• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

European Cars In Sl

Duncan

Need clarification please.

I have noticed that European cars seem to attract a premium price as compared to Japanese makes in SL. Why is this?

Is this due to a discriminatory duty structure or people's perception that European cars are better?

I am quite curious as in our SA market there is no such discrimination. For example, a Toyota Camry would more or less be in the same category as a similarly speced BMW 5.

Cheers

I have noticed that European cars seem to attract a premium price as compared to Japanese makes in SL. Why is this?

Is this due to a discriminatory duty structure or people's perception that European cars are better?

I am quite curious as in our SA market there is no such discrimination. For example, a Toyota Camry would more or less be in the same category as a similarly speced BMW 5.

Cheers

Hi, Im not exactly sure but I'd hazard a few guesses. Probably has to do with the exchange rate along with the status. Im sure Presteige probably keeps a higher markup and sells less units whereas Toyota Lanka may have a slighly less markup but sell more units.

Also the availability of Jap cars to German cars here may have something to do with it. Practically every car sales place is filled with Jap cars and there are only a few German cars in recon car sales places.

Hi Duncan,

You are not completely correct in your observation, some European cars attract a premium especially the Mercedes Benz, and a few other makes.

But other brands loose a lot of value and do not have much of a second hand market,

Regards,

The Don

Cheers

i pretty much agree with wotz been said! i guess itz only da bradnew prices that are higher 4 euro cars in general, and datz coz f da markup thingy!

as for second hand cars, itz only mercs.(may be 3 series too) that would command good prices!

Duncan...

Your correct...but being in the trade I can tell you...the people who opt to go for these European cars are people of a certain class...no matter what anyone say that is just fact. On the same topic yes your rite abt the Camry being in par with the BMW5...........but fact remains that at the end of the day the Japanese cars cant give what the European premium brands offer.....(ex: Audi's FSI technology)..................and people who invest in these brand dont even condsider a Japanese car to be in the same league....its the mentality machang.....

Duncan...

Your correct...but being in the trade I can tell you...the people who opt to go for these European cars are people of a certain class...no matter what anyone say that is just fact. On the same topic yes your rite abt the Camry being in par with the BMW5...........but fact remains that at the end of the day the Japanese cars cant give what the European premium brands offer.....(ex: Audi's FSI technology)..................and people who invest in these brand dont even condsider a Japanese car to be in the same league....its the mentality machang.....

Thanks for your replies guys. I was just curious.

Ashan.....you are quite right in what you say. When the playing fields are level European (especially German) cars are still leagues ahead of the Japanese brands in terms of design and build quality. However, not as reliable as the Japanese.

It is for this reason, our SA market is still predominantly a European brand market when it comes to cars with exceptions towards iconic cars like the EVO, Sti, GTR, etc.

It's my opinion too, that for sheer all round driving pleasure the Europeans rule. Pitty that their reliability issues still need some way to go.

Cheers