• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Immobiliser

heavyD

Question

Hey guys,

I have an immobiliser installed in my car by the previous owner. The unit (or the remote) didn't work properly initially and subsequently stopped working altogether. Yesterday I went to get the central locking fixed and the guy at the shop offered to remove the immobiliser completely. I reckon this is a good idea cause I don't need a half baked unit stopping me from starting the car whenever it feels like it.

So, can you just remove the unit without any problems to the car? I assume it's linked to the fuel and ignition system. Will just pulling out the unit solve my problem?

4 answers to this question

Those aftermarket immobilizer units are pretty annoying if you ask me. To deactivate it you can just unplug the unit. It's usually next to the steering column or under the cover on the bottom right of the dash where the handle you pull to open your hood is. If you have remote locking, that feature would get disabled too but if you want to keep it you are going to either need the manual for the unit or trace down the wires used for the immobilizer part of the unit fand cut em off. If it's not working all together I would suggest just unplugging the unit and leaving the harnes intact as you would splice the same harness to install a new unit later on.

Those aftermarket immobilizer units are pretty annoying if you ask me. To deactivate it you can just unplug the unit. It's usually next to the steering column or under the cover on the bottom right of the dash where the handle you pull to open your hood is. If you have remote locking, that feature would get disabled too but if you want to keep it you are going to either need the manual for the unit or trace down the wires used for the immobilizer part of the unit fand cut em off. If it's not working all together I would suggest just unplugging the unit and leaving the harnes intact as you would splice the same harness to install a new unit later on.

Yeah, in the few weeks that I used it, it did get on my nerves. I did have remote locking, but the locking mechanism unit on the door is faulty, so I'm thinking of dicthing the immobiliser and installing a new central locking system. Simpler is better. For me at least. Thanks for the info machang.

Btw, are there any recommended central locking systems? I don't know what the guy at the shop has, but he did mention that most of the systems nowadays are not as durable as their older counterparts.

Yeah, in the few weeks that I used it, it did get on my nerves. I did have remote locking, but the locking mechanism unit on the door is faulty, so I'm thinking of dicthing the immobiliser and installing a new central locking system. Simpler is better. For me at least. Thanks for the info machang.

Btw, are there any recommended central locking systems? I don't know what the guy at the shop has, but he did mention that most of the systems nowadays are not as durable as their older counterparts.

I've never worked with after market central locking systems so I wouldn't know much about which would be the best. On the other hand, why not get down a used factory remote, RKE module and lock actuators and just install that? Would be a much clearner install. I've actually installed a few factory systems for my friends, all I had to do was put in a new RKE module and have a dealer reprogram the remotes. I would check with Hyundai Lanka (i'm assuming it's for your Tuscani) to check if they can reprogram your remotes.

Edited by jdnet

I've never worked with after market central locking systems so I wouldn't know much about which would be the best. On the other hand, why not get down a used factory remote, RKE module and lock actuators and just install that? Would be a much clearner install. I've actually installed a few factory systems for my friends, all I had to do was put in a new RKE module and have a dealer reprogram the remotes. I would check with Hyundai Lanka (i'm assuming it's for your Tuscani) to check if they can reprogram your remotes.

That's a rather good idea. Now why didn't I think of that? :P