• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Register A Newly Build Vehicle

omantha

I collected some auto spares from various places and build a new vehicle on a chasis of a existing vehicle. but the chasis is a Lorry chasis and now my newly built vehicle looks like a cab. Now i want to alter my registration at rmv. Or else am i permitted to run the vehicle as it is??

I collected some auto spares from various places and build a new vehicle on a chasis of a existing vehicle. but the chasis is a Lorry chasis and now my newly built vehicle looks like a cab. Now i want to alter my registration at rmv. Or else am i permitted to run the vehicle as it is??

mate, we're in a country where RMV fail and failed to recognize the vehicles made by Sri Lankan companies (latest example is Micro but there are many in the history) also there's a company which assembles vehicles in Sri Lanka and goes through hell to register the production. Don't get discouraged but from the ground realities I can see it's very unlikely that you can register this unless otherwise you follow a change of attribute process. Probably Mini would be able to provide more on this.

mate, we're in a country where RMV fail and failed to recognize the vehicles made by Sri Lankan companies (latest example is Micro but there are many in the history) also there's a company which assembles vehicles in Sri Lanka and goes through hell to register the production. Don't get discouraged but from the ground realities I can see it's very unlikely that you can register this unless otherwise you follow a change of attribute process. Probably Mini would be able to provide more on this.

machang what's the scene with micro not been recognized by RMV? more details please.

regarding the other assembler, i think its fair that these vehicles are not getting any legal recognition. the whole point of having a 3 year cap on the vintage of the vehicles is to make sure that they are in good shape and they are 'fit' for our roads. for these assembled cars i believe that rule doesn't apply. then you have the issue of government loosing billions of rupees in terms of custom duty and taxes.

this venture started because of a personnel friendship between the entrepreneur and a certain minister and his (minister's) greediness to make a quick buck for himself. just like how there was an influx of body permits in the recent past.

where is vasu and his law suites when you need one :lol:

machang what's the scene with micro not been recognized by RMV? more details please.

it was initially put up for registration in 2002 or so and then RMV rejected registering this saying it's not a proper vehicle manufacturer. Micro then filed a court case and RMV had to register after the verdict was given in favor of Micro. However the time gap was huge and other importers make sure to flood the SL market with small vans AKA Batta vans where Micro lost the first mover advantage.

it was initially put up for registration in 2002 or so and then RMV rejected registering this saying it's not a proper vehicle manufacturer. Micro then filed a court case and RMV had to register after the verdict was given in favor of Micro. However the time gap was huge and other importers make sure to flood the SL market with small vans AKA Batta vans where Micro lost the first mover advantage.

man that sucks :( thanks for sharing that info mate

sounds liek typical sri lankan bureaucracy. on what basis did they reject to register vehicles??? are they that dumb to not to know Micro was manufacturing cars? no wonder he's sucking up to 'The Family' :lol: definitely the way forward in this country

sounds liek typical sri lankan bureaucracy. on what basis did they reject to register vehicles??? are they that dumb to not to know Micro was manufacturing cars? no wonder he's sucking up to 'The Family' :lol: definitely the way forward in this country

well, this happens with the Micro 800 the first ever built batch.. way back in 2002 if I'm not mistaken. It was good for him that he was sucked into the family.. that's why now he got monopoly in duty free market. Whatever said and done it's good move towards local automobile industry though i personally don't like Micro strategy in marketing. "You should buy this due to the fact that it's locally built" sort of attitude they have :). There was a time I promoted it among my colleagues whom were about to buy B/N vehicles.. and managed to send the guys to the showroom and Micro guys were smart enough to send all them to A*W or Hyundai L*anka saying there's no vehicle available for test drive and we can't assure when it can make available for a test drive and further they were not sure how long the customer should be in the queue for the vehicle. I hope things are better now.. :rolleyes:

The circumstances are deep.RMV will never acknowledge the custom alterations you mentioned. I guess you fall into the category of body transfer, for that you need to have a body permit for the swap. Since you’ve already completed, there is practically no way you’d be able to get hold of one. Please specify the alterations done with pics if possible..

Since you mentioned lorry to a cab transition, guess number of seats are also going to get effected, which is impossible to alter legally. You can obtain a regd document paper (commonly known as the book) with the altered figures upon bribing (This is SL) but that’s only a temporary thing, original records will never be updated so subsequent transfers will appear with original figures .

I’d suggest that you run the vehicle as it is (with the modifications).risk at only when you go for sale, lease, loan or comprehensive insurance policy.

MINIACE

i run a 87' isuzu 250(butterfly) with a cabin and cargo area from a newer model(02) and another one with a tipper conversion...so far no problems with either...but i've always kept the chasis and the engine combo the same...

are all your modifications cosmetical or did you replace the engine that came with the chasis?...in other words does the chasis/engine numbers on the vehicle match with the ones on the registration book?

as miniace said i suggest running it as it is

Hi All,

I contacted RMV guys.

They said that body typr tranfer is ok and can be updated. and since i have not changed the engine and chasis i can run the vehicle as it tis only by informing the rmv of the color change and weight change of the vehicle. luckily seating capacity remians same.

So thanks al you guys. I gathered a lot from this thread beofre i go to rmv to talk the matter..