• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Confusing Figures

daram

can anyone explain bhp and torque

1) petrol engines offer high bhp and low torque

i.e 2.0 VVT-I petrol : 110kW (147bhp) at 6,000rpm; 192Nm (142lb ft) torque at 4,000rpm

2) diesel engines offer high torque ansd low bhp

i.e 2.0 diesel 85kW (114bhp) at 4,000rpm; 250Nm (184lb ft) torque at 1,800 – 3,000rpm.

which figure matters when buying a vehicle

:blink:

please post your opinions cos i am thinking of buying a SUV!!

can anyone explain bhp and torque

1) petrol engines offer high bhp and low torque

i.e 2.0 VVT-I petrol : 110kW (147bhp) at 6,000rpm; 192Nm (142lb ft) torque at 4,000rpm

2) diesel engines offer high torque ansd low bhp

i.e 2.0 diesel 85kW (114bhp) at 4,000rpm; 250Nm (184lb ft) torque at 1,800 – 3,000rpm.

which figure matters when buying a vehicle

please post your opinions cos i am thinking of buying a SUV!!

ig its a bigegr SUV/jeep like a montero/patrol/trooper diesel would be better as they dont normally do hi-end racing.. thus staying on the lower potion of the Rev-count. so diesel would be tyhe best. but smaller SUVs liek the Rav4 or G Vitara maybe a little heavier than a car and still tend to clock higher speeds... so petrol may be better (but that'd mean you'll burn more fuel cos you're running a larger/heavier vehicle on a petron engine which works on higher revs)....

but thats just my view.. would like to hear a response about this as well.... interesting topic./.. BHP Vs Nm

this can only be answered by you. what are you going to use yoru SUV for. will you need to tow stuff. or will it just be a city vehicle.

do you want low end power (torque) or bhp.

when i got a suv, i didn't care either way coz i knew i was never going to tow anything or use it to drag. i just wanted a big vehicle.

Hi Dilesh

First of all, Bhp is the imperial unit measurment of power. The more commonly accepted unit of meansurment of power today is Kw.

Torque - is the turning force of an engine. In other words the amount of force it can exert in over coming friction/resistance. This is measured in Nm.

Power - is the ability of the engine to keep the momentum going once torque has done its job. This is why, in an engine's performance curves, the torque falls away as power keeps increasing.

The mixture of power and torque you desire depends on the type of vehicle and the purpose for which you intend on using this vehicle.

If it is a serious 4x4/SUV you are looking for then one with very high torqe at low engine rpm would be the most ideal. Such a vehicle will not have high power but it certainly will be able to over come serious obstacles with ease. Diesel engines inherently have high torque at very low rpm. High torque engines also have a very short rev range.

On the other hand, high performance engines will have high power as compared to torque. Also the torque will peak at higher rpm than it is the case with a 4x4. Such engines will have a wider rev range and rev quite freely.

So if it is a more road bias vehicle you are looking for with more tar mac speed than off road ability, then look for one that is more high on power than torque. However, if it is a serious off-roader you are looking for, then look for one that will have high torque at low rpm levels.

Here are some examples:-

Toyota L/Cruiser Diesel 4.2 - 96Kw@3800rpm 285Nm@2200rpm (serious off-roader)

L/Rover Defender 2.5Td5 - 90Kw@4200rpm 300Nm@1950rpm (serious off-roader)

Daihatsu Terios 1.3 - 64Kw@6100rpm 120Nm@3200rpm (soft off-roader)

Honda Cr-V 2.0 - 110Kw@6500rpm 190Nm@4000rpm (soft off-roader)

Rav4 2.0 - 110Kw@6000rpm 192Nm@4000rpm (soft off-roader)

(the figures I have used above are for those vehicles that are ment for our South African market, so they may differ to what may be available in SL)

Cheers

Hi Dilesh

First of all, Bhp is the imperial unit measurment of power. The more commonly accepted unit of meansurment of power today is Kw.

Torque - is the turning force of an engine. In other words the amount of force it can exert in over coming friction/resistance. This is measured in Nm.

Power - is the ability of the engine to keep the momentum going once torque has done its job. This is why, in an engine's performance curves, the torque falls away as power keeps increasing.

The mixture of power and torque you desire depends on the type of vehicle and the purpose for which you intend on using this vehicle.

If it is a serious 4x4/SUV you are looking for then one with very high torqe at low engine rpm would be the most ideal. Such a vehicle will not have high power but it certainly will be able to over come serious obstacles with ease. Diesel engines inherently have high torque at very low rpm. High torque engines also have a very short rev range.

On the other hand, high performance engines will have high power as compared to torque. Also the torque will peak at higher rpm than it is the case with a 4x4. Such engines will have a wider rev range and rev quite freely.

So if it is a more road bias vehicle you are looking for with more tar mac speed than off road ability, then look for one that is more high on power than torque. However, if it is a serious off-roader you are looking for, then look for one that will have high torque at low rpm levels.

(the figures I have used above are for those vehicles that are ment for our South African market, so they may differ to what may be available in SL)

Cheers

thanks duncan.. I don't think it could be explained better...

when i got a suv, i didn't care either way coz i knew i was never going to tow anything or use it to drag. i just wanted a big vehicle.

fuzzo i love your answer. i don't get it when people say H2 is not an off roader. i don't think any one who buy a H2 wants to go offroading unless he got some serious cash. its such a show piece vehicle. guess its personal preference.

Hi Dilesh

Cheers

Hi Duncan,

How would you classify the Hilux 106 or the 107 ?

cheers,

The Don

Hi Duncan,

How would you classify the Hilux 106 or the 107 ?

cheers,

The Don

Hi Don

I would rate the Hilux as a more affordable version of the Cruiser. Very capable and ultra reliable. Tough as nails. Not the most comfortable of off-roaders available and certainly not the fastest, but certainly the best.

I have one of these (the South African version) which I have built for over landing (bush travels). Over the years I have done over 400,000km of hard off-road travel (even taken part in some off-road competetions) and to date this vehicle has not given me any problems.

I also have two other 4x4s of different makes and whilst they are certainly more modern with all the creature comformts which the Hilux does not have, they are not half as tough and capable as the Hilux.

I would suggest the diesel version of the Hilux, if it is for more serious off-road use you are interested in.

Cheers

106hilux1gy.jpg

This is not my Hilux, nor is the dame :) ......got it off the net.

Hi Don

I would rate the Hilux as a more affordable version of the Cruiser. Very capable and ultra reliable. Tough as nails. Not the most comfortable of off-roaders available and certainly not the fastest, but certainly the best.

I have one of these (the South African version) which I have built for over landing (bush travels). Over the years I have done over 400,000km of hard off-road travel (even taken part in some off-road competetions) and to date this vehicle has not given me any problems.

I also have two other 4x4s of different makes and whilst they are certainly more modern with all the creature comformts which the Hilux does not have, they are not half as tough and capable as the Hilux.

I would suggest the diesel version of the Hilux, if it is for more serious off-road use you are interested in.

Cheers

106hilux1gy.jpg

This is not my Hilux, nor is the dame :) ......got it off the net.

Thanks Dunca,

I knew you would say that, I have been in autolanka for a while and I am no stranger to your modified Hilux.

I am a great admirer :P,

May I ask what model it is LN106 or 107 ?

I'm a great 4x4 enthusiast myself and for some time planning on getting myself a base of some sort and modifying it to fit my needs, the cruiser is beyond my budget, and though the defender has always been a favorite of mine I fear the Lucas electronics and maintenance cost, so have kind of thinking about getting an old 106 and working on it from there. Any suggestions ? and is there anything I can do to make the ride a bit more comfortable on the road because pot holes are a back breaker in them :huh:

Also I know this is out of topic but I do not know if you remember but I had some noisy tappet problem with my car and we were talking whether it could be oil preassure etc. Turns out the chambers of the tappets on the head is worn and thus not providing a good fit and loosing oil preassure, because i tried replacing the tappets but the cure was temporary and the noise came back. Then by chance I stumbled upon an identical engine, and got it off for a price not too bad in my opinion and its being fitted on now, so hopefully the problem would be solved and I would have a spare engine too if this one develops problem, thanks for your help with that,

Regards,

The Don

Thanks Dunca,

I knew you would say that, I have been in autolanka for a while and I am no stranger to your modified Hilux.

I am a great admirer ;),

May I ask what model it is LN106 or 107 ?

I'm a great 4x4 enthusiast myself and for some time planning on getting myself a base of some sort and modifying it to fit my needs, the cruiser is beyond my budget, and though the defender has always been a favorite of mine I fear the Lucas electronics and maintenance cost, so have kind of thinking about getting an old 106 and working on it from there. Any suggestions ? and is there anything I can do to make the ride a bit more comfortable on the road because pot holes are a back breaker in them :o

Regards,

The Don

Hi Don

What I have is the LN106 - South African version.

The stiff ride can be solved to a certain extent by replacing the springs and shocks with OME springs and shocks. There are other after market products available, but OME are the ones I have fitted on and they have some what solved the problem.

It does not completely remove the problem though, and you will have to endure some stiffness.

I have come across people who have changed the spring set up completely and got the ride to be very soft, but this also compromises the idea behind the original design, making it less capable.

Another idea you could think of though is to install front seats from a vehicle such as a Pajero which has a shock. This helps a lot.

The 4x4ing/camping life style is catching on in SL and if you like the outdoors and enjoy visiting places such as Yala, Kumena, etc. then this is one of the best vehicles you could have.

The cruiser (80 series up wards) are wonderful vehicles, but IMO over priced and out of reach for most of us. The Hilux is equally capable.

:)

Enjoy!

Cheers

ok guys this gona sound really stupid but please bear with me. i don't have much of a knowledge on off roading (its not as if i have that greater knowledge in on roading either) whats the reason behind using stiff shocks for off roading???