• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Return Of The Dodge Challenger?

Pericles

Either Dodge is thinking they can cash in on the Challenger like Ford with the Mustang, or they are trying to capitalise on "The Dukes of Hazzard". Or both :)

challenger216002sj.th.jpg

challenger9if.th.jpg

challengerback10249ik.th.jpg

challengerwall110240cg.th.jpg

There also seems to be a Chevrolet Camaro Concept in the works

http://www.usemycomputer.com/pics/index.ph...meroconcept.jpg

http://www.usemycomputer.com/pics/index.ph...ncept%20(1).jpg

http://www.usemycomputer.com/pics/index.ph...ncept%20(2).jpg

http://www.usemycomputer.com/pics/index.ph...ncept%20(3).jpg

I like some of these retro models that are coming out. But it also makes me wonder if these manufacturers are running out of design creativity.

The Germans and the Japs don't seem to have this problem though. Some of the production ready concepts that have been displayed at verious auto shows indicates some stunning new shapes to come.

Cheers

Duncan

TeamAutolanka

That's exactly what's going on with American car makers. They've tried bringing back the Charger (which has been quite a flop), they failed miserably with the GTO by trying to sell off a holden with a GTO sticker on it, and now the challenger (I believe it's sitting on the old Mercedes CL chassis?..i might be wrong).

These were amazing cars back in the day, they really don't have much left in them, and it looks like they're trying to take whatever bit of respect they gained over the years down with them!

I don't think they're trying to follow Ford's mustang..the mustang never really went out of production, its just been an okay car all the way through. The challenger on the other hand was in production for a pretty short period, and was and is a legend...they're just slinging mud all over themselves by doing such a bad job bringing these cars back!

I like some of these retro models that are coming out. But it also makes me wonder if these manufacturers are running out of design creativity.

The Germans and the Japs don't seem to have this problem though. Some of the production ready concepts that have been displayed at verious auto shows indicates some stunning new shapes to come.

Cheers

Duncan

TeamAutolanka

That seems to be story of the American auto industry. They seem to be trying there best to stay alive using sentimentality.. on the other hand the Japs are fearless, whether it be Nissan dropping the word 'skyline' from the new 'GT-R' or Honda phasing out it's NSX legend, or Toyota not worrying to much about not making a car called the 'Supra'

On the other hand the Caddy V series is something else!

personally, I cant stand retro. Its 2006, why do people want the streets to look like its 1970 again??

If you want retro, go out spend $50k on a restored car from the 60s-70s. that'st he real deal. not a knockoff with plastic trim...

edit: the japs are hinting to this retro look as well.. look at the FJ cruiser

That seems to be story of the American auto industry. They seem to be trying there best to stay alive using sentimentality.. on the other hand the Japs are fearless, whether it be Nissan dropping the word 'skyline' from the new 'GT-R' or Honda phasing out it's NSX legend, or Toyota not worrying to much about not making a car called the 'Supra'

On the other hand the Caddy V series is something else!

Very True. but still I love the look of this mean piece of machine reliving the golden days of 70's, have heard from lotz of adults that 70's was the best decade EVER!!! dunno hw many of you agree, in my case no personal experience about 70's...

The Challenger sits on the platform that underpins the new Chrysler 300, Dodge Magnum/Charger and looks damn good, atleast in my opinion. The Camaro also, WHICH I'M REALLY HAPPY ABOUT, looks awesome too. Hopefully, by the time I get out of college and get a decent job, the new Camaro will hit the dealers and guess what my first NEW car is gonna be ???

well even lambo is goin back in time wit its miura...strikingly resembles the Ford GT

I think the new Miura resembles the original Miura, not quite the Ford GT. Its an homage to the original.

Dodge got it wrong with the new Charger. They were trying to pass off a modern 4-door as a muscle car and it just didn't pan out so hopefully they get the Challenger right.

There is a precdent for redbadging exercises like this going horribly wrong. In the late eighties or early nineties, GM came back with a new Chevy Nova, except that it was a rebadged front-wheel drive, 4-pot Toyota Sprinter. Imagine that! A POS Yoda being given gifted a name with so much emotional muscle-car cachet. How depleted can their creative resources have been? Its just another example of how out-of-tune Detroit executives are to real-world car buyers.

Personally I think that if retro is done right, its f**king pimpin'. The new shape Mustang is undeniably hot and this new Challenger doesn't look half-bad.

I think the new Miura resembles the original Miura, not quite the Ford GT. Its an homage to the original.

true the new n old Miura r spot on but the curves seem to resemble d Ford GT...jus look at d car at diffrnt angles :mellow: i guess dats cos both cars came out in d 60's n so it mightv bin a mainstream shape...jus sayin

I don't think they're trying to follow Ford's mustang..the mustang never really went out of production, its just been an okay car all the way through. The challenger on the other hand was in production for a pretty short period, and was and is a legend...they're just slinging mud all over themselves by doing such a bad job bringing these cars back!

Think u missed my point. Point being, the mustang might have been in production through out, but ppl were progressively getting less interested in it. Lotsa comments like "The mustang became a pony" and stuff. Where as the new Mustang, at least has people looking. A modernised Icon. And whatever the selling power, its priceless in terms of publicity. Anyway, according to TopGear, the average time for a mustang between getting to the dealer floor and being sold, is 15 minutes. On a personal note, I was admiring an Enzo Ferrari and I saw a Mustang 05 parked near by and wandered off to have a look. I mean, I left the Enzo to look at it. They must have done something right with this :mellow: I would have never done that for any 90's Mustang. Imagine the pull for those old icon muscle car manufacturers. VW tried to recreate it's icon. good, but not upto the original. Mini tried. Lovely car, but not the same. Then there was the Mustang.... well, the jury is still out on that. Only been around for a year, after all. And if that 15 min floor time is anything to go by...

So, if Dodge can pull it off...

BTW, what was that car in Dukes of Hazzard? Challenger? Charger?