• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Way To Maintain A Bmw

rangerover

Being a relatively new owner to BMW compared to some of the other members, I was wondering, through experience what is the best way to maintain your bmw that ensures you receive a good service and it doesnt blow a hole in your pocket (atleast not a big one).

1. Agents

2. Milroy

3. Source parts online and give it to either of the above party (is it possible?)

I for one had an experiece recently when I wanted to replace my front right wheel abs sensor. Agents quoted 23k, Milroy 16k. I could have bought it off ebay for or got it down from singapore for 8k - 9k. All of these were the same brand ATE. Is it possible to get down parts and give either party to fix it? is it something they will do? because last time, they just identified the prob and fixed it without even asking me. I had to stop and ask for the price first.

This will also be very helpful in sharing knowledge amongst any potential bmw owners who are holding back due to the negative perception of maintainance cost at these places

I did my maintenance at both Prestige and personally after getting down certain parts through a 3rd party. It was not that expensive either way. But that depends on how far you are willing to spend on the car. I always avoided the Penny Wise-Pound Foolish path... :)

If it needs an expensive part and it cannot be compromised, that's the way it is.

For an ABS sensor, I believe you should not muck about as your life actually may depend on it.

The main reason that there are many badly maintained BMWs out there is this reason where people take short cuts to avoid large expenses. Ending up with very large repair bills eventually.

If you own a prestigious marque, treat it with the respect it deserves and demands.

I agree. I always make sure that the original manufacturers parts are put in the car. The ABS sensor for example is manufactured by ATE for BMW and the price difference i mentioned for that exact product is quite large between the three options. Service I always do at Prestige.

If you own a prestigious marque, treat it with the respect it deserves and demands.

I happens to own two 740ILs (E38s)one BLK n' one Navy Blue. I do treat my cars like they are my baby's, but that doesn't mean I go for the priciest OEM parts(minor or major).

I happens to own two 740ILs (E38s)one BLK n' one Navy Blue. I do treat my cars like they are my baby's, but that doesn't mean I go for the priciest OEM parts(minor or major).

How do you distinguish between good quality oem manufacturers and the inferior ones? do u get recommendations from the dealers on the preferred OEM used?

I Don't go to the Dealer at all, I just call them to get a price check(parts) or estimate(labor). Then I turn to FORUMS that specifically for Bimmers!(GOOGLE it) People in Bimmer forums knows what they are talking about.

As for your question "How do you distinguish between good quality oem manufacturers and the inferior ones?" Read/Research the internet and magazines about BMW parts and accessories. And don't go for the cheapest once. before you buy GOOGLE the Manufacturer, read what people say about them.

I usually turn to Ebay/CL/CarParts for parts or the local junk yards!

Actually agree totally. Only use genuine BMW parts on my baby which my dealer friend sends down to me from UK. The UK list price + his dealer discount actually isn't bad at all (waaaaay less than what the local buggers charge you and usually much cheaper than what the expert charges you for non genuine oem parts) . I'm a bit weary of the Singapore import option as sometimes they give you the option to get non genuine parts down and also asia being flooded with fakes. The UK option is pretty safe and on the whole not too bad. Some time ago before I had the diagnostics I busted the front left ABS sensor as well. Mind you Pre*... were pretty decent and diagnosed the fault for me and I declined to buy the part from them. Charged me a nominal amount for diagnostics and I got my friend to send it down to me Royal Mail signed for from UK. Usually takes about a week. Mind you its perfectly safe to drive without the ABS/ASC - pres* were also of this view - brakes work fine - only no ABS and TC. But really its good having the diagnostics - total peace of mind. And its damn accurate too. Actually I feel the biggest problem with the agents is the dopes hardly use the diagnostics and have the bass mentality. I used to sometimes push the buggers and get them to plug the car into the DIS. But on the whole they're quite sporting. Haven't really used the other experts diagnostics - when I had just got the car many years ago I wanted to add the on board trip computer and he told me that if he coded it on his DIS - he would have to charge me 12K because of some arrangement he had in buying the DIS system (which actually costs about Rs 7 lakhs to a mil) and suggested I take it to the agent. Actually was quite decent of the chap to say so. Now of course no issues as I code the bugger at home - and do so for a few friends of mine who also have E46's. The car's onboard diag's is actually extremely advanced and it generally tells you exactly whats wrong with it ! Unlike most jap cars that have 1 or 2 CPUs the average BMW and Merc will have 6 - 12 computers placed on board and they talk to each other using their own computer network called the IBUS (now replaced with the MOST bus on the newer cars) Its quite an interesting subject with lots of information posted on the forums.

Cheers,