• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw X1 Vs 318D

kaushama

X1 vs 318D  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best buy?

• X1 sDrive 20D
    • 320D

Actually had a look at how you could ramp up a e90. The most difficult option is putting in iDrive. You need to ripout and replace the whole dashboard to fit the monitor in. Thats a bit of a issue as it will probably cancel out the BMW warranty on a new car. Having said that the ipod kit can be installed - unlike the E46 bmw has chosen to put in a 1 line display on the upper console between the two speakers - looks a bit weird though. Having said that you can retro fit idrive but you need the display, idrive controller and replacement navi/dvd module to do so. Talking fairly big bucks - like a thousand pounds but not impossible to do. You will also need a DIS to re-code all these options into it. The replacement dash could be the biggest stumbling block but having removed a E46 dash and seen a E90 dash removed as well - me thinks its not really such a difficult task - just need time and patience to do it carefully without damaging anything. You will need to source a dash probably from UK but they actually aren't that expensive :) Expect lots of cut fingers though :) BMW seem to install random razor blades on the dash carrier just to discourage people from pulling them out. The bluetooth however can be retrofitted into the existing cd display. Front and rear PDC is also possible - as is the Rls sensor for the auto rain and lights. Its actually quite fun if you know what you're doing. :)

Cheers,

MadMMx

That way it should be possible... Thanks for the advise... But it seems to be some task to get it done, what I don't get is that, as an premium brand, certain options should have been there, like Bluetooth, rain and light sensors, bumper sensors, and of course alloys... People, specially in Sri lanka, go that extra distance in buying an European is for that fact that they used to offer these features as standard like it had with the E46. It seems to be that both the E90 and A4 will be having new versions coming beginning of next year... The VW Passat is fully loaded as well, very good car, but it's at a different class when compared to Audi and BMW.

true but if you had a permit in your hands would you risk not buying one? I can't trust this govt as they seem to change things over night and I deff don't want to be buying a Micro Kyron with my permit... I'm even scared to wait for another week till Audi A4 diesel becomes available...

I got a permit and I'm going to wait for the new 320d I think it's worth the risk,

Otherwise I'd have to kill myself when there will be great cars which will be offered in the future on the roads and when I'm in an old model,

But It's a risk but i think it's worth taking

• Like 1

Dude, you should really get some sleep... whats the matter? Insomnia? Nissan Fuel figures keeping you up?

i am outta da country on a short visit so i am not really going sleepless but past patterns show that you're not really having good ones either.

• 3 weeks later...

Even if the cc limit is increased with the current CIF limit the options will not change much...My personal opinion is to buy ASAP, because these permits were passed in the parliament in Dec 2010..These were issued mainly for people who missed out on the opportunity on the 2007 issue, due to early withdrawal. Its June already and these might expire by August/Sept. So why would the government increase the limit on the permit. Not that the country is significantly prospering either.Anyway the options are not increasing anymore, but certain dealers have discontinued offers, indicating that they have info as to when these will expire.Good luck to those speculators.

• 3 weeks later...

Went to inspect one of the first 320d batches to come. They do come with fine engines, that is for sure. But my only concern was that the model offered under the permit is as basic as it gets. It even lacks climate control and alloys. Stark difference from the e46 320d's that came fully loaded under the previous schemes

Went to inspect one of the first 320d batches to come. They do come with fine engines, that is for sure. But my only concern was that the model offered under the permit is as basic as it gets. It even lacks climate control and alloys. Stark difference from the e46 320d's that came fully loaded under the previous schemes

hey rangerover. was there auto dimming exterior and interior mirrors in the 320d? the sales guy said its standard, but I have my doubts about it.

nevertheless you can retrofit most of the extra gizmos, like iDrive with 8.8" screen (needs a new dashboard), park sensors, Bi-xenons.... will cost an arm and a leg though.

hey rangerover. was there auto dimming exterior and interior mirrors in the 320d? the sales guy said its standard, but I have my doubts about it.

nevertheless you can retrofit most of the extra gizmos, like iDrive with 8.8" screen (needs a new dashboard), park sensors, Bi-xenons.... will cost an arm and a leg though.

Actually you can't retrofit the idrive as the dashboard doesn't have the fitting for the monitor - you will need to change the whole dash as well to retrofit the idrive + display which is a bit of a drag

Actually the big problem with the e90 is coding in new options. You are limited to NCSExpert as the older DIS will generally not work so well. They have a new coding tool called Ista-p which prestige has just imported. Also the internal data buses in the car are fiber optic. Have read about several successful iDrive conversions but its a lot of work + a lot of parts. Generally the display, navi computer + iDrive cic are about 1000 pounds. Accessorizing the E90 is pretty painful in comparison to the E46 which was very easy to do. However me thinks that putting in the park distance control ..etc doesn't appear to be too difficult.

Cheers,

• 5 weeks later...

well rather than going into such trouble

and altering the stock condition of the vehicles so much

and letting local mukabasses deal with complex beemers, and mess things up

i'd rather go for a fully loaded recondition 318i, better yet a c180

Edited by toyota sucks

the brand new 318i is 10+ million, and the one given for the permit (320d) is 5.5 million. the diesel without an agument is a better car than its petrol simblings. so say your willing to pay another 1 million to retrofitlike 8.8"idrive with a new dashboard + front and rear PDC + Rear view camera, cruise cotrol (we got highways coming up),rain + light sensors, geniune HID xenon lights, and more... so for 6.5 million you can have a brand new loaded BMW 320d!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Does introduction of X1 has any negative impact on the target market for BMWs? (Assuming BMW and Mercs are competing the top end of the market)

Definitely yes. When ever a new model is released by these market leaders, people used to grab without any hesitation since they have been always coming out with the best design and latest features. However the X1 turned out to be a disaster and none of the people who bought it are satisfied. There are so many out for sale and hardly getting sold out. Even if it proves with performance its ugly inside out. Probably by mistake they have named it a SUV instead of hatch back car.

• Like 2

Definitely yes. When ever a new model is released by these market leaders, people used to grab without any hesitation since they have been always coming out with the best design and latest features. However the X1 turned out to be a disaster and none of the people who bought it are satisfied. There are so many out for sale and hardly getting sold out. Even if it proves with performance its ugly inside out. Probably by mistake they have named it a SUV instead of hatch back car.

Well the X1, a first sight is deff not the best car, but one that grows on the owner... Been using it as a daily driver for the past 4 months as it has been an absolutely brilliant car, and no, its not a hatchback, its a soft road SUV which has a better ground clearance (not approach angle) than a Kia Sorento. Recently went to Jaffna and along the Poonaryn Kilinochchi dirt track and was absolutely amazing in semi-offroad conditions, came out without a single scratch on the front lip.

Also when it comes to performance and fuel economy very few cars in the market are able to complete with it.

When I first got the car, I was regretting buying it cos of the lack of options, but that too is not bothering me any more, to be honest I don't need rain sensor wipers, automatic lights or reverse cameras with chinese multimedia head units that you get with jap cars.

This is personal taste, but I don't find anything that is ugly in this car, to be honest its the perfect all round, daily runner I could think of for the price that is offered for the permit holders.

• 2 months later...

Well the X1, a first sight is deff not the best car, but one that grows on the owner... Been using it as a daily driver for the past 4 months as it has been an absolutely brilliant car, and no, its not a hatchback, its a soft road SUV which has a better ground clearance (not approach angle) than a Kia Sorento. Recently went to Jaffna and along the Poonaryn Kilinochchi dirt track and was absolutely amazing in semi-offroad conditions, came out without a single scratch on the front lip.

Also when it comes to performance and fuel economy very few cars in the market are able to complete with it.

When I first got the car, I was regretting buying it cos of the lack of options, but that too is not bothering me any more, to be honest I don't need rain sensor wipers, automatic lights or reverse cameras with chinese multimedia head units that you get with jap cars.

This is personal taste, but I don't find anything that is ugly in this car, to be honest its the perfect all round, daily runner I could think of for the price that is offered for the permit holders.

trying to be optimistic does not help.. it still looks ugly on the outside...