• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Does Law About Speed Limits Valid Now?

Thanushka

Hi Guys,

Does the speed limits law have been revalidated? I know some time back courts make an order to make that law invalid due to different speed limits put by police as they wanted. Does the law have been revalidated?

Got copped the other night for 'driving dangerously'- as per the opinion of the charging officer, who used a speed gun to determine that my speed was too high to be considered safe. The charge does not have a spot fine and you got to go to Courts.. In fairness I think I would have been above the speed limit in most Countries :)

Got copped the other night for 'driving dangerously'- as per the opinion of the charging officer, who used a speed gun to determine that my speed was too high to be considered safe. The charge does not have a spot fine and you got to go to Courts.. In fairness I think I would have been above the speed limit in most Countries :)

you rebel...

Say we go to courts and we don't want any counter arguements... just want to pay the fine and come. Do we sill wanna pay for lawyer. All he say is his client accept he is guilty so judge define the fines. Can't we just say the same .. " I am guilty your honor" <_<

Thought of having some fun in Gall Rd from Colombo to Mathara on April 14, hoping there want be many vehicles in the road. Good to know that the law is still functional. :angry-smiley-048:

Nope I think you need the lawyer to take you through the proceedure. The Judge's want the Lawyer in case the defendent makes a scene- like some of Wheeler fellows do in order to avoid the fine.

Say we go to courts and we don't want any counter arguements... just want to pay the fine and come. Do we sill wanna pay for lawyer. All he say is his client accept he is guilty so judge define the fines. Can't we just say the same .. " I am guilty your honor" <_<

Nope I think you need the lawyer to take you through the proceedure. The Judge's want the Lawyer in case the defendent makes a scene- like some of Wheeler fellows do in order to avoid the fine.

yep...always better to have a lawyer cos we're normally not familiar with the proceedings there.

once i was in courts after our house getting broken into... and i happen to be reading the dailymirror cos i was bored out of my skull waiting for our case to be called.

and that dude who announces things in the courts got pissed off and said in open court for me to get rid of the paper or be thrown out :)

apparently doing something like that is an insult to the court! go figure!

mind you i was right at the back quietly minding my own business...

so these places are quite weird and if you don't know how to handle the procedures there...best to have a lawyer :)

good question whether we still want to pay a lawyer. I went through this procedure twice and both instances i appeared without a lawyer and said practically to save valuable time of honorary courts i accept that i'm guilt. Both instances i got 2500 fined. So there's no rule saying you should go with a lawyer.

good question whether we still want to pay a lawyer. I went through this procedure twice and both instances i appeared without a lawyer and said practically to save valuable time of honorary courts i accept that i'm guilt. Both instances i got 2500 fined. So there's no rule saying you should go with a lawyer.

yes. no rule as such for minor cases like "pay fine and go". Don't forget to take your companion with you, coz you will have to stand in the dock untill your friend pay the fine and come.

yes. no rule as such for minor cases like "pay fine and go". Don't forget to take your companion with you, coz you will have to stand in the dock untill your friend pay the fine and come.

Nowadays you dont need to take a companion with you to pay the fine, you could do it yourself, even for Drinking and driving.

Thought of having some fun in Gall Rd from Colombo to Mathara on April 14, hoping there want be many vehicles in the road. Good to know that the law is still functional. :angry-smiley-048:

went matara in my friend's car last friday night and he got stopped at somewhere near aluthgama. time was around 11:30pm, only few vehicles on the road and my friend didnt even see the cop pointing the damn thing and it was me who saw it and asked him to stop. :punish:

when we walked back to him, he showed us the gun reading 75 and started preaching about some bs law says this at that sentence :deal:. anyhow after checking the license he kinda misidentified my friend as somebody he knew and he went cool. :drinks:

then we asked about the speed law and what he said was even though they cant catch u for speeding, they can for reckless driving if u r doing over the max limit in sri lanka. we didnt argue back on how he can be sure whether his gun is correct and whether it actually read our car's speed. (cos we were doing nearly 90 :angry-smiley-048: )

so at the end we got back without getting ripped. didnt see any other cops on the road after that. imo we could have easily skipped the incident at that time and at that speed, pretending we didnt see him waving. btw i got an idea to rewire the rear number plate lights on my car so that i can turn it off separately in such an incident and escape. (hoping the bugger wont :violent-smiley-030: )

safe cruising on 14th! :grinning-smiley-003:

thanks for the replies. I hope not to go to courts my all means. But may be for very minor things we can't try out without lawyer..

BTW there is some thing I would like to share guys. This happened to one of my fathers friend who went to America for vacation in 1980s. My father told me this few months back when i got copped for cutting single line at 1.30 mid night.

He was an Engineer. The guy has drove the car and when he put it to main road another white dude who came from main road has hit him. There has been small argument and white dude has instulted our guy about skin colour, etc. So the issue has gone to courts. Before the case our guy has gone through all the traffic rules. During the case guy has asked whether he can use some drawings to prove he is not guilty (without lawyer). Judge has agreed. Our guy has done some calculations and proved he has not done any thing wrong but white dude has done careless driving etc. And he wow the case.

went matara in my friend's car last friday night and he got stopped at somewhere near aluthgama. time was around 11:30pm, only few vehicles on the road and my friend didnt even see the cop pointing the damn thing and it was me who saw it and asked him to stop. :punish:

when we walked back to him, he showed us the gun reading 75 and started preaching about some bs law says this at that sentence :deal:. anyhow after checking the license he kinda misidentified my friend as somebody he knew and he went cool. :drinks:

then we asked about the speed law and what he said was even though they cant catch u for speeding, they can for reckless driving if u r doing over the max limit in sri lanka. we didnt argue back on how he can be sure whether his gun is correct and whether it actually read our car's speed. (cos we were doing nearly 90 :angry-smiley-048: )

so at the end we got back without getting ripped. didnt see any other cops on the road after that. imo we could have easily skipped the incident at that time and at that speed, pretending we didnt see him waving. btw i got an idea to rewire the rear number plate lights on my car so that i can turn it off separately in such an incident and escape. (hoping the bugger wont :violent-smiley-030: )

safe cruising on 14th! :grinning-smiley-003:

Thanks Mate :grinning-smiley-003: