• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Modifying Maruti 800 & Alto

Ek3

most peoples thinks only marutis have side impact bars and crumple zones because, jap cars does not really advertise these features simply because they have many more features to say about than these default features.

jap are talks about Air bags, ABS, EBD, traction control, ESP ........bla bla

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Machan dis doesnt have Crumple zone and a collapsible steering.....

Er, if your talking about the corolla, it does indeed have both those features, because crumple zones and collapsible steering columns have been standard fitment in most cars for nearly 30 years.... therefore, most manufacturers dont bother to mention them in spec sheets. Unlike Maruti of course, which only started thinking about such things very recently.

Okay........in u r point of view MARUTIZ r BAD neda?????

mate, u don't understand the thing,

I'm not telling marutis are bad. and also I'm own a maruti Alto and I'm really happy with it.

what i'm telling is they are doing cheap marketing and don't get caught to it. New models like Swift have better safety and other features. What i'm says is " have an open mind" and think.

Still indian automobiles are far more behind than jap.

Edited by Miyuru Daminda

guys we all need to take a few Chill pills lol.

BTW am using an Alto from yesterday just to see what all da fuss is about..........

Lets see eh? Will drive it for a few days ( Actually being chaffuer driven haha ) thats the best eh?

happened in the night when i was doing at a bit speed close to 120 and to see an oncoming car turned to a by road without indicating and half way

Mate,

Regardless of the car you’re driving or the braking capability of the car, the above scenario borders on a criminal activity. As far as I know there are no 120KM zones in Sri Lanka.

Not piling on you specifically...

IMO It may be the case SC had rules on speed zones but common sense should prevail at least among the educated bunch of the country on the social responsibility when driving.

What is the Autolanka policy on this? Can the users post potentially illegal activities on the forum?

Keep in mind there are probably 1000's of people reading this forum and some might take the good advice along with the bad examples.

Mate,

Regardless of the car you’re driving or the braking capability of the car, the above scenario borders on a criminal activity. As far as I know there are no 120KM zones in Sri Lanka.

IMO It may be the case SC had rules on speed zones but common sense should prevail at least among the educated bunch of the country on the social responsibility when driving.

What is the Autolanka policy on this? Can the users post potentially illegal activities on the forum?

Keep in mind there are probably 1000's of people reading this forum and some might take the good advice along with the bad examples.

see, I didn't post this as a bad example for someone to learn from or to speak, not to learn to speed at 120 but to take the learning part of it. It all depends on how the reader(s) take it and controlling forum postings to baby sit readers is something I don't agree. Readers have their own brains to think and act, they can't hit a car or person at 120 kmph and claim that I did it coz a person posted it in a forum.

see, I didn't post this as a bad example for someone to learn from or to speak, not to learn to speed at 120 but to take the learning part of it. It all depends on how the reader(s) take it and controlling forum postings to baby sit readers is something I don't agree. Readers have their own brains to think and act, they can't hit a car or person at 120 kmph and claim that I did it coz a person posted it in a forum.

and reaching 120 aint no biggie and how many folks does it on our roads on a daily basis.. :D

gotta love the newbie handles popping up this fast only to reply on this thread :lol:

mate, u don't understand the thing,

I'm not telling marutis are bad. and also I'm own a maruti Alto and I'm really happy with it.

what i'm telling is they are doing cheap marketing and don't get caught to it. New models like Swift have better safety and other features. What i'm says is " have an open mind" and think.

Still indian automobiles are far more behind than jap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_industry_in_India

and reaching 120 aint no biggie and how many folks does it on our roads on a daily basis.. :D

gotta love the newbie handles popping up this fast only to reply on this thread :lol:

The latest poster has been around since 2007, although this is his very first post!

machan those people think for us to reach 120km we need atlest 10KM strech without bends, they dnt know on a quater mile strech people do 170+ (eg, GP)

Cars like Maruti? ;)

yup of course..Itz a big speed in a MARUTI.Its not a big speed in those "Jap" carz.....Cause they are fast and are safe........

If jap people built crap these people will say dat itz da best......but usually Japanese people does not build crap

yup of course..Itz a big speed in a MARUTI.Its not a big speed in those "Jap" carz.....Cause they are fast and are safe........

If jap people built crap these people will say dat itz da best......but usually Japanese people does not build crap

well whoever builts crap is crap mate, and petrolheads in this forum does not blindly bias towards certain set of brands as you claim. Do read around to see most of forum members praised nano being a novelty concept, economical and still managed to get through euro crash test which some vehicle models utterly failed with 0 ranking. Remember that landwind story?

This is what you call pure prejudice and ignorance. How bout you check back over the discussions on Kei cars and buddy vans? Do you think ppl would say cars like the Subaru R2 are 100kmph+ speed machines?

Look dude, we call a spade a spade around here. If its crap, then its crap. It may be the only affordable thing, but you still know its crap and you are getting it coz its cheap. If BMW builds crap, then thats what ppl will say.

Mate,

diehard you got a very good point mate. no questions about it, excessive speeding is not healthy no matter how good your car is.

but if you take a close look at harshan's post, he mentioned that indecent not to boast about his ability or fondness to drive fast but to compare a certain functionality between two cars/brands.

ignore the sarcasm. just because one person jump to a well doesn't mean you have to follow his actions too. it is because of this sort of mentality that there's such indiscipline among local motorists which i myself is guilty of.

lot has been said in this thread, i simply couldn't contain myself but to butt in my two cents LOL (plus i'm utterly jobless today).

first of all i doubt anyone's trying to market a certain brand or a car. if the accused individual is in the marketing industry he better think hard about his future.

what i observed is half way down this tread the argument turned into Jap vs Indian car debate. i simply fail to understand why anyone would try to draw comparisons between these two. Jap cars are made to a completely different market segment compared to the Indian cars. Us sri lankans area lucky enough tohave access to both (thank you JRJ). both brands have pros and cons and they appeal to people in different ways. as i've mentioned certain people like to buy new stuff and for certain people that is not something on the top of their list. a good example is wealthy individuals fondness to buy brand new Jap and Euro cars when there are slightly used ones available for much cheaper. does that mean the individual that purchase a brand-new vehicle got poor spending habit or lacks financial acumen. No, its just his personnel preference (super natural floor is open to you mate)

a key point many of you have over looked is the vintage of the available alternatives for money of a brand-new Maruti. (i do agree Maruti's can't be considered economical anymore). this brings to a point i have expressed over and over, how the livelihood of a sri lankans have degraded over the years (thank you MRM). People don’t even think of unreg cars when hunting for a car anymore.

on the issue of safety features, other than comfort of knowing that Jap cars been built solid how can one identify/know that other safety features like air bags are functioning properly after so many years of use (or abuse) and specially after been passed through so many 'maka basses'. Indian cars are made for 3rd world markets where much worse atrocities take place other than injuries caused due to lack of air bags or other safety features of an automobile.

Don’t mean to hijack the thread. I am a keen reader of the forum and have done so for many years while picking up many valuable points.

Just want to point out the following post as well. The discussion changed from Maruti modifications to comparing Japanese/European cars features (safety) vs Indian cars features (lack of safety). Few examples given by the well meaning posters to prove the case for Jap/Euro cars included anecdotes like the following. I’d leave the judgement to the readers.

One day after office we left at the same time and eventually broke out a road rage between my old 504 which then had worn out smoking black, oil pouring, under compression 1C diesel engine and his M800 and I manage to overrun with 4 on board where in his car there were only 2. I was leading and heading towards a zebra crossing to realize there are pedestrians already commenced crossing. Stepped on brakes and managed to stop from 80+ within a matter of less than 10 meters. then i saw my friends M800 on the mirror making funny maneuvers with tire screeching sounds and couldn't stop but barely managed to escape an accident. He gave up on the rage...

machan those people think for us to reach 120km we need atlest 10KM strech without bends, they dnt know on a quater mile strech people do 170+ (eg, GP)

As long as you are doing this in a designated racing track or in an area where you are absolutely 100% sure of no harm to others, it is great!

On the point of modifying Marutis

Whole idea doesn’t make sense. On the other hand there is a saying “Unhapuluwata uge patiya lassani”.

My experience with Marutis is just two week car rental from C***** F*****. Gear change was horrible and without power steering it felt like driving a pro cart. I won’t ever rent one again or let anybody I know to buy one. (Be it Alto/Maruti/Indica) However that is my personal prejudice.

Banding any poster who dares to speak out against the common direction of the discussion as an evil corporate crony just doesn’t make any sense. I am not even living in SL and have no stake in propping any brands. Hope that the common sense prevails over the internet fuelled message board bravado when having a constructive debate.

Ta :)

After reading all the above comments i think i can agree mostly with shamishka on the alto ,

i went and had a look at the new alto and the sales team was really convincing about the safely, handling and the looks , infact they gave me a good offer for my Mini which i thought i will go for it , i was quite satisfied with the drivability.

for the Mini there is no agent in SL, where as for the alto there is a good agent ( i only saw some bad comments about the accident repair center, which i will keep the speeds limited to avoid such situation )

i get a 2008 model car with the tradein for a 1993 model car by paying only few lakhs ,what ever it is, it's an english numbered newer car.

since i have lot of suppliers coming from India , i feel it is a Plus point when i say " i came in my new 2008 alto to pick you up" so by the time i reach colombo from airport , the ice is broken .

what do you guys think ? should i go for the alto or the wagon R ??

http://www.vicky.in/straightfrmtheheart/in...uropean-market/