• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cheap Shot Michael Schumacher

Overdrive

I've watched this thread dispassionately for a while, and I must say that some of you misunderstood the aftermath of Saturday's qualifying.

What Michael did was commit a professional foul, something not unknown in other sports. The FIA reprimanded him not because he was cheating, but because what he did contravened the sporting regulations.

On no occasion did they use the word 'cheat', which was an allegation of the gutter-dwelling British press. You have to understand the psyche of somebody like Iron Mike. He places such a high premium on winning that he will do practically anything to win. IMO, that is something to be admired, the single-minded dedication to doing his job well.

Drivers like David Coulthard etc, that spoke out against Michael immediately following qualifying need to be reminded of their own histories when it comes to blocking rival fast laps. In fact, in most of the junior European single-seater formulae, blocking fast laps is the norm, because it is such a cut-throat world there. Its only because its Michael, and because it was Monaco that this was highlighted to such an extent.

Mind you, I'm not endorsing what he did, but the realities have to examined before judgements are made. Those who called for him to be thrown out of F1, and those who said that he was a bad example to other drivers were surely being facetious.

As for the argument that the FIA protects Ferrari and Michael, I dont believe thats the case anymore. In the late '90s, when they still hadn't won a title, the FIA may (and this is debateable) have marginally sided with them, but now there are plenty of brands like Kimi, Renault, Alonso, Honda, Toyota and Nico Rosberg keeping interest at an all-time peak. In short, F1 is no longer dependent on the 'Ferrari Returns!' angle, and they have no reason to favour Michael anymore.

I have to say though, that was one of the best Monaco GPs I have ever seen. Its a shame that there is not going to be a Spa this year.

• 2 weeks later...