• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Maruti Car Prices Increase

carbuddy

QUOTE (Killer-B @ Aug 12 2010, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No mate..... less likely to happen here..... almost everyone wants to drive a 1.8/2L car economically as possible just look at the cefiro topic for instance.

that discussion seems to be mostly about city driving, where it doesn't much help that you have such a powerful engine... but if you were driving at night or outstation you would be driving faster... with the K11 march, outstation, usually even when we wanted to go faster the engine couldn't deliver... plus with the small wheelbase, small tyres and the overall suspension quality of the car (vibrations) etc it got quite unconfortable at high speeds - not at all what you would expect with a 1.8+

when driving outstation (e.g. with a 1.3 FB15), it's much more likely that you are overtaken by a SUV, a Civic, a IST etc. than a Maruti, March, or Kelisa!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that discussion seems to be mostly about city driving, where it doesn't much help that you have such a powerful engine... but if you were driving at night or outstation you would be driving faster... with the K11 march, outstation, usually even when we wanted to go faster the engine couldn't deliver... plus with the small wheelbase, small tyres and the overall suspension quality of the car (vibrations) etc it got quite unconfortable at high speeds - not at all what you would expect with a 1.8+

when driving outstation (e.g. with a 1.3 FB15), it's much more likely that you are overtaken by a SUV, a Civic, a IST etc. than a Maruti, March, or Kelisa!

Well, I personally driven a maruti for one week and mind you I could reach 90 without much hesitation and in city driving. Stability and handling goes for a six at that speed that's a different story.

Although they can't seem to overtake a 1.8l or a SUV on outstation roads doesn't mean that they drive at 40kmph.

Even 80 kmph is a killer speed for that car I know from experience. :)

It is advisable not to exceed 75kmph even in outstations.Eventhough your vehicle has equiped with more safety features .

Every vehicle has it's purpose of build maximum limit we can push, which will be depending on engine capacity/body style/performance+economy orientation and so many other things.

The issue is Maruti/Alto will be competing with March and starlets in many aspects. Except for this brand new factor, Maruti does not deliver any thing else compare to it's counterparts. And the term Brand new does not deliver any meaningful value addition to the car (Maruti) as far as the examples I've seen with them. Or in simple terms 8,9 years old March or Starlet is still worth than the Brand new Maruti.

Tend to disagree on trying to be safer in a potentially unsafe vehicle and I believed that until I heard this news of a lady who driven really slow and rear ended a van ended up dying due to non-collapsible steering wheel damaged her ribs. Needless to mention the vehicle she was driving. So, is it worth to risk your life for saving some bucks is the question I have and may be the answer differ from person to person.

not trying to dispute your point, but it sounds like seat belt either was not used or didn't function?

anyway, I don't think people actually make a conscious decision to buy an unsafer car (e.g. even when people talk about not buying a maruti they mostly mention looks, prestige, poor standard interior, etc. but not that it's not safe... but that may be just a statement on the kind of people who talk to me about cars!).

IMHO people go for Maruti's because they have a phobia about used cars and can't afford anything better. and maybe nobody talks to them about the safety aspect.

It is advisable not to exceed 75kmph even in outstations.Eventhough your vehicle has equiped with more safety features .

well it's always the safest to drive slower in any case...doing 10kmh would be helluva lot more safer than doing say 50kmph.

but there are practicalities involved.

I've been to sigiriya a couple of times for races etc and and if you leave very early you can "safely" go beyond 80kmh in many sections...and at times over 100kmh also...

I don't think it's practical for people to travel at lower speeds just for safety sake...

you can drive fast and be safe by using good judgement...and also on the other side...you don't really have to drive fast to get killed and kill others in the process with bad judgement...

Well, I personally driven a maruti for one week and mind you I could reach 90 without much hesitation and in city driving. Stability and handling goes for a six at that speed that's a different story.

with the A/C off? :action-smiley-060:

I think I'm quite happy not to know that from experience. but this is a rewording of my point - if you want to drive @ 80 you shouldn't do it in a Maruti!

Edited by Sifaan

well it's always the safest to drive slower in any case...doing 10kmh would be helluva lot more safer than doing say 50kmph.

but there are practicalities involved.

I've been to sigiriya a couple of times for races etc and and if you leave very early you can "safely" go beyond 80kmh in many sections...and at times over 100kmh also...

I don't think it's practical for people to travel at lower speeds just for safety sake...

you can drive fast and be safe by using good judgement...and also on the other side...you don't really have to drive fast to get killed and kill others in the process with bad judgement...

this thread has gone majorly OT :D

I totally agree that it's all a matter of judgement... and the biggest problem is when people err in judgement by overestimating themselves or their car: their reaction times (linked also to fatigue, alcohol), tyre condition, braking distance, road conditions, safety features like airbags, ABS, etc.

the fastest i've ever gone is 150 on highway in malaysia in a Kia Carens 2.0. Handling / vehicle vibration was much better than the K11 gives at 70 (although the quality of the road also plays a part!). One of the key factors there was the confidence that I wouldn't suddenly find someone driving wrong side, which you can never take for granted here!

the fastest i've ever gone is 150 on highway in malaysia in a Kia Carens 2.0. Handling / vehicle vibration was much better than the K11 gives at 70 (although the quality of the road also plays a part!).

Do you have any off hand experience Handling / vehicle vibration at 70 with K11 Vs Maruti 800 ??

Under present economic situation spending 4 or 5 million of hard earned money for a used japanese metal cage is a waste. :P

Well, I would think it's money well spent. And FYI, most of these used Japanese metal cages far outlast any Maruti 800.

Although they can't seem to overtake a 1.8l or a SUV on outstation roads doesn't mean that they drive at 40kmph.

We owned a Maruti 800 for seven years (Which I drove everywhere in) and I think I've only reached 90 kmph once... no joke. Anything beyond 70 in that car just feels so dangerous.

Do you have any off hand experience Handling / vehicle vibration at 70 with K11 Vs Maruti 800 ??

never driven a maruti at all :)

been in two Marutis... one a maniac who had it souped up with neon lights, and was drinking while he was driving

another with a nice lady who has a careful driver who does max. 50 outstation without A/C and max. 40 in city with A/C

edit:

I wasn't in this particular car, but there is another lady I know who had a maruti, who was even afraid to drive on Galle road (not sure what she ever did with car given that she lived in Dehiwala)...

Edited by Sifaan

not trying to dispute your point, but it sounds like seat belt either was not used or didn't function?

anyway, I don't think people actually make a conscious decision to buy an unsafer car (e.g. even when people talk about not buying a maruti they mostly mention looks, prestige, poor standard interior, etc. but not that it's not safe... but that may be just a statement on the kind of people who talk to me about cars!).

IMHO people go for Maruti's because they have a phobia about used cars and can't afford anything better. and maybe nobody talks to them about the safety aspect.

seatbelt was of no use as steering wheel probe in as a result of structural damages. You're spot on about the safety. That's because we're driving around in a country where there is no

1. Testing vehicles (new models/arrivals) against safety + build quality and standards

2. Enforced seat belt laws or any safety measures

3. Any damn vehicle can run around without being passed a fitness test except heavy vehicles which are again passed on bribe if vehicle fails the test :D

So term safety is not in the mind of people when deciding on a car.

with the A/C off? :action-smiley-060:

otherwise :D

I think I'm quite happy not to know that from experience. but this is a rewording of my point - if you want to drive @ 80 you shouldn't do it in a Maruti!

well I said killer experience not by facing an accident myself, just by judging how the vehicle responded in that speed. lol

seatbelt was of no use as steering wheel probe in as a result of structural damages. You're spot on about the safety. That's because we're driving around in a country where there is no

1. Testing vehicles (new models/arrivals) against safety + build quality and standards

2. Enforced seat belt laws or any safety measures

3. Any damn vehicle can run around without being passed a fitness test except heavy vehicles which are again passed on bribe if vehicle fails the test :D

So term safety is not in the mind of people when deciding on a car.

Adding to the list

4. Any moron can drive a vehicle without been tested for road ettiquet, no respect for passengers or by standers, don't give damn about on coming traffic.

Disagree. I was doing about 60-70 in the Gen2 on the way back from down south when I was passed on the wrong side by a 800 going like a bat outta hell, wobbling all over the place, at least 4 ppl in it. I remember staring at it with my mouth open thinking there is no way that guy can brake or have any kinda controlled response if an emergency happens. And if he messes up, the chaps behind him have a hard time too!

Tho there was a brand new 5 series that flew by (on the right side) and I can say it was going faster than the 800, but I didn't really think he'll have any issues. Lot safer to go that fast in that car than do 60 in a Maruti!

Adding to the list

4. Any moron can drive a vehicle without been tested for road ettiquet, no respect for passengers or by standers, don't give damn about on coming traffic.

True and list can go on even considering road conditions and infrastructure related safety measures.

I was more specific on vehicle related safety measures. Had we have them in place I can't think of a rating these boxes would get. :D

Disagree. I was doing about 60-70 in the Gen2 on the way back from down south when I was passed on the wrong side by a 800 going like a bat outta hell, wobbling all over the place, at least 4 ppl in it. I remember staring at it with my mouth open thinking there is no way that guy can brake or have any kinda controlled response if an emergency happens. And if he messes up, the chaps behind him have a hard time too!

Tho there was a brand new 5 series that flew by (on the right side) and I can say it was going faster than the 800, but I didn't really think he'll have any issues. Lot safer to go that fast in that car than do 60 in a Maruti!

I was referring to probabilities; not that it cannot happen!

Well, this depends on the driver.... you can't really say it will be more likely that you will be overtaken by something other than a maruti :) There are morons who would drive a maruti at 80+kmph

Disagree. I was doing about 60-70 in the Gen2 on the way back from down south when I was passed on the wrong side by a 800 going like a bat outta hell, wobbling all over the place, at least 4 ppl in it.

There you go shifaan, marutis do fly by but you don't happen to notice it since they are on the wrong side :rolleyes: