• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Things To Do When Buying A New Car

HasithaPerera

Please advice about matters to be attended after receiving a imported used car.

Do I have to change ATF & Engine oil, Air filter etc., Are there any others things to check?

Friends do comment. This is my first car buying unregistered

I guess it depends on the car and the mileage. Some cars have more complex needs than others.

If you can find the service manual, check what needs to have happened during the mileage on the car. If you don't know that it's been done (unlikely unless you're getting a japanese service history!), or can't verify by inspection (by mechanic) that it has been done, it would be safer to do it. Even if you can't find the manual, a mechanic familar with the model should be able to advise.

More generally, check wheel balancing/alignment as you probably don't know when it was last done.

On a different angle of things to attend to, you might want to get certain things (mirrors and hubs especially) secured against theft :)

Please advice about matters to be attended after receiving a imported used car.

Do I have to change ATF & Engine oil, Air filter etc., Are there any others things to check?

Friends do comment. This is my first car buying unregistered

search around this forum to see answers given for similar questions. What sifan says is valid as it all depends on the mileage and the condition of the vehicle. If the mileage is genuine and is less than 20k then don't worry about an atf change at this moment as it might contain original fluid which can be used for little longer. Also check air pressure of tires as once we got down a townace and we ran around few days before realising they had 70psi rear and 45 on front. Way too much for our roads.

Are you buying it as recon or as it is? If it's as it is and had been on the ship deck for long, suggest a through body cleaning and a cut and polish job.

Its not reconditioned. Buying as it is. There were some stains in d seat & velvet is damaged in some places. Need a good cleaning but dont know whether it will vanish . I noticed in d seat belt label it said 2006 Dec. But in JAAI, manufactured 2007 & first registered 2007 April. So what is d car manufactured year. I couldn't check d plate with the engine no.

& im thinking a engine tune up also coz it said 70k. (still thinking about d car coz dont know 70k too much)

u r spending lakhs to buy it so y wouldnt u spend few thousand and make it safe ? :)

Good Saying though. :angry-smiley-048:

1. Change ATF, Engine Oil

2. Change Air Filter if n only if it's dirty

3. Go for Test drive with a experience, trusted guy and get to know the condition of car, any further maintenance, replacement needed.

Wish U nice & safe Journey with Ur New Car ...

Appreciate & Thank you all friends for your valuable opinions & time. Had to give up d idea since it was below my expectations. & unfortunately at the rate of prices going up now im looking for a second hand car. Unable to trust indivicuals who imports & also not getting myself as d first owner when if I buy from them. Its good to open a LC under my name & import but again impossible due to lack of experience.

Finally I would like to know is it worth to buy a unregistered one at the present prices. (Toyota B***a 1.3l for 3.75M <weeks before it was 3.25M>)

Really appreciate your expert comments

Best regards

Hasitha

Edited by HasithaPerera

Btw, What if you're dealing in cash and the buyer tries to pay you with forged currency notes, and you can't be checking each and every one for authenticity? Is there a way to get a bank involved as a third party?

ask for a check and wait till it clears

or

ask him to deposit the money directly to your bank account

or

meet at the bank and make the final sale there and deposit the money into your account while the other party is with you

A world of possibilities.