• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice On A 4x4

Sean Fernando

Hello All,

This is my frist post and I hope you guys can help me out. I moved to Sri Lanka recently and are not very aware of the Sri Lanka car market.

I'm looking to buy a 4x4 just for off roading action. My budget is around is between 2.5 to 3.0 millon Rs. Having spoken to few people, the advise I get is to go for a Landrover 110 or a Landcruiser or Nissan Patrol. I have never driven or been inside Landrover or a Nissan Patrol. I have driven a 80 Series Landcruiser offroading and loved it.

1. Would I be able to buy any of these vehicles for my budget? (Used ones ofcourse)

2. What vehicle would be the best option?

Any help / advice you guys can give is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Sean.

The 3 4x4 vehicles you mentioned (unless short wheel) would cost more than 3 million. Be very very careful on the so called body permit vehicles. Some are legal but most are illegal.

Found a vehicle a few days back with a 'Chasiss- permit' + body permit, which the seller likes to call them :-)

Hello All,

This is my frist post and I hope you guys can help me out. I moved to Sri Lanka recently and are not very aware of the Sri Lanka car market.

I'm looking to buy a 4x4 just for off roading action. My budget is around is between 2.5 to 3.0 millon Rs. Having spoken to few people, the advise I get is to go for a Landrover 110 or a Landcruiser or Nissan Patrol. I have never driven or been inside Landrover or a Nissan Patrol. I have driven a 80 Series Landcruiser offroading and loved it.

1. Would I be able to buy any of these vehicles for my budget? (Used ones ofcourse)

Thanks in advance,

Sean.

slightly off your list but how about a toyota smart cab. you can get a brand new one for that budget :) toyota reliability, part availability, resale etc too are all there...

i've been checking a few australian offroading sites and saw quite a few folks using them...some of them with little mods and a few with serious mods for more serious offroading.... Only downside is that these are single cabs...

If you check with the local offroad mods folks like outdoorsman etc...you'll find quite a few Hiluxes, nissan d21, d22 and older cruisers fullly done up

personally i would go for a Hilux cos those have all the little add on toys for virtually every mod you'd want to do :)

but that's just me and i'm very biased towards the hilux :)

Wow really????? That much for a used Pardo?

Thans not a prado.. It's a LandCuiserII..

And if its 'just for off-roading' as you mentioned a short-wheel-base should be good enough (if not even better, since its less likely to get banked on a cliff)..

And Except for the patrol there are pleanty of SWB specimens out there... :)

Thans not a prado.. It's a LandCuiserII..

And if its 'just for off-roading' as you mentioned a short-wheel-base should be good enough (if not even better, since its less likely to get banked on a cliff)..

And Except for the patrol there are pleanty of SWB specimens out there... :)

Really? I thought 70,90,120 & 150 Series was Prado. I would ideally like to go for a 5 door long wheelbase.

Realistically do you know how much would I have to pay for a 5 door 110 Landrover or 80 Series Landcruiser? I'm talking about basic models 64- or 65-, not the fully loaded ones.

Thanks for your help.

Hey mate you can go for a smart cab.....

But if you wana get to knw abt vehicals & learn abt & feel the experince of driving a monster go for a Landcruiser Bj series..Trust me man u will be lovin it.... :jumping-smiley-013::violent-smiley-099: :violent-smiley-099:

Hello All,

Thanks in advance,

Sean.

Nissan Patrol 4 door 1991-1995 model is certainly within your budget (specially the high roof one)

Land Cruiser 80 series is certainly not within your budget. However, the 60 series will surely be within your budget. Some examples:

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=30251

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=23633

I am not so sure about the Land Rover 110

For our friends who are proposing Smart Cabs... I am sure our friend here is looking for a Jeep and not a Cab and for sure the off road performance of a jeep is better than a cab.

Nissan Patrol 4 door 1991-1995 model is certainly within your budget (specially the high roof one)

Land Cruiser 80 series is certainly not within your budget. However, the 60 series will surely be within your budget. Some examples:

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=30251

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=23633

I am not so sure about the Land Rover 110

For our friends who are proposing Smart Cabs... I am sure our friend here is looking for a Jeep and not a Cab and for sure the off road performance of a jeep is better than a cab.

What is the joker who is asking for 2.5 million for a 30 year old vehicle smoking?

Thanks for the replies guys.

A single cab is really not what I'm looking for. I also wouldn't want 4x4 that has independent suspension. I would like to have live axles with coil springs. This would rule out all double cabs I would think.

Any idea about the price range of a Nissan Y60 Long wheel base?

Thanks for the replies guys.

A single cab is really not what I'm looking for. I also wouldn't want 4x4 that has independent suspension. I would like to have live axles with coil springs. This would rule out all double cabs I would think.

Any idea about the price range of a Nissan Y60 Long wheel base?

Pradfred bought a Y60 a few months back i think...maybe he can give an update.

But i'm sure it was north of 3mill

What is the joker who is asking for 2.5 million for a 30 year old vehicle smoking?

Look mate I know that particular vehicle very well and the owner, I'm not promoting it or anything but.. kindly look in to the specifications n stuff before you make comments

on a public forum like this, and besides i'm sure the forum moderator would not approve your 'review' on each and every car advertised here..

Though it is a 30 year old vehicle it is quite considerably done up for off roading...

I don't know if its a ture reflection of the current market prices but I too feel 2.5 Mil for a 30 year old vehile is far too much. This is just my personal opinion.

Ripper any news about the price of a Y60?

Thanks.

i know the price mate but since it's Pradfred's vehicle it's not for me to reveal the pricey here :)

i don't want pradfred to run me down on his y60 :D

Look mate I know that particular vehicle very well and the owner, I'm not promoting it or anything but.. kindly look in to the specifications n stuff before you make comments

on a public forum like this, and besides i'm sure the forum moderator would not approve your 'review' on each and every car advertised here..

Though it is a 30 year old vehicle it is quite considerably done up for off roading...

to add to that...i'm sure that guy will get his price...if not the same but something very close to that...

True enough. Heck even 60s BJ40s and Mitsubishi Jeeps can go north of a mill if well kept. The Toyota factor inflates its value. And people keep bargaining room when advertising.

Well i do not really know how much those modifications are worth, but they were extremely handy in some yala runs back in the day..

Anyways i think the price is worth it.. One thing i should mention is that thing can smoke a Tdi Defender... I wz da victim :glare:

Hello All,

Thanks in advance,

Sean.

And I see that you haven't gone far with the Land Rover idea,

A 90 Would serve your purpose very well, especially a tdi, more or less a Defender.

Works for me

If you can get one done up PROPERLY, They'll be trouble free and will always put a smile in ya face..