• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3 Vs Es8

kaushama

Hi I am a new member here who has returned to Sri Lanka after living in UK for few years. Car values and perceptions regarding various brands and models in Sri Lanka is very strange and does not follow any logic sometimes!!! :unsure:

I used to drive a Jaguar S 2006 when I was there but it is beyond my wildest dreams here. I need a good car with economy and good driving pleasure with good looks which could carry me from A to B.

So I settled for below 2.4 mil market (Which is almost the same value I paid for my S Jaguar in UK :blink: )

I considered folowing models.

• Toyota VIOS
  • Toyota 121
  • Nissan N16/17
  • Honda Civic (YOM 2000-2003 EK3 or ES8)
  • Mazda 323 ( Is it possible to buy Mazda 3 in this price range?)

I have driven most of the models above except Mazda 323 and VIOS.

Obviously Toyota 121 is not an option in this price range. N16 has poor fuel efficiency and bad reputation for its front suspension? VIOS??? Not so roomy but carries magical TOYOTA name!

I finally think Honda CIVIC is the best car for me. Any opinions?

If I go for YOM 2000+ CIVIC with VTEC, is it possible to buy an ES8? Any differences between EK3 and ES8 with regards to economy and maintenance?

Thanks for your help guys!

Edited by kaushama
  • Like 1

Yes Sri Lanka is a country where the vehicle prices are unbelievably high compared to per capita income!!!!! And it makes me wonder what am I doing here???

If I rephrase my question, what the best civic I could buy for 2.4 mil(version wise)?

Edited by kaushama

EK 3 production latest was 2000. After 2001 it is es 1, es 5 and es 8. All three models outer shape is same. You could buy a RS Ek3 heigher grade for 2 million. 2001-2003 models of es could be bought around 2.3 million-2.5 million.

But I beleive ek3 latest models are better than es models.

EK 3 production latest was 2000. After 2001 it is es 1, es 5 and es 8. All three models outer shape is same. You could buy a RS Ek3 heigher grade for 2 million. 2001-2003 models of es could be bought around 2.3 million-2.5 million.

ek3 will do better on fuel and chaper maintenence compared to es. you can buy a good ek 3 vi or a vi rs and save some money too if YOM is not a big concern. or else, ES with vtec YOM 2001/2002 for that budget.

Yes Sri Lanka is a country where the vehicle prices are unbelievably high compared to per capita income!!!!! And it makes me wonder what am I doing here???

If I rephrase my question, what the best civic I could buy for 2.4 mil(version wise)?

Logic....never heard of it..... :D

A good VTEC ek3 is well within 2.4 Mil even less, maybe around 2 - 2.1 is a good buy, however finding a VTEC one is a bit tough, u get a lot of EXI (non-vtec) .....

ES8 are a bit more than the EK3 but u can negotiate a deal for 2.4 i guess....

What are the internal diffrences between ES1, ES5 and ES8? EK3 is better than ES soley because of economy? Performance?? Space?

Thanks for the info so far gentlemen!

What are the internal diffrences between ES1, ES5 and ES8? EK3 is better than ES soley because of economy? Performance?? Space?

Thanks for the info so far gentlemen!

yur first question i would leave to someone who is familiar with ES range.

IMO ek is economical and spacious. perfomance i think would be similar to ES when both models are vtecs. and ek facelift version (99-00) got better look as well.

ES8 - '01 Civic EXi 4dr- 1.5l SOHC

ES8 - '01 Civic Vti 4dr- 1.5l SOHC VTEC

ES1 - '01 Civic Vti-S 4dr - 1.7l SOHC VTEC

ES3 - '01 Civic RS 4dr - 1.7l SOHC VTEC

ES5 - '03/04 Civic Vti 4dr - 1.6l SOHC VTEC

ES8 was the shortest civic series being sold in Spore. It was sold in late 2000 and stopped ard 2 yrs later to make way for the ES1/5 series. Many of the ES8 owners sold off their ride within 3 yrs. Why ? Due to the infamous start clutch problem associated with the CVT gearbox. Subsequent civic from ES series onward was using the normal torque convertor auto gearbox. I was driving an EK3 from 2000 to E/2004....managed to fix the problem just before warranty ended.

This is what I have found in another forum.

I am very fond of manual ones as it gives me more control over the drive. But unfortunately there is no second-hand market for Auto vehicles now?

I do not mind either!

manual ones are trouble free i would say. and specillay if yu wanna enjoy the ride. lot of people look for autos these days but that doesnt mean manuals cannot be sold or sold at a lower price. specially civics.

What is the difference between common VTEC EK3 and EK3 ViRS?

SpeedFreak has mentioned all the specs...but one thing...EK3 ViRS comes with a Higher Tuned ECU on the fuel map...as well as if its a Multimatic...it contains two "S" mode options with higher gear ratio outputs...

Kaushama, with ur budget u can buy either ES8, ES1 or EK3 Vi or EK3 ViRS...out of these i personally recon u to buy a EK3Vi or ViRS... i personally have used ES1 for happy 3 years time...and it really didnt give any troubles...very good on fuel and as well as built quality and fun to drive. But i was the first owner and i was very carefull with the CVT Gear Box. as a result it never gave me a trouble cz i took care of the gear box and services on pormpt timings.....Then i upgraded my ride to a ES5 on two years ago. its a good ride same as ES1 but with a power full engine and a non CVT gear box.On fuel consumption... Not good as much as the ES1 but easily does more than 10Km/L in urban.

Having said above...i have driven EK3 Vi (was belong to EVERGREEN :)) lol...) and also ViRS.... but never owned a EK series....but i must say both EK3 Vi and ViRS models are more comfortable than ES Series. EK3 Vi / ViRS motors are D15B engines, are very reliable engines...but on the power train concerns...which means engine technologies and management....ES series engines came with advanced electronics and fuel management systems...such as ES engines came with individual coil packs and also with EPS and also VTEC management is solely on the ECU...

But out of these..if u can find a well maintained ViRS having YOM1999 or 2000 , Manual Tranny with LSD...u will never wanna go to a ES or any other car...trust me....jus take ur time to find a good ride...u might come across on the autolanka if ur lucky..... good luck !

Edited by KI4120

SpeedFreak has mentioned all the specs...but one thing...EK3 ViRS comes with a Higher Tuned ECU on the fuel map...as well as if its a Multimatic...it contains two "S" mode options with higher gear ratio outputs...

Kaushama, with ur budget u can buy either ES8, ES1 or EK3 Vi or EK3 ViRS...out of these i personally recon u to buy a EK3Vi or ViRS... i personally have used ES1 for happy 3 years time...and it really didnt give any troubles...very good on fuel and as well as built quality and fun to drive. But i was the first owner and i was very carefull with the CVT Gear Box. as a result it never gave me a trouble cz i took care of the gear box and services on pormpt timings.....Then i upgraded my ride to a ES5 on two years ago. its a good ride same as ES1 but with a power full engine and a non CVT gear box.On fuel consumption... Not good as much as the ES1 but easily does more than 10Km/L in urban.

Having said above...i have driven EK3 Vi (was belong to EVERGREEN :)) lol...) and also ViRS.... but never owned a EK series....but i must say both EK3 Vi and ViRS models are more comfortable than ES Series. EK3 Vi / ViRS motors are D15B engines, are very reliable engines...but on the power train concerns...which means engine technologies and management....ES series engines came with advanced electronics and fuel management systems...such as ES engines came with individual coil packs and also with EPS and also VTEC management is solely on the ECU...

But out of these..if u can find a well maintained ViRS having YOM1999 or 2000 , Manual Tranny with LSD...u will never wanna go to a ES or any other car...trust me....jus take ur time to find a good ride...u might come across on the autolanka if ur lucky..... good luck !

:grinning-smiley-003: :grinning-smiley-003:

Yeah mchn and also the ViRS handles better than the ES 5 and ES1

ViRS comes with LSD?? :unsure:

ViRS comes with LSD?? :unsure:

Yeah... ViRS comes with LSD ... ES3 (RS of the ES series) and ViRS with D17B comes with the LSD.....also some ViRS including Vi also comes as stock. I've test driven a Vi in SL was belong to a lady - manager @ HSBC wattala...she never knew wot her car had till i got da car in to my hand...it was a 1999 EK3,Vi with LSD and manual tranny. Luckily there are few Vi and ViRS in SL which came with LSD .....