• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

I Think I Killed The Lancer

harshansenadhir

Engine gave up all of a sudden during a stressed effort to overtake around 5k rpm.. Manage to disengage the clutch immediately after i heard the wierd noise and loss of power. Waiting for the mechanic to diagnose and didn't wanna crank the engine and further damage it if thats a tbelt failure. What else can cause an engine to die once in high rpm?

P.S : mods please change the topic name as 'i think i killed the lancer' t9 sometimes not as user friendly as qwerty

Edited by harshansenadhir

Engine gave up all of a sudden during a stressed effort to overtake around 5k rpm.. Manage to disengage the clutch immediately after i heard the wierd noise and loss of power. Waiting for the mechanic to diagnose and didn't wanna crank the engine and further damage it if thats a tbelt failure. What else can cause an engine to die once in high rpm?

P.S : mods please change the topic name as 'i think i killed the lancer' t9 sometimes not as user friendly as qwerty

same happened to me when i was at katu few weeks back. no noises but the motor just cut out only to come back on the next time i cranked...

was at the track pretty early and couldn't resist the temptation to let er rip... didn't even know i was on high rpm in the back straight when the engine cut out... since the track was empty i had no issues coming to a controlled stop without power or brakes... :)

apparently some of the ECU's have a cut off point for safety reasons and day before yesterday i found out that two of my injectors were also blocked pretty badly...

dunno if it was the injector block or the ecu that killed the motor but i was happy that it came back :)

does the engine get jammed if u break the T-belt at high RPM..? does it cause any serious mechanical damages?

Few years back same thing happened Nissan Vannate van. Cam shaft broken in to 3 pieces, few valves bend. Had to changed entire cylinder head, cam shaft, valves.

does the engine get jammed if u break the T-belt at high RPM..? does it cause any serious mechanical damages?

depends on your engine. if its an interference engine the valves will come into contact with the pistons and cause some serious damage. if its a non interference engine replacing the t-belt would be the only repair you'll have to do.

Hey machan.. i had a kind of a smililar exp some time back. but i was revving the engine pass the reline in 1st gear :rolleyes: suddenly e felt the ride getting slow so i kicked the gear to 2nd and drove off.. didnt have any problem.. is your T belt still in tact ? :mellow:

sorry for replying late, had a tired day towing the car back to kottawa from borella. And i was right it's the t belt gave up. Coincidently i told my mechanic that we'll replace the tbelt during the long weekend but i wasn't lucky enough to hold that longer. However on the surface there aren't any damages than the t belt and the rollers plus worn out cam and crank oil seals which spill oil into t belt casing which in return was a reason to weaken the belt. Thanks to disengaging the clutch immediately engine saved it seems but too early to comment as they're in the process of replacing the belt before lifting the head. Will provide an update in the morning.

same happened to me when i was at katu few weeks back. no noises but the motor just cut out only to come back on the next time i cranked...

was at the track pretty early and couldn't resist the temptation to let er rip... didn't even know i was on high rpm in the back straight when the engine cut out... since the track was empty i had no issues coming to a controlled stop without power or brakes... :)

apparently some of the ECU's have a cut off point for safety reasons and day before yesterday i found out that two of my injectors were also blocked pretty badly...

dunno if it was the injector block or the ecu that killed the motor but i was happy that it came back :)

glad that it's alive, however if you've broken a t belt and you suspect that you did, cranking can further damage the engine.

depends on your engine. if its an interference engine the valves will come into contact with the pistons and cause some serious damage. if its a non interference engine replacing the t-belt would be the only repair you'll have to do.

spot on.

usually if it's an OHV engine in which valves open into the combustion chamber beyond the upper limit (TDC) of piston travel, breaking T-belt could do harm ranging from deformed valves to broken rocker arms, broken cam shafts and damaged pistons.

if your engine stalled and you suspect that T-belt broke, cranking the engine again is a big NO-NO

ok here goes, replaced the T-belt, rollers oil seals all during last night it self and engine refuse to fire .. lifted the head to see some of the valves got damaged.. dismantling the rest to see is there any further damages to the connecting rods and crank and pistons..

Once while i was at cruising speeds in mid RPMs, felt a weird noise and the motor died, luckily i got to park in a sideway without any trouble. Did try cranking few times, but did figure out that it is the broken T-Belt. Anyway, I was lucky, nothing major, just few bent valves, but yeah a costed a lot of time and some money, as I also replaced headgasket, water pump, t.belt tensioner and stuff (Honda D15B)

Once while i was at cruising speeds in mid RPMs, felt a weird noise and the motor died, luckily i got to park in a sideway without any trouble. Did try cranking few times, but did figure out that it is the broken T-Belt. Anyway, I was lucky, nothing major, just few bent valves, but yeah a costed a lot of time and some money, as I also replaced headgasket, water pump, t.belt tensioner and stuff (Honda D15B)

Machan what is the time period we should change T-belt in D15B... Precaution is better than cure ne :rolleyes:

Is ur car a CK2?

Is ur car a CK2?

According to Harshan's signature it seems to be either a C12 (Carburettor) or a C13 (Turbo-EFI).

By the way in 1991, the T-belt of my father's 1984 Lancer C12 broke between 100000km - 150000km.

Thereafter he also tried cranking 2 - 3 times.

Next day a new T-belt was installed, and there were no engine damage. The car ran trouble free until a full engine overhaul was done at around 225000km (in 1997).

What I have heard is that only EFI engines sustain severe damage if cranked with the T-Belt broken.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Edited by samishka

According to Harshan's signature it seems to be either a C12 (Carburettor) or a C13 (Turbo-EFI).

By the way in 1991, the T-belt of my father's 1984 Lancer C12 broke between 100000km - 150000km.

Thereafter he also tried cranking 2 - 3 times.

Next day a new T-belt was installed, and there were no engine damage. The car ran trouble free until a full engine overhaul was done at around 225000km (in 1997).

What I have heard is that only EFI engines sustain severe damage if cranked with the T-Belt broken.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

yes, samishka it's a c12 fiore with 4G15 carb engine. Quite contrary in valve damage story coz although i managed to disengage clutch immediately it gotten damaged valves. Depends on valve clearance

Machan what is the time period we should change T-belt in D15B... Precaution is better than cure ne :rolleyes:

first change after 80,000 Km's then change continuosly after every 60-70k you do. (yeah yeah people are gonna say you can run longer, but as MkX says, Better safe than sorry.)

yes, samishka it's a c12 fiore with 4G15 carb engine. Quite contrary in valve damage story coz although i managed to disengage clutch immediately it gotten damaged valves. Depends on valve clearance

even if you disengage the clutch the engine still rotates a round or two to come to a complete stop, enough to make a few valves come into contact with pistons

the T-belt change interval is 100,000km in in most manufacturer's service manuals. better not go beyond that in any case

the factory fitted belt might outlast 100k but every subsequent change better done around 80-85k intervals

if you bought a used car, better start by changing the T-belt if not 100% sure about the previous service records - same for any replacenment / reconditioned engine bought out of shelf

and one more thing, this is one piece of spare part you must go for "genuine" even if it costs a bit extra - although "genuine" is a relative term in SL

sorry about your car machan

while doing the timing belt up why dont you check the state of the piston rings and if needed change them too to prevent future issues with it

Do you buy parts from ######## or some other place? where else can u buy Mitsu parts there ( good parts that last long )