• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cars In The 2.5 - 4m Range

MSP0RT5

Guys,

Looking to be spending some time in SL again later this year, so will need to get a vehicle. Might initially hire one for a couple of months till we get settled, but ideally would like to buy something. I'd love an E39 again, but worried about finding one now which hasn't been looked after. My last one only had 18,000k's when I bought it and was still under warranty. Given their age, can't see myself finding an example like that again!!

Anyway, with the downturn and all, probably better to not spend too much either, so... main requirements are:

- has to seat 5 in comfort - wagon/little suv is ok too

- be sporty to drive (ie. not a corolla!! - no offence to the 'rolla drivers)

- be reasonably economical (again, not in the 8 range, but 5-6ish I guess)

- have a good aftermarket service centre (I took the BM to m*r*y)

- also have good agents, just in case

- budget between 2.5-4-ish mill.

- manual or auto, not fussed.

- 2003 onwards pref.

- reg'd or recon not fussed.

- ideally not korean - nothing against them, just don't like em!!

I was thinking a forester GT/XT would be ideal, but not sure what price range they go for.

Other options are (some of these might be out of my budget..):

Cefiro (the sport one?)

Mark 2 - of the newish shape - haven't seen many around though

Santa Fe - new shape, is it any good?

Suzuki Grand Vitara 05/06 model?

Look forward to everyones input!! Also, given the current economic climate, do people foresee the prices coming down at all over the next 6 months?

We have a volvo xc70 (2005 update) here which we were thinking would be ideal to bring to SL, as it's only done 30k and we've had it since new, however it's just outside the 3 year window for imports, and also I'm nto sure if they still have the duty exemption for lankans living abroad. I'm thinking it might be more headache than its worth?

Thanks guys!!

Chris

Edited by MSP0RT5

If you don't mind loosing about 1/2 a mill when selling (and it probably wont sell quick), you can get a brand new Proton Gen2 for the lower end of you budget. Meets all your listed criteria. I've heard the gearbox is greatly improved in the new model. EPS is a little low on feel, but its pretty sharp on response.

Of course, the diet of second hand Audis, Volvos and BMs are available for you budget too.

Guys,

- has to seat 5 in comfort - wagon/little suv is ok too

- be sporty to drive (ie. not a corolla!! - no offence to the 'rolla drivers)

- be reasonably economical (again, not in the 8 range, but 5-6ish I guess)

- have a good aftermarket service centre (I took the BM to m*r*y)

- also have good agents, just in case

- budget between 2.5-4-ish mill.

- manual or auto, not fussed.

- 2003 onwards pref.

- reg'd or recon not fussed.

- ideally not korean - nothing against them, just don't like em!!

I was thinking a forester GT/XT would be ideal, but not sure what price range they go for.

:lol:

...i was just reading through your list of requirements and was thinking to myself that a Forester XT would fit the bill nicely...

and then i read onto to see... :D

great minds! :lol:

Edited by Devinda_Z

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=8819

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=8093

i feel that it might be just a tad over priced , but its a little hard to say...

people over here are slowly but surely getting down to quoting reasonable prices on cars that aren't that easy to move (i.e interesting and not too common cars such as these!)

We have a volvo xc70 (2005 update) here which we were thinking would be ideal to bring to SL, as it's only done 30k and we've had it since new, however it's just outside the 3 year window for imports, and also I'm nto sure if they still have the duty exemption for lankans living abroad. I'm thinking it might be more headache than its worth?

yes there is a possibility of being able to bring it down - i can't remember whether the limit was 3 or 5 years for those who have been working overseas..i think it might just be the latter..

run a search for "Blue Permits" or something to that effect - i recall there being a few threads with details pertaining to the permits...

but in all honesty,unless you intend on using it for all eternity or have some way of getting it across without paying anything substantial in tax , i don't think it'd be work the trouble...

Volvo's seem to have very poor residuals here :(

todays papers alone carried a coupla post 2000 YOM S80's for figures well south of 2 million! :o

even the S60's which were holding steady in the 3 + million range have slipped by anywhere upto a million! :blink:

S40's are going for Toyota Carina prices! :(

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=8819

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=8093

i feel that it might be just a tad over priced , but its a little hard to say...

people over here are slowly but surely getting down to quoting reasonable prices on cars that aren't that easy to move (i.e interesting and not too common cars such as these!)

Thx Dev, I reckon that 02 one looks ok, and it could fall into the price range, with some negotiating.

I agree about the volvo. Only reason I thought of bringing is we fitted the extra seat option, so it's a very practical vehicle, good power too (~205bhp) and very nimble on the road for it's weight, and very very comfortable. However, I think servicing and resale in SL is probably going to outweigh any benefits bringing it duty free etc. I might just drop that idea and stick iwth a local model.

@Peri - prefer not to go with the Protons - even if they're based on Mitsu running gear :)

&

What are the allions like? I took one for a test drive in 05, and found it a bit under powered (1.5 and auto) & bland, but now I understand there is a 1.8 too and a sport pack of some sort?

Is there anywhere online to check ads, other than AL?

hello mate! i think the forester is probably the best choice for you. but they are a bit hard to come by. especially the 2nd gen models. if you get fed up with searching for one i think you should consider the 2nd gen rav4. i'd take it cos its more athletic than the rest of the competitors bar the forester. i've heard the santa fe is quite a remarkable machine too (maybe for a korean car that is) and thats especially true considering it recieved some input from porsche. i'd go for the 2.7 v6. the grand vitara looks quite decent too. and i've heard a lot of good things about it. as for the cefiro having driven an excimo for many years i think its a bit of dull drive. not sure about the s touring but its superbly comfortable for a jap job and they all offer huge space and a solid feel. the v6 is quite smooth and sounds nice too. but the handling of the excimo was very nissan sunny.

if you feel inclined to stick to an xc70 i'd be suprised if you dont find one for that price range.

as for the allion (no offence to any allion owners) its not really worth that extra premium over the corolla. you could buy a cefiro for almost half the money.

the mark 2 is worth a look though. im guessing its probably allion money if not less. but take one for a test drive and see what its like. its shares bits with the verossa. consider that too, if you can live with the looks.

personally i'd go for a german. preferably a 3 series. but rear seat space is appalling. so how about an A4? B)

The Mark 2 is a good car overall & much better than the Allion. Not sure if the 2L straight six engine is the same as in the Altezza. You can get one for better price than a Allon.

How about a 320D?? It fits in to your criteria except for the YOM.

The Mark 2 is a good car overall & much better than the Allion. Not sure if the 2L straight six engine is the same as in the Altezza. You can get one for better price than a Allon.

How about a 320D?? It fits in to your criteria except for the YOM.

yep it comes with the same 1gfe from the altezza as200/lexus is200. and its rear wheel drive too

doesn't matter i'm afraid - its a cozy cruiser , a drivers car it isn't :mellow:

well maybe not the 1gfe ;)

but im guessing the bonkers 1JZ-GTE engined car sure is... any idea whether this version made it to our shores?

p.s. i'd still try out the base model anyways. it'd be a nice change from our usual fwd sushi diet :lol:

oh yeah... the chaser :) yumm..

although I haven't seen many at all in SL. What about the laurels? problematic?

There was a TRD Chaser in town..

Belonged to a company which dealt in automotive equpment

There are few Club S's, posisbly 25 T's as well..but they don't come up on the market all that often...

There was a TRD Chaser in town..

Belonged to a company which dealt in automotive equpment

There are few Club S's, posisbly 25 T's as well..but they don't come up on the market all that often...

need to do a bit of reading up on the different models. What sort of price range did the 25 T's go for?

Hi machang

there is a very good forester for sale fully loaded turbo charged, with 40K mileage, one owner, black , auto and which is well within your price range.

if interested give me a call on 0777 318377

This is not an advertisement just keeping a fellow member posted.

Other options are (some of these might be out of my budget..):

Cefiro (the sport one?)

Mark 2 - of the newish shape - haven't seen many around though

Santa Fe - new shape, is it any good?

Suzuki Grand Vitara 05/06 model?

Chris,

The above miss your 2nd criteria by miles. What's the Sport Cefiro? Is it the Skyline sedan?

You'll be like a fish out of water coming from your E39. My choice would be another BM and the current climate is sure to throw up a few bargains.

Other options are the Forrester or Audi A6. A W210 six pot E with sports sus might be a bit hard to squeeze into this budget but is a nice drive too.

Chris,

The above miss your 2nd criteria by miles. What's the Sport Cefiro? Is it the Skyline sedan?

You'll be like a fish out of water coming from your E39. My choice would be another BM and the current climate is sure to throw up a few bargains.

Other options are the Forrester or Audi A6. A W210 six pot E with sports sus might be a bit hard to squeeze into this budget but is a nice drive too.

Thx GT, I think secretly I'm hoping I find another E39 in good condition :) I'm really annoyed i didn't remove the denison ipod connector from the e39 before I sold it. I was in aus at the time, and tried explaining to my uncle how to remove it, but it didn't work out!

The sport cefiro was the S-Touring, I just couldn't think of the name at the time :) I think most of the jap options though would be rather dull to drive (except the subaru) compared to the Euro alternatives.

@ darin: We're only heading down around June, maybe a month or so earlier, so if the Foz is still around then I'll have a look!

The A6 isn't bad - but are there people other than the agents to service them? The merc's not bad, but the W210 is getting on in years, and I prefer the drive of the E39 over it. Also hard to find the MB's in manual?

In all seriousness, how expensive is it to maintain a 156 in SL? I've always wanted one :) but scared of the italian temperament! (or "character" as some like to call it...)

Edited by MSP0RT5

Asking prices have been well over that!

yup BEAMS engine n all that..

That's what I would've thought too!! more like the low - mid 3's? I haven't seen the interior of one for ages, but i think it might be a squeeze for a family of 5.

Lets see whats on offer when i get there!

That's what I would've thought too!! more like the low - mid 3's? I haven't seen the interior of one for ages, but i think it might be a squeeze for a family of 5.

was thinking the same thing - its not the worlds biggest car - an Accord Euro R might fit the bill better in that case , but far far be it from me to recommend a honda, bar a NSX! lol

ah now heres an idea - it might be a little old , but how about a Lexus GS300 Vertex Edition? :)