• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying Options - Swift Or Familia

nessie

Dear Friends,

I'm planning to buy a car [a recon]. This is to be used as a family car so light usage, under 500km per month. My budget is very limited so going for the cheapest Japanese ones. I have three in mind;

1. Suzuki swift 1300cc

2. Chevrolet cruze 1300cc

3. Mazda familia 1500cc

Personally, prefer a Mazda over the others, but the latest in recon market is 2002. For the other two, 2004 models are there. [concerned on second hand market] Also fuel consumption puts other two over Mazda. What do you suggest? Is it worth paying two lakhs more for a Mazda sedan, over others?

Right now, I'm leaning towards the cheapest - Suzuki swift.

1. Any other vehicle I could have included in my list?

2. I read in Japanese reviews, Suzuki swift 1300cc is an underpowered vehicle. Is this an issue here for Sri Lanka considering we don't have true high ways ? Any word from users?

3. Found so many variants of swift in our car sales. Any variant/option to choose or avoid?

thanks for your tips & advices. Glad to have this kind of forum.

thanks again :action-smiley-060:

The Cruze is essentially a re-badged swift for about 20k more. My sis got one in the 1.7 range (I think) The Swift would be less than 1.5, I think. Produced in the same factory. Slightly different shell and interior materials in the Cruze, but under the skin, the same as the swift. Dunno about the power or fuel coz I have never driven it. My sis says its underpowered. But then, my sis likes to drive like a race driver. Head for the pavements when u see a red Cruze on Galle road or Marine drive between Fort and Dehiwela :action-smiley-060:

Familia should be bigger than the others, so depending on ur space requirements....

I found a lovely Familia RS hatch for 2.2. 1.5l with variable valve timing. Nice car. Tiptronic tho.

The Cruze is essentially a re-badged swift for about 20k more. My sis got one in the 1.7 range (I think) The Swift would be less than 1.5, I think. Produced in the same factory. Slightly different shell and interior materials in the Cruze, but under the skin, the same as the swift. Dunno about the power or fuel coz I have never driven it. My sis says its underpowered. But then, my sis likes to drive like a race driver. Head for the pavements when u see a red Cruze on Galle road or Marine drive between Fort and Dehiwela :blush:

Familia should be bigger than the others, so depending on ur space requirements....

I found a lovely Familia RS hatch for 2.2. 1.5l with variable valve timing. Nice car. Tiptronic tho.

Wait a sec! Infact i think i saw her today, in Fort. Does it have a loud exhaust too? and some chrome cover near the exhaust tip?

She was driving a little fast, and thought to myslef, not bad for a girl to be doing that! ;)

Wait a sec! Infact i think i saw her today, in Fort. Does it have a loud exhaust too? and some chrome cover near the exhaust tip?

She was driving a little fast, and thought to myslef, not bad for a girl to be doing that!

Praveen's got his sis, noted!!! lol...

But if ur gonna dish out 1.7-1.8 on the swift or the cruze, pay .2-.3 mo and go for the toyota vios, wit a 1.5cc vvti engine.. :blush:

another option for you is to get a recently registered car.. you should be able to pick up a decent car for 1.7 mil...

i have given up buying unreg coz the recently registered cars are almost just as good and far cheaper then buying from a dealer...

She was driving a little fast, and thought to myslef, not bad for a girl to be doing that! ;)

Doubt it. She's at home these days. Exam or summin.

Praveen's got his sis, noted!!! lol...

My sis happens to be a lawyer. U'll stay away if u know whats good for u :blush:

Dear Friends,

I'm planning to buy a car [a recon]. This is to be used as a family car so light usage, under 500km per month. My budget is very limited so going for the cheapest Japanese ones. I have three in mind;

1. Suzuki swift 1300cc

3. Mazda familia 1500cc

Personally, prefer a Mazda over the others, but the latest in recon market is 2002. For the other two, 2004 models are there. [concerned on second hand market] Also fuel consumption puts other two over Mazda. What do you suggest? Is it worth paying two lakhs more for a Mazda sedan, over others?

2. I read in Japanese reviews, Suzuki swift 1300cc is an underpowered vehicle. Is this an issue here for Sri Lanka considering we don't have true high ways ? Any word from users?

3. Found so many variants of swift in our car sales. Any variant/option to choose or avoid?

thanks again :mellow:

nessie ive had a suzuki swift nice car quick the only thing is u will find origanal parts are quite expensive,i would go for the mazda familia i have 2 of them 1 1500 16v single point injection, and i hav the 1597DOHC engine thay are maintinance free cars on my first 1 i bought whitch i still hav i hav had for 7 years and i hav not spent hardly any money on it.the 1597dohc is a very quick car but if u drive in town not two ecconomical.the mazda is the best bet if u do not hav 2 much money to spend on a car.

well the swift isnt too bad!!! many on the road, and my friend bought a one too, gud on fuel, and a nice ride!! has 2nd hand market now, and hopefully will increase..

its a car-jeep converto.

Mazda Familia

Class: subcompact car

Production: 1964–2003

The Mazda Familia is Mazda's compact car family. The first Familias were styled by Italy's Giugiaro, and shown in 1963 as the Mazda 1000 Berlina. The next generation (joined by the Wankel-powered R100 version) were among the first Mazda cars sold in the United States. 10,589,052 examples of this car were sold worldwide since introduction.Later Familias appeared with a succession of names around the world, including 1000, 1200, and 1300, 800, 808, and 818, Mizer, GLC, 323, Protegé (sic) and Astina.

1999 Mazda Familia

A redesigned ninth-generation BJ Familia was introduced on June 9, 1998 as a 1999 model. Body styles were the sedan, 5-door S-Wagon (sold as the Protegé5 in the United States), 3-door hatchback, and traditional 5-door Wagon. A 4EC automatic transmission and two 5-speed manual transmissions are available. All wheel drive is optional.

The Familia Van and Familia Business Wagon were introduced for 2000, and continued to be supplied by Nissan under an OEM deal.

The entire line was updated for 2001 with sharper styling, a revised suspension, and a new audio system.

Familia Engines

1.3 L B3-ME SOHC I4

1.5 L ZL-DE DOHC I4

1.5 L ZL-VE S-VT I4

1.8 L FP-DE DOHC I4

2.0 L RF Diesel I4

Mazda Familia 1999 (Grades produced from 1999 august)

list16tj.gif

mazdafamilia50389bq.jpg

mazdafamilia50440ns.jpg

mazdafamilia50479mo.jpg

so go for Mazda familia 1500cc... :D

Dear Friends,

1. Suzuki swift 1300cc

3. Mazda familia 1500cc

thanks again :D

Why not try the 2003 Nissan Micra. It goes for around 1.6 million, and its quite a good car. Ive seen a 2002 Mazda famillia for sale some time ago for 1.425 but it was real basic didnt even have alloys. You could consider some recon korean cars, like the kia rio and accent for about 1.5. which is the LS version-the top of the line. Or something like an auto elantra or spectra with leather and all.

thanks guys :D - I'm tempted to go for a mazda 1500cc dohc 2002 model. Visited few car sales but no familia found :)

the is a basic model and a upgraded model inthe mazdas. the nicer model is the GLS i believe. try to get that. the seats are comfier in that....

you can get a english registered one for about 1.5 easily...

well the swift isnt too bad!!! many on the road, and my friend bought a one too, gud on fuel, and a nice ride!! has 2nd hand market now, and hopefully will increase..

its a car-jeep converto.

Went to A*W last week and found the brand new (new shape) swift assembled in India by Maruti, I also noticed the maruti sticker under the driver side door panel. Brand new 1.7 million something...

They only have recon Jap Swift (old shape) and brand new Indian Swift (new shape) both are nearly same price 1.7-1.8 million.