• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Help In Buying My First Car.

MkX

Question

Hi Guys,

I am hoping to get my first car with in couple of months. My budget is around 1.1M - 1.4M. I've been serching internet and other classified ads for some time. But yet to deside what model i should go for and what YOM. There are few models i am looking for.

Looking for manual gear with some basic modifications or without any modifications.

Honda Civic EK3 (1997 - 1999)

Honda Civic EK3 - Hatch back. I saw only one (orange and black) for sale some time back around 1.5M. What is the price for EK3 Hatch, is it more than the Sedan

Toyota Starlet - Glanza or Reflect (and previous model with a GT models or body kitted. Is there any GT body kitted once with rear doors as well.) There are few old starlets below 1M. I am looking for YOM after 1997.

Apprciate your openions.

18 answers to this question

Hi Guys,

I am hoping to get my first car with in couple of months. My budget is around 1.1M - 1.4M. I've been serching internet and other classified ads for some time. But yet to deside what model i should go for and what YOM. There are few models i am looking for.

Looking for manual gear with some basic modifications or without any modifications.

Honda Civic EK3 (1997 - 1999)

Honda Civic EK3 - Hatch back. I saw only one (orange and black) for sale some time back around 1.5M. What is the price for EK3 Hatch, is it more than the Sedan

Toyota Starlet - Glanza or Reflect (and previous model with a GT models or body kitted. Is there any GT body kitted once with rear doors as well.) There are few old starlets below 1M. I am looking for YOM after 1997.

Apprciate your openions.

Fairly common question around here, quick search of the site will show up several threads.... But if you want more specific advice, let us know what you're looking for in a vehicle and we'll be able to help you better...

Cheers

Ok I will search the forum more for sure :)

Can you guys help me with below questions.

1 - How much is the Civic EK3 hatch back?

2 - Do you know any Civic EK3 hatches around?

3 - Is there any Starlet-GT (EP-82) models YOM after 1996

Ok I will search the forum more for sure :)

Can you guys help me with below questions.

1 - How much is the Civic EK3 hatch back?

2 - Do you know any Civic EK3 hatches around?

3 - Is there any Starlet-GT (EP-82) models YOM after 1996

Im not entirely certain about the Ek3 hatches because they really are quite rare, most civic hatches of any type in the country have been used to make competition cars, however i suppose there are a few around... RacersEdge might be able to help you track one down.

Generally EK 4 door's retail from 1.3 mill for an early car upto around 1.8 or maybe higher for a late/high spec car such as the ViRS. There is no real reason that hatches should cost more, but this being SL, you never know what a seller might quote!

As for point no 3, The EP82 starlet GT was manufactured up until December 1995, after which it was replaced by the EP90 Glanza V.... Incidentally, there is no reason to be afraid of buying a well looked after EP82 (assuming you can find one), because they are quite solid machines, and will be far more fun than a non RS Ek civic...

I feel I should point out here that beyond these three, there are a range of more interesting choices you can find for your budget, if you want to be a bit different from the herd.

Hi Thanks for your comments.

These are my requirement sporty look, YOM, Brand, 4 doors (sedan or hatch).

Civic EB8 - This is my favourite still. but now i feel it's gettling little old.

Toyota ceres / Marino - Too many Toyotas around, but don't have any experience about these two models.

Mitsubishi lancer - I feel 2nd hand value is very low. Is there any good models avaialble like EVO .... for my budget?

Nissan - Pulsar, Sunny, - not my type of cars.

Subaru - Too expensive i guess.

Can you suggest any models that you feel good. And also do we have any members from Racersedge

thanks

gt is bit lighter mate. than glanza

.well ek n eg hatches no body wnt to sell mate n if they do it may be high price...most r competition cars n few cars on roads they are mostly 1300cc stuff( ek2 n eg3). go for a ek3 VI version as VIRS is bit high in price .u can do wonders to a vi. its four door with 2 stage vtec( u can chip it to 3 stage) 4 disks ,dual air bags ,lsd n lot of extras.u can put a deecent lip kit n its all virs from outside n eng(interior n susp is a diff thing ha ) can help ya

Edited by RACERSEDGE

by the looks i pref the glanza mate..these days 2 door sports is not in the demand list so u can get the best 4 cheap..( but not ek or eg hatches ha ha)

These are my requirement sporty look, YOM, Brand, 4 doors (sedan or hatch).

Nissan - Pulsar, Sunny, - not my type of cars.

Can you suggest any models that you feel good.

thanks

Why not the Primera..? A P11 suits all your requirements and is a really fun car to drive. B) You can easily find one newer than 97-98 for your range. Not many around for sale though.

Why not the Primera..? A P11 suits all your requirements and is a really fun car to drive. B) You can easily find one newer than 97-98 for your range. Not many around for sale though.

Oh yeah!! totally forgot the Primera, usually the first choice in this price range, guess i must have missed it because you said no to the sunny, pulsar etc so i discounted the primera as well...

A 2.0L Camino with a manual gearbox can be found within your budget, will be a superb car I think.....

Primera = Sunny :sad-smiley-047::action-smiley-081: ... :angry-smiley-024:

Yes yes, I know....... but unfortunately most people tend to equate them when hunting within a certain budget.... anyway, IMO the standard primera is really a quite ordinary car, maybe a tad more solid than a bluebird and such... Its the Camino that is truly a great drive, it really feels like a completely different car!

(It pretty much is i guess, since the camino is essentially the JDM version of the UK spec Primeras, which have different suspension tuning to the rest of the world market cars)

yeh thought so too....specialy the one which was on the AL listing...dark purple with subaru gold rims from wut i recall....and i saw a few caminos as well...

Yes I was thinking about Primera as well, infact it was 2nd in my list next to EK3. I was the AL classifieds also. But I feel Primera is too heavy for me.

Is it 1500cc or 2000cc and is there any luxury taxes or any thing on it? There was silver colour P11 model, I think it's sold now. I am expecting 10Km/L efficiency and also I will re sale it in few years time depending on my upgrations.

Another Q, how you rate EK3 against Primera in terms of; Performance, fuel efficiency (10km/l), spares, resell value.

Yes I was thinking about Primera as well, infact it was 2nd in my list next to EK3. I was the AL classifieds also. But I feel Primera is too heavy for me.

Is it 1500cc or 2000cc and is there any luxury taxes or any thing on it? There was silver colour P11 model, I think it's sold now. I am expecting 10Km/L efficiency and also I will re sale it in few years time depending on my upgrations.

Another Q, how you rate EK3 against Primera in terms of; Performance, fuel efficiency (10km/l), spares, resell value.

Primera P11 comes in two capacities... 1800CC and 2000CC. 1800 CC falls into the semi luxury category and the 2000CC falls into the luxury one.. Since the tax is payable only for the first 7 months upon 1st reg the period is now over.. Make sure to collect the tax receipts cos, you would not be able to register the car without them..

Regarding fuel efficiency, my P11 does 8.75-9.25km/l in Colombo rush hour driving.. And it did 11.5km/l on a trip to Kandy and back under rainy conditions..

Comparing the EK3 vs the Primera:

Performance: Primera out does the EK3 in many ways. power, pick up, handling and the "thrill" is much better in the Primera

Fuel efficiency: My bros EK3 does around 9.5-10km/l in general driving around Kalutara. Do not know the values for long distance travels

Re-sell value: Both remain roughly stable without moving up or down too much.

Hi all, Please let me know the difference of these EK3s. I heard that EXI model is not VTEC engine.

What are the main differences of EXI, Vi, ViRS, V-tec, interms of performance, fuel efficiency. (Manual gears)

thanks

Edited by MkX

What about a Subaru Legacy 1995/1996 model ull be able to get one for around 9lacks to a Mill . 18 or 19 Dash, though u dont see many on advertised. If u get a 2Ltr four wheel drive, You can put a

single turbo for abt a lack i guess.(Not the B4)