• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Increasing ???

jami

Your wrong. I'm not angry with you. I just don't like you. Big difference.

IMO, you pontificate too much about what "we should" and "the government should" do sprinkled liberally with "perhaps" without any idea of what your talking about. See my signature for the analysis on that.

Should I comment on this? Hmmm Well peri I like you though, for being our moderator, who shows us the PATH as to how we "should" think properly and "perhaps" showing us the limits of our knowledge. In fact I like all the friendly members here, who has various views however annoying they can be, in comparison to mine. That is the mutual respect and dignity for others being members here. So honestly I am very sad that you dislike me for my crooked views in your eyes, a moderators view point.

So probably best for me to stop commenting and posting in the forum, if it irritates you to the extent that you dislike another member and a human being.

But I don't dislike you at all as you have great knowledge and better vision on these than me, "perhaps". Even you have other views, I do not have an issue to dislike you. You are another respectable person and a senior moderator here. that is my narrow viewpoint.

I rest my case now.

Everyone has something to say. Very few have the maturity to listen to.

Edited by kaushama

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should I comment on this? Hmmm Well peri I like you though, for being our moderator, who shows us the PATH as to how we "should" think properly and "perhaps" showing us the limits of our knowledge. In fact I like all the friendly members here, who has various views however annoying they can be, in comparison to mine. That is the mutual respect and dignity for others being members here. So honestly I am very sad that you dislike me for my crooked views in your eyes, a moderators view point.

So probably best for me to stop commenting and posting in the forum, if it irritates you to the extent that you dislike another member and a human being.

But I don't dislike you at all as you have great knowledge and better vision on these than me, "perhaps". Even you have other views, I do not have an issue to dislike you. You are another respectable person and a senior moderator here. that is my narrow viewpoint.

I rest my case now.

I'm not a hippie, I'm not all peace and love. Where the heck is there a rule that says I have to like anyone? Who the heck do you think you are to tell me who I should like?

Again, you are wrong. I didn't say I dislike you. I said I don't like you. One is a negative feeling. One is a mere lack of a positive feeling. There is a difference. Learn it. You keep this up, and I will go from "don't like" to "dislike". From a lack of positive to a negative.

You have your views, you aired them, I didn't stop it or moderate it. I merely aired my views. You asked me a question, I replied. Respect is given to those who earn it. Senseless prattle does not earn it. Rambling on in OT doesn't help. I said there is no tax system that "will not burden" end users, like you said the govt would provide, unless its the removal of all tax. The burden of any and all taxes are passed onto end consumers. The concept is so simple a child should understand it. But apparently, you don't.

Like I said, you talk a great deal about things you don't know. Even after I said I'm not angry, you assume I'm irritated. But then you also assume I have great knowledge. You keep making all these wrong assumptions and then think you should do things based on that. THAT is what should make you sad.

You can't figure out the difference between don't like and dislike. Between will not burden and will lessen the burden. Between not angry and irritated. And you want mutual respect? Earn it.

I rest my case now.

Everyone has something to say. Very few have the maturity to listen to.

You rested your case and then decided to add to it half and hour later? ROTFLMAO! And added something that makes ZERO sense? I'll give you a little hint. That aint gonna get you that respect your looking for. :rolleyes:

Again, you are wrong. I didn't say I dislike you. I said I don't like you. One is a negative feeling. One is a mere lack of a positive feeling. There is a difference. Learn it. You keep this up, and I will go from "don't like" to "dislike". From a lack of positive to a negative.

I don't like you peri. I love you and and and I can't fight this feeling anymore. I've forgotten what I've started fighting for. It's time to bring this ship into the shore and throw away the oars, forever.......... :P

Mr. Peri

As you said I just aired what I know and what I think. "Will not" is a relative term unless you wanted to confront me for some reason. If the tax system allows people to tolerate the tax burden without much strain relatively, (Concept of thresholds) it will not burden people compared to present status. When the strain is tolerable, people will not feel as it is now. That is what I meant. If you go through statements of many here you can find hundreds of sayings you can interpret literally the way you want, provided you want to start something. I did not start it. Then if someone follows the posts following it will be obvious to anyone, whether I was the one who started this or not. Then people will decide whether you don't like or dislike me. I felt you dislike me the way you started this out of blue. People who followed the forum, would know where I committed the original sin, and why I do not deserve the respect. I have saved it if anyone want to see it.

And I do not want your respect or your love or liking, if you do not like me for some reason. I do not want to beg you for it as well. It is up to you and the people see this to decide what is going on. I am not going to comment on any more to your thoughts. I may become a troll by definition. Whether some people here, gives the respect to people coming here, is again matter of fact people will notice, if they have followed the forum. Perhaps I aired my opinion strongly on that once. I like to participate in a friendly forum. Not in a mob!

So Mr Peri lets stop this and I never wanted this. If you wanted it you got what you wanted. Happy? lets be cool and continue the discussion on the topic and other things related to automobiles. If you "do not like or dislike" my posting here just PM me and I will stop coming here. It would not look good on you and forum if you suggest it here publicly.

As you said I just aired what I know and what I think. "Will not" is a relative term unless you wanted to confront me for some reason.

Will not is not a relative term. Here's some information on what relative terms are;

from wikipedia

A relative term is a term that makes two or more distinct references to objects (which may be the same object, for example in "The Morning Star is the Evening Star"). A relative term is typically expressed in ordinary language by means of a phrase with explicit or implicit blanks. Examples:

__ loves __

__ is the same object as __

__ is giver of __ to __.

The word is is a relative term when it expresses identity

Will not "feel" is a relative term to me friend. I did not go through the Dictionary when I wrote it as I never expected a fight over the literal meaning. If you are a Buddhist you will know it. Feelings are relative. Social and financial perceptions can be relative. Pain can be relative. There are different thresholds people feel pain. Some tolerate it better than others. When someone don't like me, the way I perceived it can be disliking whatever the word is. When taxes are tolerable to people who can buy high end cars, it can be quite intolerable to people who buy Marutis. That tax structure will not burden high end cars users. Taxes "will not" burden people, who need a second hand car if the state can bring it down to a level, that common people can buy a reasonable car without much strain. That was what I meant. Anyway it is past now. I do not want to fight here over literal meanings of words. Lets talk on second-hand car market!

Will not "feel" is a relative term to me friend. I did not go through the Dictionary when I wrote it as I never expected a fight over the literal meaning. If you are a Buddhist you will know it. Feelings are relative. Social and financial perceptions can be relative. Pain can be relative. There are different thresholds people feel pain. Some tolerate it better than others. When someone don't like me, the way I perceived it can be disliking whatever the word is. When taxes are tolerable to people who can buy high end cars, it can be quite intolerable to people who buy Marutis. That tax structure will not burden high end cars users. Taxes "will not" burden people, who need a second hand car if the state can bring it down to a level, that common people can buy a reasonable car without much strain. That was what I meant. Anyway it is past now. I do not want to fight here over literal meanings of words. Lets talk on second-hand car market!

I'm an athiest but I don't see how religion has anything to do with your previous post. Sure feelings yada yada yada are relative but I was pointing out that your statement "will not is a relative term" is incorrect. If you don't know the literal meaning of a word, what point is there in saying it anyway? I can make random statements to make me look smart too and then when I have been challenged I can blame my religion or lack thereof and revert the topic back to the second hand carmarket so that people will feel that it's not my fault this thread has been going off topic for the last dozen or so posts.

There isn't a set topic and it's only increasing tension now...

Anyway, what has happened to the luxury second hand cars with these new taxes? People who originally bought them or imported personally even with old taxes would have enough money to throw around, so would have a dire need of getting a brand new nice looking car nah? :) Then what's happening to the used cars they don't need? Going much lower now than before?

What gov should do is introduce a yearly tax system; something similar to in japan. Gov should collect tax from cars that are older than certain number of years. older the car, higher the tax.

Eg: Let's say gov decides to collect tax from cars older than 10 years. So cars that are 10 years old should pay a tax of 5% (of it's original b/n value) . Cars that are 11 years old should pay 6% etc...

This way, more people will move to newer cars. Ofcourse, this tax shouldn't be a "too much" of a burden to people either...

May i ask what are you hoping to achieve by taxing old cars? Show-off to the rest of the world that we are such a developed country we only use newer cars.

People use older cars for a reason. Older cars are cheap and that's all they can afford. You suggestion will add an extra burden on the buyer/users in this segment. Meaning people who use 2 and 3 wheelers will find it difficult to upgrade to 4 wheelers.

The way i see it when people suggest how the tax structure should be for motor cars they only think about their own needs. For example someone who's looking forward to get an Axio only think about how cars in that segment should be lowered. Encouraging brandnew imports as a means of affordable motoring doesn't make much sense either (other than the fact that they may last longer). It's not as if the bandnew dealers operate in the likes of none profit organizations.

Motor vehicle imports is not the only area we are bleeding forex. Tweaking the percentiles involved in vehicle imports can't be considered a tax reform. As I've expressed before there should be a more broader reform covering all the areas and industries.

Sri Lankan vehicle market is actually quite funny. With the rumours of removal of VAT, any person with some sense would think the car market would head down. What happens is exactly opposite! No matter how much you reduce tax - second-hand market prices increase!

The reason why the car prices has not settled down is because of these rumors. There seems to be a new one every week. Take a look at the impact of these rumors from an importers/sellers eye. Since it takes a month or so for a car to land in SL there a degree of forecasting involved. How can one make a clear judgment when there a great possibility that market variables (taxes in this case) would change during that time. So he's left with no option but to take precautions for possible future losses.

I don't see a point in reducing or increasing taxes on a bi-yearly basis. Only thing frequent changes does is further unsettle the market thus creating a loss - loss situation for all the parties involved.

In fact I like all the friendly members here, who has various views however annoying they can be, in comparison to mine. That is the mutual respect and dignity for others being members here.

:appl:

Edit : No pun or sarcasm involved. +1 from me on that one.

Edited by xXx

Will not "feel" is a relative term to me friend. I did not go through the Dictionary when I wrote it as I never expected a fight over the literal meaning.

If you wanna define special meanings to terms that apply only to you, you should talk only to yourself. Communication is only possible when there is an common definition of what a word means. This is a forum for communicating things. It won't work if everyone was speaking their own private language. That is why language developed. That is why protocol developed.

You get it wrong, it misleads people. I would rather people not get mislead. This forum is visited by thousands. I wouldn't want them leaving with an inaccurate idea about the goings on of this country because someone expressed an opinion in a way that holds special meaning for himself and something entirely different to the rest of the population. See what xXx said about why the prices not settling? Coz new rumours coming up? What do you think happens when people take what you say literally and think the govt will end the burden and by implication, remove all tax? What happens when they spread that word? Why wouldn't they? They would think AL is a good source of information. All because someone thought to express himself in a way that hold special meaning to himself on a extremely public platform?

And you didn't say will not feel. You said will not burden.

If you are a Buddhist you will know it. Feelings are relative.

And FYI, I am a Buddhist. And I'll tell you this much. Buddhism is a religion that grows by spreading the word. What do you think you happen if musawada weramani sikkapadan samadiyaami means one thing to you and one thing to me? Would have a little trouble there, wouldn't we, sport?

India has many of their own versions of popular brands. That is one way to introduce affordable but good cars for majority, who can afford only a cheaper car. Perhaps cost effective cheaper versions. I know we are in a country and in place, where some people think an AXIO or CIVIC is a soulless car and beat up them, while majority will not dream to go in a Maruti in their life time.

A recent topic "exchange of car" depicts one of the sad stories of owners who let down Indian makes and bought Japanese makes.I wonder why some still inquring of the prices of highly priced automatic fuel drinking Japanese stuff while experiencing long snal up everyday on our roads. :D

A recent topic "exchange of car" depicts one of the sad stories of owners who let down Indian makes and bought Japanese makes.I wonder why some still inquring of the prices of highly priced automatic fuel drinking Japanese stuff while experiencing long snal up everyday on our roads. :D

Now your an Indian fan as well as a Chinese fan?

You think this price increase isn't seen in the Indian cars? I know several chaps that sold altos for more than they bought them. You seem to have missed the point of the thread.

Also dude, don't talk utter bull. Let down Indian makes and bought Japanese? The man has a jap car made in 91. How many people do you know with a 20 year old Indian car? That runs.

Sri Lankan vehicle market is actually quite funny. With the rumours of removal of VAT, any person with some sense would think the car market would head down. What happens is exactly opposite! No matter how much you reduce tax - second-hand market prices increase!

What gov should do is introduce a yearly tax system; something similar to in japan. Gov should collect tax from cars that are older than certain number of years. older the car, higher the tax.

Eg: Let's say gov decides to collect tax from cars older than 10 years. So cars that are 10 years old should pay a tax of 5% (of it's original b/n value) . Cars that are 11 years old should pay 6% etc...

This way, more people will move to newer cars. Ofcourse, this tax shouldn't be a "too much" of a burden to people either...

Lets say it works, and we create a market where people are willing to let go of their old clunkers that get taxed highly and get new cars. Who's gonna buy the old car that you wanna get rid of? That no one wants to buy? What do we do with all the old cars? The developed countries answer ... is to send it here. We'll have to either send it somewhere, crush it, or recycle it.

And most of all, what will happen to the classics?

Lets say it works, and we create a market where people are willing to let go of their old clunkers that get taxed highly and get new cars. Who's gonna buy the old car that you wanna get rid of? That no one wants to buy? What do we do with all the old cars? The developed countries answer ... is to send it here. We'll have to either send it somewhere, crush it, or recycle it.

There you gave the solution too :) Though I wonder how many people would accept the concept of losing ~80% of the car value in 15 or so years, as it's quite low salaries here. Solution for that? unsure.gif

And most of all, what will happen to the classics?

Such cars of sentimental value can be given tax exemptions?

Edited by BLu3HaZe

There you gave the solution too :) Though I wonder how many people would accept the concept of losing ~80% of the car value in 15 or so years, as it's quite low salaries here. Solution for that? unsure.gif

Such cars of sentimental value can be given tax exemptions?

LOL..and how are you gonna add/remove tax on sentimental value?...haha...let me guess,did google or wikipedia provide you with this dumbass soloution?

Those are solutions, but personally, I don't think its practical. I mean, whichever solution requires lots of investment and is expensive to operate. Except maybe shipping it elsewhere. In which case we'll need to find a country like ourselves to buy all those cars we need to sell and ship out of here.

Those are solutions, but personally, I don't think its practical. I mean, whichever solution requires lots of investment and is expensive to operate. Except maybe shipping it elsewhere. In which case we'll need to find a country like ourselves to buy all those cars we need to sell and ship out of here.

Expensive, yes it will be to recycle or even crush it, while the latter would be wastage anyway. And I doubt whether countries exist which would accept 10-20 year old cars which have run more than 200k kms. So what's your suggestion Peri, for the second hand market in SL to become fair?

@MD - To your post that I cannot see, even you have relied heavily for information on google and wikipedia, so what you're doing is uda bala kela gaseemak. I know for a fact that you'd not have had the pleasure of owning or driving every single vehicle you claim to know of. And it would be of more use if you could use the time you're trying to insult people to a more useful cause such as adding any missing info to wikipedia or rectifying any errors and omissions, because many people are directed there even in this forum itself.

Expensive, yes it will be to recycle or even crush it, while the latter would be wastage anyway. And I doubt whether countries exist which would accept 10-20 year old cars which have run more than 200k kms. So what's your suggestion Peri, for the second hand market in SL to become fair?

Be fair? Whats the definition of fair? Fair by who?

The only thing that will worth is for buyers to start using their brains and stop paying absurd amounts. Coz as long as buyers keep paying and buying, sellers aren't gonna be moved to sell for lower.

Think about it, if someone came to you saying he'll buy something off you for Rs.100, would YOU say, "No thats not fair, its worth only 10, you can have it for that"?

Knowledge is power. The more buyers have knowledge, the better the chances of getting a fair market. But as long as badly informed buyers are mucking up the market, its a mucked up market. And no one, even the informed people, wants to mess with that coz they will benefit when selling even if they take a hit buying. Thats why "re-sale" is such an absurdly important component of talk in forums.

Be fair? Whats the definition of fair? Fair by who?

The only thing that will worth is for buyers to start using their brains and stop paying absurd amounts. Coz as long as buyers keep paying and buying, sellers aren't gonna be moved to sell for lower.

Think about it, if someone came to you saying he'll buy something off you for Rs.100, would YOU say, "No thats not fair, its worth only 10, you can have it for that"?

Fair by the informed buyers? It is atleast nice to see some high end vehicles going for low prices cuz most people run after the common cars such as Corolla, Sunny, Civic etc.

No, you're correct, ofcourse I wouldn't give it at a lower price if someone is willing to by at a higher price. That's the way we could sell a 110 for 2M even with 200k on the odo. But guess that makes all second hand prices go up... Then we'll all have to be just sitting ducks until the tax is low enough for a good brand new car to come at 2M, which is only slightly above Japan etc., but that wouldn't happen in the foreseeable future, right?

Btw, any idea what the tax was for the 2008 permit? Now that is a good price, cuz it cost ~1.6M for Lancer, ~1.7M for Sunny, ~2M for Yaris, ~2.5M for 141.

Knowledge is power. The more buyers have knowledge, the better the chances of getting a fair market. But as long as badly informed buyers are mucking up the market, its a mucked up market. And no one, even the informed people, wants to mess with that coz they will benefit when selling even if they take a hit buying. Thats why "re-sale" is such an absurdly important component of talk in forums.

And it's not very easy to spread that knowledge, considering a tiny fraction of people in SL being aware of the situation. As the moderator, you'd have seen what fraction of people know about those things more than us.

But assuming there IS some such person wanting mess with the market and make it more 'fair' in some way, what would be the best possible way as you feel? I don't think the internet or forums are enough as not many buyers actually visit these..