• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Help In Buying Old Suv

nihal199

Hi! I am kinda new to this forum & new to the world of automobile modifications.....

I want to buy an old SUV to myself & heard this forum help people to get information about them. These are the choices have in my mind,

1) Willys CJ...

2) Toyota BJ40

3) Mitsubishi J series

what is the best from these three maintenancewisely and are there any SWB SUVs else than I mentioned...

and if for off road modification what places are good in Sri-Lanka to do so.....

Hi! I am kinda new to this forum & new to the world of automobile modifications.....

I want to buy an old SUV to myself & heard this forum help people to get information about them. These are the choices have in my mind,

1) Willys CJ...

2) Toyota BJ40

3) Mitsubishi J series

what is the best from these three maintenancewisely and are there any SWB SUVs else than I mentioned...

and if for off road modification what places are good in Sri-Lanka to do so.....

welcome on board

I would suggest J series me being bias with highly infected J44 decease since early childhood. :rolleyes: However, which to pick whether a J24 or 44 or a 56 is depending on your intend of use. For family and everyday use a J44 would suffice where as for off road and modifications J56 and J24 would be ideal.

Toyota BJ is equally alright but when it comes to maintenance J44 is ahead IMO due to timing wheel driven rugged 4DR5 engine, and reliable suspension and drive train.

Edited by harshansenadhir

welcome on board

I would suggest J series me being bias with highly infected J44 decease since early childhood. :rolleyes: However, which to pick whether a J24 or 44 or a 56 is depending on your intend of use. For family and everyday use a J44 would suffice where as for off road and modifications J56 and J24 would be ideal.

Toyota BJ is equally alright but when it comes to maintenance J44 is ahead IMO due to timing wheel driven rugged 4DR5 engine, and reliable suspension and drive train.

Thanks for the infomation friend

land rover series 1 or 2 short wheel base is also an option for you...there are some decent examples around the 350,000Rs mark,but you'll have to spend about 200k additionally to make it presentable.

Edited by MasterDon

land rover series 1 or 2 short wheel base is also an option for you...there are some decent examples around the 350,000Rs mark,but you'll have to spend about 200k additionally to make it presentable.

Thanks but im not in 2 Land rover that series

Thanks but im not in 2 Land rover that series

Not many are my friend, not many are.......... :rolleyes:

Just think about this 1950's design set the standard and created the SUV which now others emulate.

If you are a serious off roader type then any old vehicle will do as a base to start.

Then its only limited by your wallet.

New engines, transmissions, diff locks, winches, tires, snorkel, roll cage, waterproofing....lights.....rally computer........

I have driven some BJs with water upto ma nose.......not standard for sure lol.

So have fun & welcome .

Hello. J44 will be the better option overall. Good offroad capabilities, can be modified heavily, better on availability of parts, reliable, better resaleability. You will also be able to find a decent one without much of an effort at a reasonable price.

Forget about the CJ! Very few on roads and you will for sure have a problem with parts. Don't fall into that trap. Everyday you will have to run around the country (Kurunegala, Kandy etc in other vehicles) to find parts for the CJ! Clearly leave that out.

Please drop a personal message to know of places that can do solid modifications.

How about a J36?

Hard top, 5 (apparently 6) doors, front facing seats for backrow passengers as well

guess this was the transition point for Mitsubishi from the J series to Pajero

best feature for me is the three wipers :)

Edited by HardHat

Hello. J44 will be the better option overall. Good offroad capabilities, can be modified heavily, better on availability of parts, reliable, better resaleability. You will also be able to find a decent one without much of an effort at a reasonable price.

Forget about the CJ! Very few on roads and you will for sure have a problem with parts. Don't fall into that trap. Everyday you will have to run around the country (Kurunegala, Kandy etc in other vehicles) to find parts for the CJ! Clearly leave that out.

Please drop a personal message to know of places that can do solid modifications.

I thought to go for a CJ coz I can find plenty of spares for that. but do realised that CJs are very rare in SL.

I can give all the accessories need a skilled person to make them together...coz this is my starter for off-roads.....