L Board

Edited by L board

Dear Friends

6) Is there a good second hand value (and does it depend on whether it is Jap or Indian?

Thanks

L Board

I'm not an expert in this area, however I used to distinguish the two by looking at the lights, bumper and the shell.

• Mainly the bumper is black in Maruti where are the Jap ones are color keyed.
  • Side mirrors are cheap looking tiny pieces in Maruti where as the Jap one's are puffy and often with power mirrors I guess.
  • Interior materials are far more different in both, Maruti has the cheap looking fabrics mostly.
This is what I know in distinguishing the two however there could be more than this, however following two ads might help you

Japanese suzuki alto - http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=7943

Maruti alto special edition with color keyed bumpers - http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=8157

Edited by harshansenadhir

Dear Friends

Thanks

L Board

1. The Indian car will have an 800cc engine and Suzuki Maruti written on the the engine. It will also have Suzuki Maruti badging at the back. Most of the Jap Altos are 660cc.

2. The Jap sells a little higher. May be since most are auto.

3. Some parts fit like the body panels. Some parts like the head lamps have different brackets.

4. Parts are easy. Indian parts are cheap brandnew and is available at Ud@w@tte Motors a bit cheaper than the agents.

5. 12-14km/l in the city and 16-20 out in the Indian Manual. Similar figures in the Jap Auto. I hear it drops a bit in the hills with weight in the car.

6. Both cars have a decent second hand value.

The Jap car is smoother while the Indian car feels more solid in my opinion.

1. The Indian car will have an 800cc engine and Suzuki Maruti written on the the engine. It will also have Suzuki Maruti badging at the back. Most of the Jap Altos are 660cc.

2. The Jap sells a little higher. May be since most are auto.

3. Some parts fit like the body panels. Some parts like the head lamps have different brackets.

4. Parts are easy. Indian parts are cheap brandnew and is available at Ud@w@tte Motors a bit cheaper than the agents.

5. 12-14km/l in the city and 16-20 out in the Indian Manual. Similar figures in the Jap Auto. I hear it drops a bit in the hills with weight in the car.

6. Both cars have a decent second hand value.

The Jap car is smoother while the Indian car feels more solid in my opinion.

All your comments are correct. I second that.

• 1 month later...

I got a Japanese Alto as my second car. Indian Alto got 800cc & on some models 1100 cc engine. Japanese version got 660 cc & also 660 CC turbo. Mine is 660 cc non turbo & I feel it is seriously underpowered for that size. Jap version got auto/manual transmission and afaik no auto transmission for Indian model. Both all are very economical but not very comfortable as any other car on our roads :jumping-smiley-013: & definitely not the car for frequent long distances.

My average consumption is 12-14 km/l city & 18 km/l (checked just once) long distance.

Spares are plenty for both models without a doubt.

For the price of recondition Japanese car you can go for a brand new Indian & resale value is obliviously better with Jap. Both models are easy to maneuver on our congested roads :angry-smiley-024: & easy to park.

I got a Japanese Alto as my second car. Indian Alto got 800cc & on some models 1100 cc engine. Japanese version got 660 cc & also 660 CC turbo. Mine is 660 cc non turbo & I feel it is seriously underpowered for that size. Jap version got auto/manual transmission and afaik no auto transmission for Indian model. Both all are very economical but not very comfortable as any other car on our roads :jumping-smiley-013: & definitely not the car for frequent long distances.

My average consumption is 12-14 km/l city & 18 km/l (checked just once) long distance.

Spares are plenty for both models without a doubt.

For the price of recondition Japanese car you can go for a brand new Indian & resale value is obliviously better with Jap. Both models are easy to maneuver on our congested roads :angry-smiley-024: & easy to park.

Good ground clearance as well.