• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mitsubishi Montero / Nissan Patrol / Toyota Landcruiser - Petrol To Diesel Conversion

xstreme911

Hi. I have been looking at buying one of the following vehicles - either a Montero or Patrol or Land Cruiser as a petrol model and converting this to diesel (as in taking out the petrol engine and putting in a diesel one). As I love these jeeps, but the cost of the original diesel version is too high and the cost of running on petrol is crazy!

1. Has anyone got any experience in doing this?

2. Who would be best to do such a conversion?

3. Would they handle all the paperwork as well? (with RMV etc.)

4. What are the main advantages and disadvantages of doing this conversion?

5. I'm most keen on the Montero - roughly what costs would I be looking at if I were to buy a 2002 Montero and do the conversion? If I do this on a Montero would it be better to get the GDI model (which is cheaper than the V6) in order to reduce costs further?

6. Would it be cheaper if I did this on a Patrol or Land Cruiser of the same year of manufacture?

7. Since the engine is coming out of the jeep is it a problem if it has done many km's? (As in a high km jeep will cost less but since I'm taking out the engine and putting in a new one the high km's should not matter right? Except from the point of view of more wear and tear on the other parts of the jeep).

8. Would this diesel conversion be the best option or should I look at converting to gas? And if so what is the advise anyone can give based on the above?

Look forward to hearing your opinions on this matter............

Never heard of anyone doing such a conversion but I can answer some of your questions. lets start with the car which should definitely be a montero cos its a much better machine compared to the lc of that vintage. go for a gdi cos that's the cheapest version and you are getting rid of its most troublesome part; the engine.

now to the conversion. first of all doing such a conversion on a modern car is a nightmare thanks to all the wiring and circuitary attached to the ecu. secondly there will be differences in the frame of your car so it will definitely not be a drop in conversion. and we are talking about massively powerful engines here. so it wont be easy as putting a 2c engine in a 504. an engine like the 4m41 serves out bucket loads of torque so i won't be surprised if the engine jumps out of its "home-made" mounts. eitherway i got some serious doubts if you can get it upto the original conditions of a factory fitted diesels most probably you'll end up with a 325- number and you'll be riding around telling the world you bought a petrol car cos you couldn't stretch the pennies to buy a diesel and you converted it cos you wanted the running costs of a diesel so if it was me that would be enough to put me off completely cos i'd look really cheap.

i think going with a lpg conversion is the best way to avoid such an expensive messup. however avoid gdis if you go with lpg.

Hi JadeyBlitzen,

Thanks for the advice. Will definitely be looking at the Montero, as it is the jeep that I'm most interested in.

I don't know if you'll have a 325- no. (like all the petrol Defenders that have been converted), as the new numbering system uses the 'english no's' like JZ _ _ _ _. So I don't know if there will be the issue of anyone knowing this was a converted vehicle but I see your point. Also I have seen one or two petrol to diesel converted Monteros advertised - the asking price is just a little under that of a factory fitted diesel of the same year/model, and the licence plate wasn't 325- if I remember correctly.

Also you've advised of the LPG conversion option - any info. on the reliability/disadvantages of this? If converting a V6 Montero any ideas on the costs? And as a percentage what sort of performance reduction will you face?

Look forward to hearing back from you as well as anyone elses views.

If you want to sort out RMV matters properly, it will be 325 number you will get for sure.

About this project, this is my openion and you may disregard it completely at your discretion. A new engine, plus engine mounts plus labour will surely cost you at least Rs 450,000/=

Even after spending that money and effort, you won't be guaranteed that the machine will be as good as its orginal fuel it was meant to run on (possibility of vibrations, higher wear and tear of parts etc). People don't do gas conversions any more because it was a complete failure. It ruines engines.

Although people do this type of conversions to older vehicles, for a 2002 model vehicle, this sounds quite awkward. Specially putting 325 number on a 2002 vehicle will kill its image.

You may ultimately be better off paying that extra cost for petrol.

If cost of fuel is such a big concern, you can consider the older version of Montero/Pajero original diesel which you can easily buy for Rs 4.5M

Cheers

L Board

LPG is better cos its a more straight forward conversion. however i don't have much faith in the conversions done in sl using universal kits. I'll leave an lpg exoert to comment on that. but my advice is getting a bespoke montero lpg conversion kit shipped to sl so you'll probably recieve an underfloor tank and the cutting and shutting could be minimised. performance wise it will be a little slower. as for economy it'll burn more fuel but since lpg is cheaper you'll be close to diesel levels of running costs.

xstreme911

my two pennies worth, if at all possible, scrap the conversion idea and go for an original Diesel, even if it means going for an older model not 2002

as many have pointed out above, what you have in mind is not a straightforward job, especialy for a relatively new vehicle as a 2002. Engine mounts, wiring and electronics will be the first line of problems. You might have to drop in a matching gear box (and perhaps differentials) as well. Might even need a front suspension upgrade as most diesel motors are heavier than their counterpart gasolines

or perhaps a gas conversion is an option but do some research and check out if the change of fuel results in a drop in HP and Tourque, which if occured will not be a pleasant expereince in a heavy SUV

if the vehicle you are going to convert is is presently having english no.'s den you'll retain the same no.. so ne vehicle registered after 2000 will hav a english number plate.u get 325- for pre-2000 registered vehicles (dat is vehicles presently having non english no.'s). once all the conversion documentation is done wit the RMV, you'l get a new plate with the diesel (D) logo in the number plate.

doin a conversion for a vehicle such as a montero requires a good mechanic and an excellent electrician. as most of the post 2000 model monteros have advanced computer systems. there are only a few technicians who hav the capability to meddle wit them.

convertin the vehicles you are interested in is not worth it, because once converted, it would hav cost you the same amount as buyin an original diesel. also the after sales value of a converted is much lower than an original diesel... i believe the best vehicles for conversions are vans...

had a few converted vehicles, the most common problem in all of them was the engine vibration due to the different sizes of the engine mounts, and the electronic glitches..

best option for you i would say is to go for a 2000 model 2.8 diesel fabric seat montero or a 97/98 model diesel (english no.) prado, these ar 2 vehicles i hav always had confidence in..

good luck in ur endeavours.

i hope you are talking about the 90 series here, that was introduced in 96 and the montero was introduced in 99. 'nuff said

no it still doesn't make any sense. can you elaborate on how your verdict that the Montero is a "much better machine" than LC was arrived at?

no it still doesn't make any sense. can you elaborate on how your verdict that the Montero is a "much better machine" than LC was arrived at?

i'll just mention the things i like in the montero better. its looks more modern, feels more solid, has more powerful engines, the interior is more upto date and uses better materials. its more planted has more space has the bigger sunroof and the 3rd row seating arrangement is better than even the current prado's.

i'll just mention the things i like in the montero better. its looks more modern, feels more solid, has more powerful engines, the interior is more upto date and uses better materials. its more planted has more space has the bigger sunroof and the 3rd row seating arrangement is better than even the current prado's.

let's drop this side topic. If we can give some help to the orginator of the thread let's give that info. Otherwise let's not battle over which Jeep is better since different people rate this differently. That is the beauty. Otherwise there will be demand for just one type :)

Edited by L board

let's drop this side topic. If we can give some help to the orginator of the thread let's give that info. Otherwise let's not battle over which Jeep is better since different people rate this differently. That is the beauty. Otherwise there will be demand for just one type :)

Let me add my 2 cents here... I think if you are seriously looking to purchase a recent model montero/prado/patrol, the cost of petrol is a non-issue. I mean seriously, if you are willing to pay that sort of money, I think you could afford the petrol :rolleyes:

Even if you are leasing one of these 4X4 units. In the event it does, perhaps you should look at another class of SUVs? Perhaps along the lines of a soft-roader (like the Tributes/HRV/CRV/Camis)?

Chris