• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Carina Gt (contd Frm Kumudu's Post)

gunat

Hey Guys,

Just read Kumudu's post on GT/Ti models yesterday, only to find that we have use the new forum from today....!

I think everyone on the posting covered most of the details on the GT/Ti.

Here's an interesting way to get some accurate information off the Japanese-only carview website.

Go to the babelfish online translator (or any other translator you prefer):

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

and type in the following links to translate the japanese scriptures:

http://catalogue.carview.co.jp/TOYOTA/CARI...001/engines.asp

http://catalogue.carview.co.jp/TOYOTA/CARI...cifications.asp

http://catalogue.carview.co.jp/TOYOTA/CARI...996/engines.asp

http://catalogue.carview.co.jp/TOYOTA/CARI...cifications.asp

Note that the GT sits 10mm lower than the other models, and that the actual chassis identification of the post 2000 models is STILL AT210, although we know it to have the "new look" front and rear.

Also, the -models inherited the 6 speed MT from the Levin, which i am told is the best engine/tranny combination for the 4AGE. They also come with larger alloys (15") as standard.

Incidently, I'm thinking of upgrading my GT to 15" alloys- its sitting on 14" with Jap. Bridgestone Turanza AQs (195/60 R14) which i paid 40k for- i will probably sell them off- anyone interested? B)

Good luck on the hunt K...

cheers

v

hey,

was looking for you! now only you WOKE UP. dude got some questions to ya.

why it is said that a Carina GT engine after 100,000 have been wasted, i mean i notised that people say dat the engine starts to knock and all. how do i find a engine which has been taken care of? and if i come across a engine which already knocks wot can i do for dat? how much would it cost to return the engine to the STOCK condition?

as a owner of a Carina GT, wot comments you have for the car? engine parts? hows the avalability? how must the engine be treated? after all wot would you recommend?

wots da price u took your car? and when? wots the condition?

thanks for da help!

- Kim

Hey Waruna!!

Hows it going dude?? Let me know when you purchase those tyres as I may need to change mine soon as well, maybe we can get discount or something on 8 tyres.. Machan out of curiosity what are the chances of picking up a 6 speed GB in SL for the GT??

Hey Guys...

Yeah, yeah...so i've been a goner for a while- was on strict vacation, so i avoided the laptop and phone as much as possible! :D

K- Yes you're right in hearing about the sensitivity of the 4AGE once it breaks 100k; but nothing that can't be prevented, with good maitenence habits. My car is now at 120k, and its still going strong....no knocking, pinging (that only happens if you pump 90 octane!) or strange vibrations.

Having said that, i have to admit i border on maniac-type maintenence on my car.

- change oil every 3000kms, regardless of colour. I use standard multigrade 20W-50 Mobil XHP (synthetic does absolutely no good for older engines)

- tranny oil once a year

- New plugs once a year (standard platinums- iridiums are great, but they don't last too long in our hot environment)

- New Fuel Filter once a year

- I've yanked the standard air filter out and put in a K&N cone, which is really economical in the long run, given that an original filter is about 1500 rs, which should be changed every other service, given our shitty air quality!

- Radiator Flush once a year; i use BP coolant, which comes in a 5 litre can, and you don't mix it with water

- I'm now under the impression that the engine mounts don't last too long; mine were replaced at 80k, and now my mech. says its getting slightly worn.

- I'm also particular about keeping tire pressure up and correct weekly...given our road conditions, there's a substantial amount of wear and tear on the suspension already, and i'm pretty sure some it gets to the engine too....just by vibrations, etc.

- i've read on club 4AG website that the early 4AGE (16v's) had a tendency to have failed bearings around 150k, but i've yet to hear of a 20v with this problem. By the time the 20v came out, Toyota/Yamaha had 15 years to perfect the internals...so i'm going on the hope that with the correct maintenence, i'll get to about 150k, after which i will rebuild the engine.

As for you finding an good engine- thats like jumping blindfolded into a pool of crocs man!

Sadly, most of the early GT's that were brought to SL were used as daily drivers with chaffeurs! So a lot of them didn't get the attention that was needed to ensure the engine will last.

To get one into correct stock shape would probably cost in the region of about 60-120k, depending on what kind of work needs to be done. A lot of the parts have to be brought from Japan or Toyota Lanka will have to get them, as they do not keep stock of most of the parts- thus quite expensive.

IMO, Nadheera Jinasena has the most experience with working with the 20v 4AGE- he has (to my knowledge) worked on 2 engines so far...both performance boosted with port/polish, high lift cams etc.

As an owner, i have to say its one hell of a car. I've owned a Mazda MX-5 and a old 84' BMW 318is coupe back in the day; and while the GT can't compete with them in terms of handling and sheer driving enjoyment; neither one can compare when it comes that screamer of an engine, and performance. I really wish they made a smaller package with the same engine!

But in terms of combining practicality with fast, enjoyable transport, the GT is a damned good car. Its more comfortable than the Vi-Rs/RS, and is actually a little more anonymous, if thats what you prefer.... :)

I bought my car back in '03 spring- it had only 2 SL owners- both relatively good about taking care of the car. Paid 1.1; which at the time...was a hell of a deal. I've done a lot of work on it since. New wheels+tires (originally came with steels/hubcaps!)- i actually went through 2 sets of tires in 1 year; the first were Rikens, and they were so hard, they messed up the ride. Now i've settled nicely with the BG's. New suspension all around, new exhuast (Elcardo- they suck; going to Tokimo); New Paint. I've also had to replace the routine maintenence stuff, like alternator, power steering pump, etc. I'd have to say my car is in relatively good nick...of course, for being 8 years old, its no pushover....but i do my best to keep it good.

Kris- dude, i'll let you know abt the 15" BG's...it all depends on whether i find the right 15" alloys to fit the car. I looked at OZ, but they don't have my PCD size! So i've gotta hunt around.

No luck in finding a 6speed GB yet. I'm still thinking of making a trip to K'negala to do a hunt, but time is a restricting factor!

I've attached a not-so-great pic...hope it won't hog up too much space...

Good luck guys.

v

post-2047-1136522262.jpg

WOH! thanks a lot man!!!! dats being SO descriptive, proud dat ther are

ppl lik you out ther..

this is like as if i own the Carina GT manual(book) it self :)

thanks a lot once again Waruna!

WOH! thanks a lot man!!!! dats being SO descriptive, proud dat ther are

ppl lik you out ther..

this is like as if i own the Carina GT manual(book) it self ;)

thanks a lot once again Waruna!

btw kim if u ever get a GT let me knw cos i hav a 4AGE workshop manual