• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What Do You Think About Jey's Bmw E46 M3

bimmer

WHAT DO U THINK ABOUT JEY'S M3 IS IT GOOD OR IS IT BAD?????????

:blink: OR :D

PLZ SEND UR COMMENTS

absolutly fantastic pice of machne & it becoms mo in valu as it is one&only in SL.:blink: Hw ever racng tht is absurd :D coz it is expnsive &wil nevr hv a chnce with japanse 2litr turbo 4wd cars. :( these r just my thoughts.

absolutly fantastic pice of machne & it becoms mo in valu as it is one&only in SL.:D Hw ever racng tht is absurd :D coz it is expnsive &wil nevr hv a chnce with japanse 2litr turbo 4wd cars. :blink: these r just my thoughts.

the M3 may have a more powerful stock engine, but when it comes to running on a track thats not exactly a traight line, the advantage of 4wd traction really shows...

but the M3 'IS' an amazing car.. just not an amazing racer.. just like the S-class is an amazing car but no racer...

the M3 may have a more powerful stock engine, but when it comes to running on a track thats not exactly a traight line, the advantage of 4wd traction really shows...

but the M3 'IS' an amazing car.. just not an amazing racer.. just like the S-class is an amazing car but no racer...

Must disagree on that statement. BMW M3 is an amazing car and an amzing racer, maybe not in the sl racing scene but its one of the best touring cars around. Its just the car doesnt seem to have the right track set up still. I'm sure he will come up with something.

Must disagree on that statement. BMW M3 is an amazing car and an amzing racer, maybe not in the sl racing scene but its one of the best touring cars around. Its just the car doesnt seem to have the right track set up still. I'm sure he will come up with something.

yes dude....

dont get me wrong, but if i were given a choice between a M3 and a C55 i would go 100% M3, but its the local arena we're talking about right....

the M3 is a top end car in the TOURING CAR line up.. but thats not the event it runs in sri lanka.. it goes up against cars that are all in the rally category...

and i agree with you on the track.... the M3 probably needs a wayyyyy bigger track than katukurunda or pannala... but sri lanka just cant handl that big a cost... thats no fault of any car manufacturer

we all agree that its an amazing car, I just cant blv that someone would pay that much (as it was rumored) to run the local races. (just my broke-ass opinion)

having said that, I think the E46 M3 can give the 4WD cars a pretty good run for the money on dry pavement. Most 4WD cars understeer and have slightly more roll compared to the RWD M3 (stock 2 stock). Plus the M3 hits the high torque band at a lower RPM which means less shifting on slower courses. Also, its way more fun to drive a RWD - IMO

there's no question that the M3 would bite the dust on a dirt or wet track....

again, JMHO :D

I dunno about that Dilesh. U were there at Katu when the M3 debuted? Stock Suspension and it came 3rd in the 2nd race. I dunno what the hp figures are on the Evo 9 GT ed, but this should have everything else beat for HP. Plus no turbo lag. And I'm not so sure that RWD is a disadvantage. Even on Katu and Pannala. U can do interesting things with RWD.... Its more difficult, def demands a higher driver skill to race, but in the right hands?...

But then, I've always like front engine RWD cars :D Which is why my avatar is a Z rather than that 4wd God, the Skyline :D

we all agree that its an amazing car, I just cant blv that someone would pay that much (as it was rumored) to run the local races. (just my broke-ass opinion)

having said that, I think the E46 M3 can give the 4WD cars a pretty good run for the money on dry pavement. Most 4WD cars understeer and have slightly more roll compared to the RWD M3 (stock 2 stock). Plus the M3 hits the high torque band at a lower RPM which means less shifting on slower courses. Also, its way more fun to drive a RWD - IMO

there's no question that the M3 would bite the dust on a dirt or wet track....

again, JMHO :blink:

Yeah, pretty much 100% with u. Dilesh, the rally problem is a question in places like fox hill. I dunno if he is running. I dunno how he will do if he does, No opinions coz insufficient info. But on tarmac....

Dunno if he can get an advantage over the Evo 9, but he can run at LEAST on par with the rest of them. But he has to be very very careful when handleing it, much more than the 4WD boys. 2 Spins in the 1st race, 1 in the second. And even with the spin he came third in the 2nd race...

Edited by Pericles

Pericles: ur right about the turbo lag......I had an opportunity to get stuck at a red light with an Sti (05 I think) and knowing very well what the outcome would be, I (in my 99 Maxima) still decided to hang in there with him. Surprisingly, I was able to keep up with him until it started to spool (heard the sucking) and then I was admiring his rear end from a distance :P

point being, a turbo'd car can be at a huge disadvantage if the track doesn't allow you to get to the required RPMs...but then again in SL, where ur taxed on displacement, turbo is the only way to get some real bang for the buck. or supe it up...no lag

as the Americans say, there's no substitute for cubic inches....I am sure the Saudi's are happy to hear that

Pericles: ur right about the turbo lag......I had an opportunity to get stuck at a red light with an Sti (05 I think) and knowing very well what the outcome would be, I (in my 99 Maxima) still decided to hang in there with him. Surprisingly, I was able to keep up with him until it started to spool (heard the sucking) and then I was admiring his rear end from a distance :P

point being, a turbo'd car can be at a huge disadvantage if the track doesn't allow you to get to the required RPMs...but then again in SL, where ur taxed on displacement, turbo is the only way to get some real bang for the buck. or supe it up...no lag

as the Americans say, there's no substitute for cubic inches....I am sure the Saudi's are happy to hear that

But then again if you run on anti lag, compi. cluthes, launch control ,lightweight fly wheels etc and if the drivers use toe and heel driving techniques they can still keep the revs up at spooling rev range. Besides i dont think there is much turbo lag in aras or dinesha's or for that matter most of the other cars.

Hey all,

I'm not looking to ruffle any feathers, or say "so and so" is better because of "such and such"..... but doesn't this thread touch on the topic of 'Funding/money vs driver skill' which was being dicussed on another thread?

Personally I think racing is about funding as much as driver skill. For what would Micheal Schumacher be with out Ferrari and their deep pockets (not to mention that insane R&D budget)?

You say no? Schumacher would win even if he was in a lowly tuk tuk? Okay well before you reach for the neast heavy blunt object; consider what happed when Damon Hill (ref. Pericles and his beloved Wiki) switched teams when HE was on top of his game. He wasn't so hot when he switched to Arrows was he? And switching to Jordan wasn't really the answer either was it? Remember, he was World Champion in 1996 when this happened.......

You say no? Schumacher would win even if he was in a lowly tuk tuk? Okay well before you reach for the neast heavy blunt object; consider what happed when Damon Hill (ref. Pericles and his beloved Wiki) switched teams when HE was on top of his game. He wasn't so hot when he switched to Arrows was he? And switching to Jordan wasn't really the answer either was it? Remember, he was World Champion in 1996 when this happened.......

ur right, if the owner of the M3 is skilled as Aravinda and Dinesh, he should be able to be competitive...seems to me like they all have deep pockets, so funding should be similar...however experience (of driver and crew) is the other factor...

BTW: I have nothing against turbos or 4WDs, I just think that the RWDs aren't all about spinouts and burnouts in the proper hands

Pericles: are there a lot of 350Zs in SL?

Racing cars are fundamentaly developed based on the driver requirements. Pretty much a hand in hand. Drives should know what they needs out of the car and the team should be able to interprit it properly and develop the car to suit the drivers driving style. Pretty much like setting up the wrc cars. ie criss atkinsons and petter solbergs subarus are on two totally deiffernt set ups. In this case shuey knew what he wanted, and knew how to ask get it. I'm sure he's a good driver and all.

I dont know where this is going exactly but the evos and subaru's have been racing for along time in SL and Jey has only for a short time. If he had as many M3 experts around things would have been different.

ur right, if the owner of the M3 is skilled as Aravinda and Dinesh, he should be able to be competitive...seems to me like they all have deep pockets, so funding should be similar...however experience (of driver and crew) is the other factor...

BTW: I have nothing against turbos or 4WDs, I just think that the RWDs aren't all about spinouts and burnouts in the proper hands

Ahh..but there you have catch 21 again...you can't stick any old Joe (Banda, Siri-pala, Louis, George....you get the idea) in a M3 and expect him to win now can you?

Ahh..but there you have catch 21 again...you can't stick any old Joe (Banda, Siri-pala, Louis, George....you get the idea) in a M3 and expect him to win now can you?

u gotta point there....I am sure banda & siripala will however lighten the car considerably by taking off all the parts they deem unnecessary (I remember getting a box full of parts once from one guy)...the I6 engine is one of the hardest to tweak...the owner will need a good crew and a black Amex :P

time will tell..

u gotta point there....I am sure banda & siripala will however lighten the car considerably by taking off all the parts they deem unnecessary (I remember getting a box full of parts once from one guy)...the I6 engine is one of the hardest to tweak...the owner will need a good crew and a black Amex :P

time will tell..

*lol* Nice!! - Black Amex indeed!!

absolutly fantastic pice of machne & it becoms mo in valu as it is one&only in SL.;) Hw ever racng tht is absurd :P coz it is expnsive &wil nevr hv a chnce with japanse 2litr turbo 4wd cars. :blink: these r just my thoughts.

This comes from a Champion Racing Driver.

Sadly JEY brought the car to RUN group N. Now there is no Group N Event.

Hey all,

I'm not looking to ruffle any feathers, or say "so and so" is better because of "such and such"..... but doesn't this thread touch on the topic of 'Funding/money vs driver skill' which was being dicussed on another thread?

Personally I think racing is about funding as much as driver skill. For what would Micheal Schumacher be with out Ferrari and their deep pockets (not to mention that insane R&D budget)?

In Sri Lanka is it Driving Skill or Faster Car ?

You might want to look at the ongoing discussion under "drags tonight 2" for that :P

Oh cool, welcome to autolanka. just new like me ah.

I think Jey should use this as road car, this is a hot car, but just as the BVG said it cannot compete with Japanese cars on the Modified Event.

I think Jey should use this as road car, this is a hot car, but just as the BVG said it cannot compete with Japanese cars on the Modified Event.

i agree.. it's a waste to track a car like that.. it's better off as a road car... still with all that power, it is a waste to put itt on our streets... so tracking it might be the only option :P

Agree with you on that.

He's gonna have to be if he wants to run RWD in the GT class this year :D

And about 4 Z's that I know of. There is a Orange one, a Black one (Both on sale last I heard) and a White one. And there is supposed to be a white softtop somewhere that I haven't seen yet. Fuzzo? Any more?

Racing cars are fundamentaly developed based on the driver requirements. Pretty much a hand in hand. Drives should know what they needs out of the car and the team should be able to interprit it properly and develop the car to suit the drivers driving style. Pretty much like setting up the wrc cars. ie criss atkinsons and petter solbergs subarus are on two totally deiffernt set ups. In this case shuey knew what he wanted, and knew how to ask get it. I'm sure he's a good driver and all.

I dont know where this is going exactly but the evos and subaru's have been racing for along time in SL and Jey has only for a short time. If he had as many M3 experts around things would have been different.

He has been running RWD M3s for at least one full season :D Dunno how long he has been doing this. I mean, when he ran Katu the car was almost stock. As far as I know, the seats had been remmoved and a roll cage put in, and thats it. Of course, I wasn't privy to internal team talk, and I didn't use my journalistic license granted by Madz to interview Jey :D

Nope. But then, I assume to get ur hand on a Racing license to compete GT class, u gotta have some sorta skills.

This is just a opinion.

we forget that last season jey was almost 2nd and 3rd in many races. he is a good driver and he is very new to racing. In a country where racing rules are changed over night and events are cancelled over night its very unfair to blame a car and a racing driver. let us give him time to improve further.

There is more to a life than racing, :D

This is just a opinion.

we forget that last season jey was almost 2nd and 3rd in many races. he is a good driver and he is very new to racing. In a country where racing rules are changed over night and events are cancelled over night its very unfair to blame a car and a racing driver. let us give him time to improve further.

There is more to a life than racing, :D

velocity, i have a small question for you. nothing 2 do with the current thread but thought no point in opening a new one..

do you know if the 97-99 sti 5 i guess models came with forged pistons and whats the max hp it can take if it was replaced with a bigger turbo. Basically keeping the stock internals whats the max power u can run?

velocity, i have a small question for you. nothing 2 do with the current thread but thought no point in opening a new one..

do you know if the 97-99 sti 5 i guess models came with forged pistons and whats the max hp it can take if it was replaced with a bigger turbo. Basically keeping the stock internals whats the max power u can run?

OD machan my knowledge about car modifications is like you asking Tiger Woods to Play Cricket. :jumping-smiley-013:

machan best person over here at the moment to answer your question would be nigel or sacha.

but sadly they do not come to forums.

Sti 5 with a bigger turbo, with forged pistons and may be with other internals ( i think you need to change a Shit of load of Internals ) may be 2.0 bar max. If you really do up the engine around 380 - 400 bhp done by pro though.

just ask BVG, he has loads of experiance in Modified engines.