• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Import Tax Slashed By 50%

crdesilva

General suggestion (and not targeted at any specific person) - How about keeping the little political devils inside us quite and commend whatever positive action taken that benefits the masses….forget the montero's and prado's that people are dreaming about!...I would like to see 4 member families on 50cc bikes, being able to afford 4 wheels...

Not that something good comes our way often right ? Hope these taxes can be brought down further!

I don;t think the tax reduction will effect that particular demographic group mate.

General suggestion (and not targeted at any specific person) - How about keeping the little political devils inside us quite and commend whatever positive action taken that benefits the masses….forget the montero's and prado's that people are dreaming about!...I would like to see 4 member families on 50cc bikes, being able to afford 4 wheels...

Not that something good comes our way often right ? Hope these taxes can be brought down further!

That would be great if gonna happens :rolleyes:

Checke out weekend Auto Classifieds, The 2nd hand market still remains same...

the funny part is some ppl still comes out with higher prices than before :D ...

as i mentioned earlier it will take some time to 50% cut off hit the 2nd hand market...

if the cut off is for short term, (not beign negative guys just imagined) i think it wont be no reduction in 2nd hand market...

If this remains longer about more than 5 month, then the 2nd hand marked feel the effect :alc:

he he some times some of our ppl able to put their vehicles in to TRASH... as some developped countries practices... :violent-smiley-099:

Edited by outlander

Machang XXX, I don't disagree with what you're saying (I am not exactly the world's biggest fan of any politics in SL - I happened to be looking at some very old posts of mine, where I was condemning the government taxes on cars, and some of you guys were telling me to stop criticisizing), but there is a difference between recommendations being made and nothing done about it (normal scenario) and permission being officially given to announce it (prior to gazzetting, of course).

That's the key difference in this scenario. There are doubters for everything, and in many cases this is not uncalled for, but the kind of fault-finding, nitpicking and negative outlook shown without any justification is what upsets me sometime. It's a lot easier to make people pessimistic and cynical than to make them optimistic. I don't think anybody can claim in this instance that this is election propaganda (we don't have any elections coming up), or that MPs are going to benefit from this (they are not too happy right now). I also have nothing to gain from this personally, as I'm not in the market for a car, nor will I be for years to come.

But I feel that this kind of pessimistic attitude will soon result in so many people being so averse to any change (for the good) that there will be no real pressure for the politicians to make any changes that benefit us after all. It might be a fair assumption that pressure by car dealers was one reason at least, for this reduction. If we keep contributing to this "aney apoi monawa karannada bung" mentality (which all of us are prone to in some way or another), we'll actually play right into the politicos hands and not stop them from getting away with whatever the hell they want to. We'll also be so busy looking at the trees and missing the forest, that we're just going to repeat the same mistakes we made during our so called "golden era" just post-independance.

While people have the right to be skeptical, I also think likewise some of us have the same right to be optimistic. And maybe we'll be proven wrong, but you never know...maybe not!

I am not going to argue with the fact that my post sound negative, for that I am guilty. But the facts I have outlined is yet to be challenged.

Myself and few other individuals who are directly attached to the industry has been expressing views in support for a restructure of the import tax/duty scheme. If this new set of proposals are to continue in the long run no doubt there's lot of good that can come out of it. Criticism is directed towards the ad-hoc nature of the implantation and its sustainability (is it just me or didn't all the positive posts carry a hint of negativity). My point is we can't help but prepare for the worst when you take into account the old track record of policy making in Sri Lanka (having the same set of faces in the positions of policy making doesn't help to weigh things the other way either)

I don't think anybody can claim in this instance that this is election propaganda (we don't have any elections coming up), or that MPs are going to benefit from this (they are not too happy right now).

You are correct none of those labels apply this time around but there's a whole bunch of new theories brewing up. Since majority of the forum members find it hard to digest anything with a touch of politics (may be it's because of the "aney apoi monawa karannada bung" mentality) attached to it I'll refrain for listing them.

Since the hat fits my head like a glove let me comment on this.

Just because I am a member of the AL's permanent opposition (as some call it now) that doesn't mean i don't see the good side of things and appreciate it. This (new tax structure) is no doubt a very good move.

Current trend of branding critics traitor/position member and discarding their views is not the way forward either.

Since the hat fits my head like a glove let me comment on this.

Just because I am a member of the AL's permanent opposition (as some call it now) that doesn't mean i don't see the good side of things and appreciate it. This (new tax structure) is no doubt a very good move.

Current trend of branding critics traitor/position member and discarding their views is not the way forward either.

xXx, realistically what can we expect the unreg prices of vehicles to settle down to?

i reckon your an ideal person to ask with regard to both unreg & 2nd hand - would be great if you provide a few examples of the possible pricing implications citing common vehicles by classes : ex - Corolla 121 , 141 , HiAce , Noah , Hilux , smart Cab etc

many thanks

No changes in this weeks classified ads as well.

Looks like it might take a few weeks for the private sellers to get the price lowered.

But iam sure the new car dealers will reduce the prices much quicker.

yeah there was an importer of Smart cabs who had advertised saying "available at new prices!" - was rather tempted to just call to find out what the new going rates are like :unsure:

yeah there was an importer of Smart cabs who had advertised saying "available at new prices!" - was rather tempted to just call to find out what the new going rates are like :unsure:

Hi All,

Did any of you get a quotation from any of the car agents for a band new one?

Please share the information as soon as you get it. OK?

Thanks

Hi All,

Did any of you get a quotation from any of the car agents for a band new one?

Please share the information as soon as you get it. OK?

Thanks

well i got a quotation from A*W for suzuki swift(indian). the old price was 3.2mil and the new price will be around 2.4mil. they said that before the raise of tax they used to import 500vehicles per month but after the increase of tax they imported only 50 vehicles per month

Edited by JAFF

All the details of the tax reductions were on Sunday news papers. Lovely :D

The real funny part is that most of the second hand sellers are now quoting prices even higher than what it was before the tax reduction :D Hmmm.... desperate :D

They can quote any damn amount, but who wants to buy? So over time the prices will come down for sure. It is just a matter of a couple of months time until they realize that they cannot sell at the same old prices. All of us (I mean current vehicle owners) have to face the fact that our networth has gone down. But I think this is for the betterment of everyone.

All the details of the tax reductions were on Sunday news papers. Lovely :D

The real funny part is that most of the second hand sellers are now quoting prices even higher than what it was before the tax reduction :D Hmmm.... desperate :D

They can quote any damn amount, but who wants to buy? So over time the prices will come down for sure. It is just a matter of a couple of months time until they realize that they cannot sell at the same old prices. All of us (I mean current vehicle owners) have to face the fact that our networth has gone down. But I think this is for the betterment of everyone.

same sunday newspapers claimed there will hardly be an impact to the second hand car market. What's the brand new/unreg vehicle available for a person who's stretching to 2.0 mil max for a vehicle purchase? Means he has to rely on second hand market or go for Indian or Chinese. However, if the prices of a brandnew/unreg comes down to 3 mil mark, yes there will be a chain reaction which is too early to expect.

well i got a quotation from A*W for suzuki swift(indian). the old price was 3.2mil and the new price will be around 2.4mil. they said that before the raise of tax they used to import 500vehicles per month but after the increase of tax they imported only 50 vehicles per month

It means any unreg/used Swift in SL can not go beyond 2.4Mn. Thank you for the information Jaff.

Anybody has new quotations for Toyota, Nissan, Honda sedans?

same sunday newspapers claimed there will hardly be an impact to the second hand car market. What's the brand new/unreg vehicle available for a person who's stretching to 2.0 mil max for a vehicle purchase? Means he has to rely on second hand market or go for Indian or Chinese. However, if the prices of a brandnew/unreg comes down to 3 mil mark, yes there will be a chain reaction which is too early to expect.

Yeah not all who write their analysis on news papers have economic expertise. Nowadays anyone can write anything on news papers. :D With the little bit of knowledge I have plus my common sence tells me that the second hand market crash is imminent. Anyway let's wait and see. We can always relook at this thread in another 3-4 months :D

i too am on this opinion...

too early to predict things and who knows how long this lowered tax will last :P

i too am on this opinion...

too early to predict things and who knows how long this lowered tax will last :P

yeah, too early to predict things and after all this is the most strange 2nd hand car market in the world as per economists, where used vehicles get appreciated and vehicle is an investment. Heard that hundreds of vehicles were cleared during past few days as if they were waiting for this lifting.

Yeah not all who write their analysis on news papers have economic expertise. Nowadays anyone can write anything on news papers. :D With the little bit of knowledge I have plus my common sence tells me that the second hand market crash is imminent. Anyway let's wait and see. We can always relook at this thread in another 3-4 months :D

you think market will crash? care to elaborate your thinking?

Yes I am 100% certain the second hand market will crash in 3 months time (or sooner). Elaborating my thinking for what is obvious is not worth it. It is like elaborating why someone would die if he is deprived of water for 15 days :D

Anyway, let's wait and see. Be patient for 3 months man and lets reopen this thread and see who will have to put own's foot in the mouth :D

Must say I too agree with Harshan & Ripper...

Going by the possible effective reductions, there may not be any Brand new non indian / non Chinese car that'll come down to 2Mn mark.

Why not wait until all the main agents come out with their new prices, possibly within this week? B)

Definitely it will crash. Who is going to buy a car, which had been used for sometime for absurd prices? I was aiming for a secondhand one and now going to import one. One less person to buy wrecks sold by sale owners. So market will crash!

Yes I am 100% certain the second hand market will crash in 3 months time (or sooner). Elaborating my thinking for what is obvious is not worth it. It is like elaborating why someone would die if he is deprived of water for 15 days :D

Anyway, let's wait and see. Be patient for 3 months man and lets reopen this thread and see who will have to put own's foot in the mouth

:alc:

With you 100%!!

xXx, realistically what can we expect the unreg prices of vehicles to settle down to?

i reckon your an ideal person to ask with regard to both unreg & 2nd hand - would be great if you provide a few examples of the possible pricing implications citing common vehicles by classes : ex - Corolla 121 , 141 , HiAce , Noah , Hilux , smart Cab etc

many thanks

Shaa..Mr. Z :) all toyotas? :P

Definitely it will crash. Who is going to buy a car, which had been used for sometime for absurd prices? I was aiming for a secondhand one and now going to import one. One less person to buy wrecks sold by sale owners. So market will crash!

got this nifty little tax calculator thing from a friend

did a run for a CIF value of 2 million... that would be the cost of a car imported from japan or so including shipping and insurance.

this a the results i got...

not 100% sure of the accuracy but it sorta looks right.

21725939.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

got this nifty little tax calculator thing from a friend

did a run for a CIF value of 2 million... that would be the cost of a car imported from japan or so including shipping and insurance.

this a the results i got...

not 100% sure of the accuracy but it sorta looks right.

21725939.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

hey bro, could you e-mail that to me. i jot down the tax rates on a excel sheet and tried working out the cost, but it differs from the values i get. planing on gettin down a few vehicles, so need to do the costing. hehe... il pm you my mail address.