• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

E30

Shenny

Judging by your thread topic, its for a the BMW E30- might help if you could indicate which engine??

Different engines have different belts- i know the 1.8, 2.0, 2.8 had chains, which only need adjustment. Not sure about the 1.6 engine though.

hi,

ya, it's actually for the 316i, just bought it and the previous owner doesn't know anything about it, and i was told that it's a belt, it's advisable to have it changed.

any place you recommend to have it checked out?

thanks

All E30 M20s are Timing belt.E30 M3s and 318is of M42/44 motor are chain driven.

And should replace every 50,000 Miles or 4 years which ever comes first. BMW says 60K, but there have been examples of belts breaking shy of @ around 60k in SL. If you are unaware of when the last time it was replaced, better replace it soon. Timing belts are not something to mess around with.

Sad to mention that my own experiences with Milroy are more than horrible.

MINIACE

All E30 M20s are Timing belt.E30 M3s and 318is of M42/44 motor are chain driven.

And should replace every 50,000 Miles or 4 years which ever comes first. BMW says 60K, but there have been examples of belts breaking shy of @ around 60k in SL. If you are unaware of when the last time it was replaced, better replace it soon. Timing belts are not something to mess around with.

Sad to mention that my own experiences with Milroy are more than horrible.

MINIACE

I agree with Miniace.

If you have a BMW and its broken, set it on fire rather than taking it our self proclaimed expert.

A very good, intelligent and a well read mechanic can do almost everything BMW related. Its a no brainer actually.

And I know some of you will not agree, but Prestige is actually not that expensive for minor repairs. The Timing Belt replacement should be done there. IMHO.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, i think ill take your advice and try prestige for checking of the belt. previous owner claims that parts were bought from milroy and fitted in a garage in wattala, not too sure about that though. the car seems to be in great condition, however maybe i should get prestige to take a look at it, i saw in a previous post of a mechanic in seeduwa, would he be any good?

• 3 years later...

I had 16-8484 years back... Sold it around 2008-2009... It was a good car and never let me down.. a friend of mine had it after and he also maintained it well until he went overseas for work... car was sitting around for sometime. Once he got back, he decided to sell it a few months ago, since he didn't want it to get neglected.

Not sure what happened after... Heard that it was located in Matale now... Spec wise it was loaded. Had no sun roof, but all in all a wonderful car... Been all over the country in it except the North...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Guys saw this two E30s on AL and I noticed by going through some of the old ads the 15 Sri, first one came with Carb version and had all 4 disk breaks on it. Its one year old its having power mirrors and power shutters as I see it.

And the 2nd one doesn't seems have power shutters & mirrors and I dont know what breaks and engine it got. Both cars don't have the original steering, but put a M Tech according to the ads.

i'm not worrying too my about mirrors and shutters. However do you guys know about these cars, and are they originally came with all 4 disk breaks? I've been searching E36s but now had to settle with E30. Below two cars seems to be in good shape in appearance.

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=131959

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=127980

Guys saw this two E30s on AL and I noticed by going through some of the old ads the 15 Sri, first one came with Carb version and had all 4 disk breaks on it. Its one year old its having power mirrors and power shutters as I see it.

And the 2nd one doesn't seems have power shutters & mirrors and I dont know what breaks and engine it got. Both cars don't have the original steering, but put a M Tech according to the ads.

i'm not worrying too my about mirrors and shutters. However do you guys know about these cars, and are they originally came with all 4 disk breaks? I've been searching E36s but now had to settle with E30. Below two cars seems to be in good shape in appearance.

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=131959

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=127980

Look man, with E30s it's not about the options or the color, what you SHOULD be focusing on is the overall condition of the car and the health of the mechanicals... For that you will have to go yourself and look at the cars, online questions are going to get you nowhere.

Rear Discs were optional on smaller engined E30s if I remember right, they may have been standardised for the very last models...

Look man, with E30s it's not about the options or the color, what you SHOULD be focusing on is the overall condition of the car and the health of the mechanicals... For that you will have to go yourself and look at the cars, online questions are going to get you nowhere.

Rear Discs were optional on smaller engined E30s if I remember right, they may have been standardised for the very last models...

Well I know that BMWs are not about options and I have clearly stated the same in my post. However both these cars were modified with Mtech steering wheels (rised up??). So I just wanted to know someone meddled with the cars and since there are only handful of cars in sale thought one might know these cars personaly.

Well I know that BMWs are not about options and I have clearly stated the same in my post. However both these cars were modified with Mtech steering wheels (rised up??). So I just wanted to know someone meddled with the cars and since there are only handful of cars in sale thought one might know these cars personaly.

You know? Yaay, good for you! You managed to miss the point of the post though, It doesn't matter what they have fitted or not (or whether things have been fitted after or not), as long as the cars have been properly maintained and are in good shape you are good to go....

• 1 month later...

Guys I finally got a E30. It was in very good condition. I did the oil change today and reset the service indicator. However break pads are worn out and indicator comes up. Do I need to replace both sensor and break pads or the pads only? AFAIK sensor also start wearing out after a certain limit.

And I think this indicator is for front disk break only, because the rear are drum breaks.