• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw 316i

yzt

Question

Hi Guys,

I'm newbie to motor vehicle subject and planing to start with BMW 316i cus my budget is permit only around SLR 500-600k. Any advice recommendation etc.. is highly appreciate cus it wasn't easy decision at all. just want to know fuel and maintenance cost etc... where can i look for 316i model

thks

yzt

Edited by yzt

21 answers to this question

Hi Guys,

I'm newbie to motor vehicle subject and planing to start with BMW 316i cus my budget is permit only around SLR 500-600k. Any advice recommendation etc.. is highly appreciate cus it wasn't easy decision at all. just want to know fuel and maintenance cost etc... where can i look for 316i model

thks

yzt

As Ace pointed out, subject has been extensively discussed before... like here

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?showtopic=4779

and here

http://forum.autolanka.com/index.php?showtopic=5933

You can start looking for them in the Newspapers. Sunday Observer and the H_I_T A_D of the Sunday times generally have a couple of cars up for sale... Im guessing "Silumina" will have some too.

500-600k might not be quite enough to secure a really nice example of the E30 though. Current (Quoted) Prices for decent cars are around 850k average.... however with the current market you never know, since buyers are limited you might be able to get a good deal. Personally speaking I'd say budget for at least 750k because you might well have a few things to sort out in the example you buy, the newest E30s are 18 years old after all!!

Word of advice, DO NOT buy a really cheap car unless youve had it completely inspected and cleared by someone who knows BMWs. It will turn out to be a headache otherwise because these cars are a bit more complex than the average jap, so the little things if left unattended can snowball into a big problem.

Anyway, once you find a good example you'll never regret buying one because they really are wonderful vehicles. Good luck with the hunt, and let us know when you find one!

Apologies for hijacking the thread ;) are there any E30 coupes on the road? Spotted an E36 coupe (Black) the other day, any others?

No E30 coupes, one White E30 Convertible. a 320i.... Couple of E36 coupes, all in dark colors, Including an M3.

No E30 coupes, one White E30 Convertible. a 320i.... Couple of E36 coupes, all in dark colors, Including an M3.

Righty.. thought I'd seen another dark purple/black E36 a while back too. The Black one I saw the other day had an M badge on it, so it's a proper M3 then, is it? If so, NICE B)

by all means the M series is a nice ride .. and a head turner .... lovely car if u have a convertable specially in SL ..... damn you are the one of the gifted and back on the topic true if there are unchecked small problems it will be a real headake cos when beemers start giving you trouble it never ends until you empty your pockets and i'll tell you thats not a nice experence to go through .....

Edited by kotte mafia

is that the dark blue M3 on K* plates is a real one ?

Not sure if its the same car but my friend who is a very very well known racing driver of printer fame also has an M3 if what I saw is real????

he aint a guy who's gonna drive a phony one now is he ? .......

Just curious, whats the modle numer for those 18- and 19- MBW 3 series that we see on the road? are they good in terms of performance and relialbility? cuz i have seen them going for very cheap :unsure:

Just curious, whats the modle numer for those 18- and 19- MBW 3 series that we see on the road? are they good in terms of performance and relialbility? cuz i have seen them going for very cheap :unsure:

The 18, 19 - and upwards 3 Series, the one with the square glass headlights, is called the E36. VVTI just bought one, he should be able to comment.

The 18, 19 - and upwards 3 Series, the one with the square glass headlights, is called the E36. VVTI just bought one, he should be able to comment.

yep, that is the E36. Came in many guises and it took me 3 years to find the ideal model. :) Many cars in SL are still in great running condition though some have really neglected them and have basically run them to the ground. A shame really.

It is a great car, some say it is the model that put BMW firmly at the top of the game. Which it still maintains. As with any car, you can really mess up if you try to cut corners when it comes to servicing and repairs.

People think that a BMW is like the space shuttle. Its not. Its just well built cars that need as mush attention as your Swift or for the argument sake, Maruti. Neglect the normal things and you will end up with a hefty bill. Isn't that true for any car on the road?

If you want one, look at as many as you can. Get an idea of what they ask and compare it to the condition of the cars. I saw some crazy examples of HOW NOT TO USE YOUR BMW!! And these guys normally ask for low prices to get rid of the damn thing. Lovingly maintained ones will still fetch up to 2 mill depending on the options, and how serious the seller is. But 15-18 will be a reasonable price for a reasonably well maintained car. You have to be your own judge on this.

Performance wise.... well...... mine's a 6 cyl 2.5 litre. (323i) and as one would expect from a vehicle with that sort of engine, it can get a bit thirsty. But the only downside for me is that its a Auto box, but I just grabbed it because one cannot muck about when one is faced with such a well maintained 13 year old car!!!

Ripper will confirm that fact as he saw it.

My advise is, LOOK AROUND. Don't rush in to it. I started my hunt for a E36 in 2005! Because for you to get an old E36, you really really have to WANT one and has to be prepared to be with it for a long time. Its like a marriage. :) You will have your good times, and you will have your bad time. But you must love it enough to put up with it.

Besides, there is such an extensive following for this car worldwide that all the answers you need are a click away. Including some members here on AL who knows their way around the car.

If you want it, GO FOR IT!!! You will not regret it.

I have been trying get hold of 316i still didn't have much luck except with few really hacked cars, anybody out there as owners of 316i model to have a chat to see the maintenance cost, servicing cost etc... the way things are going seems to me, it is very hard to find a good one plz feel free to leave your email address or just drop me a mail at [email protected] so I can buzz you guys to know few things :)

wel done vvti machang .... i can really see how you feel about the beemer .... you cannot put it better than that ... i've been a lovely dad to my beemer for almost close to 2 years now and it has been a fun drive its a 325i and every time you get into it you feel like theres something special and it makes your day more brighter when the day is done and your fed up with work it gives you the pleasure of driving it back home in the motorway or in the twisty service roads and now and then the sleeper can burst into fire and kick some ass of some wana bee racer and make him loose his mind when you smoke when he least expect and you can take your date to a italian Restaurant late night without thinking will you fit in with the croud .... its very practical car for a normal guy .... i love it

wel done vvti machang .... i can really see how you feel about the beemer .... you cannot put it better than that ... i've been a lovely dad to my beemer for almost close to 2 years now and it has been a fun drive its a 325i and every time you get into it you feel like theres something special and it makes your day more brighter when the day is done and your fed up with work it gives you the pleasure of driving it back home in the motorway or in the twisty service roads and now and then the sleeper can burst into fire and kick some ass of some wana bee racer and make him loose his mind when you smoke when he least expect and you can take your date to a italian Restaurant late night without thinking will you fit in with the croud .... its very practical car for a normal guy .... i love it

Thanks mate. just laid it out as it is.... saw some time ago that you were from STC Kotte... join the club. Left in 1991.