• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Proton Gen 2

zeem35

I think the proton gen2 is quite a nice car, though i dont like its interior too much. Standard options for the 1.6 are dual airbags and abs with ebd.

M/T A/T

MAXIMUM SPEED 190 km/h 185 km/h

ACCELERATION 0 - 100 KM/H 10.5 sec 13.0 sec

FUEL CONSUMPTION@ 90KM/H

CONSTANT 5.8 L/100 km 6.2 L/100 km

1.6-MAXIMUM POWER

110 hp (82 kW) @ 6000 rpm

All this for 2.6 million is not bad, but you also could get a recon car such as a Toyota IST or toyota corolla. If you want to go brand new, the Kia cerato is also worth considering as it starts at 2.6million. Standard basic options are dual airbags, abs with ebd, plus it has leather, FTCS (Full Traction Control System)

The DOHC petrol engine lineup for the cerato includes 1.6-litre with 105 ps and 2.0-litre CVVT with 143 ps, while CRDi diesel engine has two kinds, 1.5-litre with 102 ps/22.0 kg.m and 2.0-litre with 112ps/25.0 kg.m

0-60mph-

1.6l -10.4 sec 2.0l- 8.5 sec

1.6l - 105 hp 2.0l- 143 hp

The cerato 1.6 is also marginally faster. The kia brand is more distinguished than the proton badge, but both cars are quite good, though the cerato would be a better buy for about only 2 lakhs more.

mmmm.....Nice Info About both cars…... :angry-smiley-048::angry-smiley-048::angry-smiley-048:

& look at this pic a Modified Gen 2.....really nice :D

gen21kv.jpg

Well Azeem, its like this, risk is always relative, and like Shak and Pericles I also urge you to approach this issue logically rather than jumping to rash conclusions,

This is the info we have,

We have quite a few wira's running arround, and we have the experiences of those owners, I have never owned a proton, I have seen a few well maintained ones as well as a few crap ones (mostly gov owned), so I think if you are serious about this car, you can ask a few people who have owned them. From the little info I have from forums etc. most say they are pretty decent cars, and good engines.

We have a 2 year warranty on the whole car and 10 years against corrotion. So both those depts are covered. The only things to worry about apart from that are upholstry and plastics etc. Coming loose etc etc.

Then you have all the other cars in the same price category and you can compare and contrast what they offer compared to this car at that price. Remember a lot of jap cars with low genuine low milleage have met with accidents and repaired. Some of these accidents are very light, like fenders bumpers and doors damaged, and it has got auctioned off, but I am realiably informed there are some with chassy damage etc being bought over as well. Not to say there are cars which are in perfect condition in the re con market, I am just warning you about the others.

Then there is your needs, what do you want in a car, what are you gonna use it for, would you do a lot of heavy running on relatively bad roads etc etc ?.

he he then my friend you can happily decide if what you need is a Gen 3 or something else :)

The Don

thx don for the reply.. i always liked the Mazda3..

i wanted to go aborad ofr my studies so i couldnt buy a car.. actually i said i dont want a car cuz it will be useless.. just parked inside the garage for years till i return..

but now the things r not the same.. change of plans.. so im going a head with the car..

my dad says to buy a car for around 2 Million..

but im getting a really good package for 2.6 i guess i can convince him n be stubborn lol

anyways.. i always had a parking space problem so i was searching for compact cars. now i dont have the problem cuz now our garage can accomadate 2 vehicles my dads van tats cr27 lite ace..

but still i have doubts whther i can opark a really long car..

anyways im really confused i dunno wat to buy.. anyways i always wanted a sedan cuz its just a complet car..

gen 2 alomost looks lik a sedan.. at first i thought its a sedan..

anyways.. lets see whats gonna happen..

the red gen2 is really flashy :)

i saw one on road it was really beautiful i lik the rear design the front..

huh just now i noticed alot of spelling mistakes sorry because of typing fast and second alot of anyways hak hak :(

u hav no justification as to how this car will perform so dont diss it for no reason jus cos its malaysian...if u cant prove it wit facts dont say anythng...hav u owned one of these? i didnt think so

Nope i didnt...not even planning to :)

thx don for the reply.. i always liked the Mazda3..

i wanted to go aborad ofr my studies so i couldnt buy a car.. actually i said i dont want a car cuz it will be useless.. just parked inside the garage for years till i return..

but now the things r not the same.. change of plans.. so im going a head with the car..

my dad says to buy a car for around 2 Million..

but im getting a really good package for 2.6 i guess i can convince him n be stubborn lol

anyways.. i always had a parking space problem so i was searching for compact cars. now i dont have the problem cuz now our garage can accomadate 2 vehicles my dads van tats cr27 lite ace..

but still i have doubts whther i can opark a really long car..

anyways im really confused i dunno wat to buy.. anyways i always wanted a sedan cuz its just a complet car..

gen 2 alomost looks lik a sedan.. at first i thought its a sedan..

anyways.. lets see whats gonna happen..

the red gen2 is really flashy :(

i saw one on road it was really beautiful i lik the rear design the front..

huh just now i noticed alot of spelling mistakes sorry because of typing fast and second alot of anyways hak hak B)

U want a "sedan that looks like a coupe"? B) well, we'll forget about the CLS (price) and the RX-8 (price) hmmm hmmmm. Well, if u want a proper sedan in that price range, madmax if trying to off load his SiR.... But I don't recomend Hondas, just mentioned it coz he keeps making noise about it, and I have to listen coz he works with me B)

I would say tho, don't buy it if u plan on sneaking out at night. Most common complaint I seem to hear from them boys with lound exhausts is that its hard to sneak out at night coz their moms wake up :P In madmax's case its coz him wife wakes up. And then he aint getting any for a week :) (ok, I just made that up, but its probably true :P )

Edited by Pericles

Hi Zeem,

A friend of mine own a '04 Gen 2.(Not In SL) And I have been in his car. The only thing I can say abt it is that its a nice little car if you can live with its Proton badge, nasty plastic interior and depreciation. My friend had it for one and half yrs and has 15000 miles on the clock. According to him so far it has given him no worries.

Though he knows of few people who had problems with overheating (thermostat and heater matrix).

But In think in SL you really dont have to worry abt depreciation of the vehicle as all the laws of economics goes for a six ( Older the car gets it appreciate in value) :) But i should say the interior is made of really cheap plastics (though they look nice from distance) which wouldnt last long unless you take great care of them.

;)But i should say the interior is made of really cheap plastics (though they look nice from distance) which wouldnt last long unless you take great care of them.

mmmm,,,, :D:lol::D:P

Bishu,

Brother what you didnt understand is that Im talking abt Gen 2 Not Gen 2 R3, if still not sure what the difference is ask somebody who knows better.

Yes Bro ...R3 is the problem...NO Idea about the Difference :alc:

Yes Bro ...R3 is the problem...NO Idea about the Difference :D

Well here is for your information. For a start Gen2 is the standard version of the model where as Gen2 R3 is the performance oriented version. "R" usually stands either for "Race" or "Rally" . Biggest difference is the price. An "R" version would always have a considerably higher price tag than the standard version.

So for these extra couple of grands you spend you always get an upgraded interior i.e Sport seats,sports steering wheel, a little bit of chrome, carbon fiber and luxury hide here and there. also not to mention you get a much improved car in all other aspects as well (Exterior design, Safety features, Performance ect)

Eg: Golf R34, focus RS ect

My point is when I say the interior of the a standard car is made of cheap plastics please dont show me an article about an "R" version and say " Now Whats this?" Because its common knowledge that an "R" is always better/ improved in almost all aspects than a standard car including interior.

WELL THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE.

For your better understanding first get into a Honda civic and then get into a typr R and compare the difference in interior

My point is when I say the interior of the a standard car is made of cheap plastics please dont show me an article about an "R" version and say " Now Whats this?" Because its common knowledge that an "R" is always better/ improved in almost all aspects than a standard car including interior.

true...and thats one version that wont be importd here so there's no use considerin it

Edited by sharkster

Well I guess if somebody wants a R3 I am sure one of the dealers who import vehicles from singapore can get one down, though it won't have the warranty. I wonder if the agents might do it on request .... who knows ... but at that price range there might be other options

The Don

• 1 year later...

yo guys..... isn't the Gen.2 a good car??

came across a Reconditioned Grey 1.6 Gen.2.... thought of going for tht...

do u guys recomend the car? an drawbacks? how's the maintenance cost & parts?

can anyone help me out with this?

yo guys..... isn't the Gen.2 a good car??

came across a Reconditioned Grey 1.6 Gen.2.... thought of going for tht...

do u guys recomend the car? an drawbacks? how's the maintenance cost & parts?

can anyone help me out with this?

Pros.

Good car, good engine, really good handling, really good looks, agents are good.

Cons.

gearbox is shitty (on the auto) and value depreciates damn fast! Build quality also isn't quite on par with most jap cars.

Actually be interesting to see someone race it, after putting in a diff engine/tranny. It really holds the road damn well even at speed. And my max was 165, which I thought wasn't too bad at all, considering auto and all that :D

How much is it?

Yes, I wonder if Proton still uses Mitsubishi engine designs since their break from them,

no surprise about the handling I guess, thats all Lotus :)

Its refreshing to see the Malaysians coming up with their own designs rather than robbing or copying other designs like certain other countries

maybe a good alternative to Chinese and Indian imports, though its hardly become popular over here since being launched, and sadly so

The Don

Yes, I wonder if Proton still uses Mitsubishi engine designs since their break from them,

no surprise about the handling I guess, thats all Lotus :)

Its refreshing to see the Malaysians coming up with their own designs rather than robbing or copying other designs like certain other countries

maybe a good alternative to Chinese and Indian imports, though its hardly become popular over here since being launched, and sadly so

The Don

No, not Mitsu engines. Still no variable valve tech (thats under development)

And a good alternative, but I'm not sure its in the same price bracket. a 1600cc Gen2 will be 2.6 upwards at the agents.

I'm guessing there will be no problem with the parts. There are honestly massive amounts on the road. Someone gonna notice and bring in parts.

• 1 month later...

value depreciates damn fast!

???? i dont quite agree with u machn...

no one sells the 1600cc stuff for less than 2million

u might get 1 or 2 here & there for 1.9million or below, but petty sure they r hacked stuff!!!

u might notice that there are 3 white Gen2's goin around for very less (not to mention the price) :)