• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Oils

Elvis_Pil

Question

Guys just wondering.. what engine oil do you use in your pride & joy?? Does the oil really make a substantial difference? Which of the brands over here would you go for? Are the premium brands really worth the price and do they clean the way the branding/advertising promises?? Anyway how do you judge the better oil- by how long you can run it or by the way it performs? What are the key factors that make you bias to a certain type or brand of oil? Is there anything different to consider when it comes to forced induction cars?

• Answers 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Guys just wondering.. what engine oil do you use in your pride & joy?? Does the oil really make a substantial difference? Which of the brands over here would you go for? Are the premium brands really worth the price and do they clean the way the branding/advertising promises?? Anyway how do you judge the better oil- by how long you can run it or by the way it performs? What are the key factors that make you bias to a certain type or brand of oil? Is there anything different to consider when it comes to forced induction cars?

Machan normally i use Mobile XHP with ##### n it increse the performance bt next time im not goin to use the ##### cus i thought it's useless to pay extra 1800.00 for oil

Machan normally i use Mobile XHP with ##### n it increse the performance bt next time im not goin to use the ##### cus i thought it's useless to pay extra 1800.00 for oil

1`

Cool scene.. I've heard that mixing ##### with semi/full synth oils causes sludge in the engine. Anyway I think it's a better investment to spend on better oils rather than mixing in treatments etc.

BP

i change oil every 4500km every time i change the serveice station guys say i can run more on it...

good topic machan...if it catches on i'll make it a sticky

i use Mobil Super XHP(i cant remember the grade off-hand)...i switchd from Castrol GTX...reason being i've heard gud reviews of the Mobil givin better high temperature protection...Nissans r known to run pretty hot and u shud c how quickly my temperature guage reaches mid-point! It's hardly volatile too so I dnt hav to worry abt topping up at all...

power n economy r gud enuf as it is...i never saw the need for synthetic cos i doubt i'd hav much of an improvement on those figures since i change my oil n filters well under 3000kms...adds up to the cost synthetic but i prefer monitorin n replacin regularly...i really wonder if synthetics last those 10000kms manufacturers suggest especially in local conditions

i judge oil by how it performs...not fussed abt how quickly the oil breaks down...

BP

i change oil every 4500km every time i change the serveice station guys say i can run more on it...

same here, i change oil evry 4000 - 4500 bt service guys say better to chage 5000+ bt now i decide to use only Mobil XHP n change oil every 4000 km n the oil filter......

good topic machan...if it catches on i'll make it a sticky

i use Mobil Super XHP(i cant remember the grade off-hand)...i switchd from Castrol GTX...reason being i've heard gud reviews of the Mobil givin better high temperature protection...Nissans r known to run pretty hot and u shud c how quickly my temperature guage reaches mid-point! It's hardly volatile too so I dnt hav to worry abt topping up at all...

power n economy r gud enuf as it is...i never saw the need for synthetic cos i doubt i'd hav much of an improvement on those figures since i change my oil n filters well under 3000kms...adds up to the cost synthetic but i prefer monitorin n replacin regularly...i really wonder if synthetics last those 10000kms manufacturers suggest especially in local conditions

i judge oil by how it performs...not fussed abt how quickly the oil breaks down...

Well the mobil-1 add claims to have run 40k on one oil change.. but I'm of the view that even if an oil lasts 10k it needs to be changed every 5 months at the most.. Yep the the Mobil XHP is a decent semi-synth oil- I think most of the Mighty SOHC's run it :D

anyone using Castrol or Helix??

:D u know i don't know :D

okey! let me check the can and tell you

Now see thats why you irritate people.. this is just a discussion.

I dont know, and was just asking. I could find out for my self next time I shop a laughs..

BP's good oil just curious to know its grade and performance compared to the cheaper brands

:D u know i don't know :D

okey! let me check the can and tell you

i dnt suppose u use synthetic so it's probably BP Visco 2000

Well the mobil-1 add claims to have run 40k on one oil change.. but I'm of the view that even if an oil lasts 10k it needs to be changed every 5 months at the most.. Yep the the Mobil XHP is a decent semi-synth oil- I think most of the Mighty SOHC's run it :D

ah im in the mighty SOHC league lol jk...i used Castrol GTX for a few services...had no troubles but it's sorta hard to compare to the Mobil since it was short term

40k is mad dude...i dnt think ppl in cleaner environments use Mobil 1 for that long...the tester mustve used it till it was a proper black gunk dat had to b scraped off!

Helix on the VZR and max's SiR. No I haven't had to change it yet. I'll stick with Helix when I do.

But keep this going. I'm learning a lot here :D

Helix on the VZR and max's SiR. No I haven't had to change it yet. I'll stick with Helix when I do.

But keep this going. I'm learning a lot here :D

Yep been hearing a lot of good stuff about Helix.. The gray bottle which is the premium in the range ie the Ultra 5w-40 comes recommended by Ferrari and for the use in performance engines- in particular turbo charged ones.

It costs about 5k which is still about 1.5k less than the Mobil Gold.

I've been running Helix Plus in our Primera for about 6 months now and to the naked eye oil still seems brand new. The Primera does only about 250km's a week and is consevatively driven.(in other words not by me!)

I dont know, and was just asking. I could find out for my self next time I shop a laughs..

BP's good oil just curious to know its grade and performance compared to the cheaper brands

:D

seriously man, i'd check and let u know, i really dint know...

as i knw BP is not expensive. i have used it once then move to CASTROL GTX

I use Mobile Super for My Honda and change it every 5000kms

And Castrol for the Toyota which also change it in every 5000kms

Castrol was recomended by my friend who works at Toyota..

this seems like a good thread to come back to .....

guys, why are sinthetic oils so muvh more expensive...its like 3 or 4 times the normal oil... right? so do people go for it even if they arent racing cars?

Machang, when we go to staford they say if we use Synthetic oil we can change the oil in 15,000kms unlike the normal oild where we change in 5,000kms. Its good for a person who runs 200kms daily cause he doent have to go for a service often. But my idea is that when we put normal oil and service time to time it keeps the car in good condtion...

this seems like a good thread to come back to .....

guys, why are sinthetic oils so muvh more expensive...its like 3 or 4 times the normal oil... right? so do people go for it even if they arent racing cars?

dilesh...synthetic oils as the name suggests is man-made...pure n a lot less susceptible to break down in extreme conditions such as high n low temperatures...but normal engine oils on the other hand r natural mineral oils n contain paraffins...they break down a lot faster formin sludge that lines ur engine (thats of course if u dnt change ur oil in time) plus they'r not as protectiv as synthetics...hence the significant price difference...synthetics cost 3 times as much cos they last 3 times as long relativ to a mineral oil's life...thats the difference in a nutshell

qud topic.. i too had many questions in regard.

talked with a senior engineer at Jinasena whom is responsible in maintainace of 150 odd vechicles including cars,vans,lorries,trucks, well ther are using Castrol and change by 10,000 milage. he said it could be used around till 15K as well. but they do change by 10K.

ya. he recommended Mobil as well.. either Mobil or Castrol to be used.

of course yes to Helix for those who can afford..

Waruna,Cheena,Sacha,etc - why no reply? we need ur help here..

Hi guys

I did an article sometime back. It might help.....

http://www.autolanka.com/Article_read.asp?article_id=102

Also remember, having a low milage is one thing, but if the vehicle stayes parked for long periods or does very little running, then your service intervals should be time based, rather than milage based.

Cheers