• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Getting To Know About Bmw

MkX

Isuru, why dont you sell your 10km/l A32 and get a BMW? Once you have owned and driven one on a daily basis, perhaps you will be in a better position to diss the brand?

you have been distorting facts about me too much. first i don't have an ek3. second i never said my a32 does 10 kmpl. look, i don't deny bmw is a great car, in fact i tried to get the e36 i was talking about for my best buddy. i only said that e36 is slower than VTi civic and yes i did say 6 pot beemers would sell more expensively too. i did not see any evidence to the contrary on what i said.

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It still doesn't change the fact that your WERE comparing the price of a E36 with that of a E46.... you couldn't even identify the difference of the two models and still go on to defend your statement. :action-smiley-060:

Give up man...!

it is ridiculous to somehow suggest that i don't know the difference between e36 and e46. what evidence can you put forward?

Sure there is

That bit right there. So convoluted I have no idea what the heck you mean. I did check out both your screen shot and Supra's, which I assume was the before and after.

This bit just just seems to say you didn't really research properly before coming to an opinion AND airing it. :) Didn't it ring a warning bell when it said E320? rather than 320i or summin? Adverts are notorious for errors, AL doesn't do a check and correct thing off their own, just in case what looks like an error was intended by the customer. Customer is always right and that sorta thing, ya know?

oh c'mon the sentence "interesting you don't find that i used the advertisement before it was modfied, in the original state." ain't totally wrong. i know the most correct way of communicating that is to say " it is interesting, you don't find that i used the advertisement before it was modfied, in the original state."

and yes i concede that i did not investigate enuf about the advert enuf before quoting that.

datz a lovely car. bmw are best in diesel technology. furthermore diesel beemers sell more expensive. therefore IMHO the E46 318i advertised in AL for 5 mil is unrealistically expensive.

Not taking anyone’s side here just want to clarify something, i thought brandnew petrol BMW's (E46's) cost almost as much as their diesel counterparts reason been they are not as commonly available as the diesels.

How much does a pre facelift petrol go for these days?

datz a lovely car. bmw are best in diesel technology. furthermore diesel beemers sell more expensive. therefore IMHO the E46 318i advertised in AL for 5 mil is unrealistically expensive.

Petrol e46s sell for almost the same or more...

Not taking anyone’s side here just want to clarify something, i thought brandnew petrol BMW's (E46's) cost almost as much as their diesel counterparts reason been they are not as commonly available as the diesels.

How much does a pre facelift petrol go for these days?

I think the petrol and diesel pre facelifts go for similar prices. But many diesel e46's are not in good conditions (due to most of them were imported through permits and are quite hacked), very high mileages and many have pre english number plates. Based on the research I did pre facelift diesels go between 3.0 - 4.0 based mainly on condition and maintanance records. I hardly found a petrol and saw a few for 3.7 with high mileages though. The situation with facelifts are totally different. Facelifts in general are much rarer than the pre facelifts. That alone commands a higher price. And there are quite a bit of petrols (a rare car none the less). I found 2 - 3 cars for sale during 3 months of searching ranging from 4.0 - 5.0 million (all 318i). But as previously discussed these didnt have many options (as MadMMX mentioned, adding options are not a big deal for a person if cash is not a problem). I only found 2 diesels one was asking for a very high 7.0 million and the other 6.2 million. My car (black with beige interiopr) was 6.0, but managed to negotiate down. I actually got a good car with added options such as 6 speed gear box, xenon lights, electric seats and only 38,000Km with agents records. Most importantly the leather was in perfect condition

The significant price difference between both variants of the facelifts and the pre facelift is justified as the engine technology and performances on both petrol and diesel facelifts are far superior. My car for example is a common rail which does about 14 Km/liter in the city, very smooth and quiet engine and close to 20bhp more than the older version. MadMMX probably would agree that the petrol version is also way ahead to its earlier cousine. Also what i was told by the agents and the expert is that the facelifts far lesser issues than the older version.

Not too sure about BMW being the best in diesel technology- last I head Audi's been leading the pack with multiple wins at Le Mans in the pioneering diesel R10's and the 15 this year.

also isn't Mercs too known for solid diesels? especially the older motors!

I think the petrol and diesel pre facelifts go for similar prices. But many diesel e46's are not in good conditions (due to most of them were imported through permits and are quite hacked), very high mileages and many have pre english number plates. Based on the research I did pre facelift diesels go between 3.0 - 4.0 based mainly on condition and maintanance records. I hardly found a petrol and saw a few for 3.7 with high mileages though. The situation with facelifts are totally different. Facelifts in general are much rarer than the pre facelifts. That alone commands a higher price. And there are quite a bit of petrols (a rare car none the less). I found 2 - 3 cars for sale during 3 months of searching ranging from 4.0 - 5.0 million (all 318i). But as previously discussed these didnt have many options (as MadMMX mentioned, adding options are not a big deal for a person if cash is not a problem). I only found 2 diesels one was asking for a very high 7.0 million and the other 6.2 million. My car (black with beige interiopr) was 6.0, but managed to negotiate down. I actually got a good car with added options such as 6 speed gear box, xenon lights, electric seats and only 38,000Km with agents records. Most importantly the leather was in perfect condition

The significant price difference between both variants of the facelifts and the pre facelift is justified as the engine technology and performances on both petrol and diesel facelifts are far superior. My car for example is a common rail which does about 14 Km/liter in the city, very smooth and quiet engine and close to 20bhp more than the older version. MadMMX probably would agree that the petrol version is also way ahead to its earlier cousine. Also what i was told by the agents and the expert is that the facelifts far lesser issues than the older version.

Mind if i ask what made you go for a deisel at a permium compared to a petrol?

But many diesel e46's are not in good conditions (due to most of them were imported through permits and are quite hacked), very high mileages and many have pre english number plates.

Buying a Axio dosen't sound too bad now...

Mind if i ask what made you go for a deisel at a permium compared to a petrol?

1. More torque (330nm)and 150 bhp (I felt a big difference in performance between the 318i and my 320d)

2. 14km/l in the city (i saw it on the trip comp before buying)

3. Fully loaded - Most 318i are not fully loaded as owners had to pay full prices unlike permit imported diesels (few facelift diesels)

4. I loved the black and beige two tone

5. less than 38k km's with perferct interior and exterior condition

6. Was adviced it is very much reliable than the older e46 diesel. Far smoother and way less noisy being common rail

7. And the 6 speed gear box (according to prestige, the only 3 series they know of )

Most of these european diesels have come a long way and are more efficient, cleaner and much smoother, almost as their petrol conditions! I think the governments rationale on taxing diesels higher due to environmental reasons need to be revisited some time soon in the future

Actually, AFAIK, that's not the reason the government taxes diesel vehicles. Diesel is subsidized by the government since its used in the public transport sector. And private car owners who use diesels will therefore also enjoy the subsidy. Hence the government makes them pay the tax up-front rather than later on through petrol.

:)

Actually, AFAIK, that's not the reason the government taxes diesel vehicles. Diesel is subsidized by the government since its used in the public transport sector. And private car owners who use diesels will therefore also enjoy the subsidy. Hence the government makes them pay the tax up-front rather than later on through petrol.

:)

Fair enough! so reduction the gap between in taxes for private diesel cars and petrol cars is not something can we can look forward to anytime soon

Fair enough! so reduction the gap between in taxes for private diesel cars and petrol cars is not something can we can look forward to anytime soon

I don't know if the higher taxes are really due to diesel subsidy, because there was a time when there was the annual diesel tax payable with renewal of revenue license that was supposed offset the diesel subsidy. now subsidy levels on diesels are much less (maybe non-existant) and that's why the annual tax was discontinued

btw if taxes are for emissions it's better to tax on actual emissions rather than engine capacity. e.g. in UK the annual tax is based on emissions (Co2 g/km) and since emission test is already compulsory part of renewing revenue license such a system could come in place here as well

btw if taxes are for emissions it's better to tax on actual emissions rather than engine capacity. e.g. in UK the annual tax is based on emissions (Co2 g/km) and since emission test is already compulsory part of renewing revenue license such a system could come in place here as well

I thought the emission level is decided on a 'model' rather than each individual vehicle. Maybe someone in the UK can confirm on this.

That said there are quite a few well maintained e46 that demand higher prices. Most facelifts (if ur lucky to find one for sale) are well maintained!! (just my findings)

I think I know that car. KB or KC plates and a prominent number? Probably brought down on a cricketers or a BOI permit? I know the six speed is nice to have but for SL 5 speed ratios would be better.

I thought the emission level is decided on a 'model' rather than each individual vehicle. Maybe someone in the UK can confirm on this.

I think you mean the Insurance bands (which are defined by model)

For Road tax, see http://www.whatprice.co.uk/car/car-tax.html and http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/apr/1...arbon-emissions

I think I know that car. KB or KC plates and a prominent number? Probably brought down on a cricketers or a BOI permit? I know the six speed is nice to have but for SL 5 speed ratios would be better.

To be honest, you hardly get to shift event to 5th gear in colombo except for on weekends. Are you referring to the 7 million car?