• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Civic Hybrid

M navy

why? Because we got lots and lots of penny wise people around. They don't know the fact that they've become penny wise by being pound foolish. The opportunity cost of the huge 'investments' on some fuel efficient vehicles cannot justify by the fuel saving figures if you calculate and compare.

the worse part is when ppl spend 10+ million on a used Jap SUV when they can buy the same SUV with a better spec patrol for less than 6 million... I own a Jag and a Sti, and every bloody day get asked the question "so how is the fuel economy?" and there is notting more that annoys me..

Trust me on thi10s1, ppl think say that European diesels are better, to be honest u will not achieve 50mpg ever even highway driving, thanks to rent a car companies I have driven the very latest BMW 1/3 series diesel, Passart/Polo/corsa/Bravo TDI all of them stating over 50mpg and best I have ever got was around 35 to 40 mpg on highways it wasn't peddle to metal driving, but at normal speeds...

Don't get me wrong here modern diesels are definitely better than patrols when it comes fuel consumption and performance, therefore given a diesel for the same price as a patrol I would without a bout go for a diesel.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the worse part is when ppl spend 10+ million on a used Jap SUV when they can buy the same SUV with a better spec patrol for less than 6 million...

Don't get me wrong here modern diesels are definitely better than patrols when it comes fuel consumption and performance, therefore given a diesel for the same price as a patrol I would without a bout go for a diesel.

Well, in reality you WONT get both the diesel and petrol variants at the same price; so your statement itself is redundant. Its no different from saying, if a liter of diesel and petrol were the same price i'd rather drive a petrol. Or if a Maruti 800 and a STi9 were the same price I'd rather drive the STi... Its a no-brainer.

The whole point is to see how much running you do and to see if the extra premium price you pay for a diesel is offset by the savings in running fuel costs. :rolleyes:

You're just not the smartest jag/STi driver in town i guess.

Hmmm..... let me get this straight, you claim to know about Ships... yet knows very little (by your own admission) about cars.

What if I tell you, you know jack about ships as well?

If you are in the merchant navy as your name implies then you would be someone who will have at least an above average knowledge of anything mechanical (Unless you are the cook on board).

Stop acting like a sissy mate. If you are not getting the info you need, perhaps you are not asking the right questions. No need to write an essay on how unfair the world is.

Grow up!

thats what i told if you talk about ships you luk STUPID

DONT TALK ABOUT SHIPS MATE...YOU WILL LOOK STUPID..

there are 3 departments..

engine,deck and catering...

deck department doesnot need knowledge about the michanical things cos their job it to navigate the ship..

and im not the cook onboard..im a 3rd officer who works for the company Seaspan who has the licence of 2nd officer too..

if you wont further confirmation then ill give you the contact number of shipping ministry of sri lanka.

hope this answer is enough for you...

If you do love it so much and want it to continue, do try searching first. There are lots of knowledgeable people who have stopped posting simply because they have got tired of answering the same things again and again. If we're lucky, new people come along and take their place, until they get tired of it too.

yep..undestood.thanks.. :alc: :alc: :alc:

thats what i told if you talk about ships you luk STUPID

DONT TALK ABOUT SHIPS MATE...YOU WILL LOOK STUPID..

there are 3 departments..

engine,deck and catering...

deck department doesnot need knowledge about the michanical things cos their job it to navigate the ship..

and im not the cook onboard..im a 3rd officer who works for the company Seaspan who has the licence of 2nd officer too..

if you wont further confirmation then ill give you the contact number of shipping ministry of sri lanka.

hope this answer is enough for you...

I dont know who looks more stupid but it seems that the three departments are

1. Deck Department

2. Engineering department (there are quite a few non-engine room related mechanical stuff on board a ship)

3. Stewards Department (there are non-catering stuff this department performs like cleaning stuff etc)

Those are the 3 departments in merchant ships... Not too sure if it's the same for little boats though

Edited by Ripper

definitely machan, those nissan patrol's are heavy thirsty beasts.....but i might have to get into a 'bout' if I had to choose a diesel over a nissan patrol...adorable big brutes them...

Edited by tharindra

Machang M navy, so as the 3rd Officer in the ship, what are your duties?

How come if you have the license to be a 2nd Officer, why you still 3rd officer? Still cant cut it out to be better than what you are now?

1. Deck Department

2. Engineering department (there are quite a few non-engine room related mechanical stuff on board a ship)

3. Stewards Department (there are non-catering stuff this department performs like cleaning stuff etc)

Those are the 3 departments in merchant ships... Not too sure if it's the same for little boats though

Billions of Billious Blue Blistering Barnacles! it looks as though our seafaring friend's knowledge of ships needs about as much polishing as his knowledge of hybrids... :rolleyes:

Billions of Billious Blue Blistering Barnacles! it looks as though our seafaring friend's knowledge of ships needs about as much polishing as his knowledge of hybrids... :rolleyes:

This guy is Epic ! ! ! :lol:

Speaking about polishing where is MR.sylvi ?

didnt see him in a long time

1. Deck Department

ohhh you luks like a master mariner :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060:

steward department????

ha ha may be from Google ah?

steward is one of the ranks onboard...not a department...

Google didn't mention that?

Edited by M navy

Machang M navy, so as the 3rd Officer in the ship, what are your duties?

How come if you have the license to be a 2nd Officer, why you still 3rd officer? Still cant cut it out to be better than what you are now?

soooooooooo knowledgeable about shipping???

thats what i understand from this...search google and c may be ull get the answer as some one said steward department...

Oh and FYI, Skipper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steward's_Department#Steward.27s_department

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seafarer's_professions_and_ranks

Though I suppose you'll now say that YOUR shipping line does not operate this way and that we are STUPID for questioning your ULTIMATE AUTHORITY as you are the CAPTAIN (sorry 3rd/2nd Officer) OF YOUR SHIP AND MASTER OF ALL THAT YOU SURVEY!

Oh and FYI, Skipper:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steward's_Department#Steward.27s_department

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seafarer's_professions_and_ranks

Though I suppose you'll now say that YOUR shipping line does not operate this way and that we are STUPID for questioning your ULTIMATE AUTHORITY as you are the CAPTAIN (sorry 3rd/2nd Officer) OF YOUR SHIP AND MASTER OF ALL THAT YOU SURVEY!

ah thats what i was waiting for....finally google came out...

congrats dude...

you are arguing with me by referring google?

i no this is sri lankan style(thinking that you know every thing and dont want to listen any other)but listen dude..

if you see that list theres a rank called "Carpenter"

that rank is not there any more onboard ships..its business dude..shipping companies wants profit..

there a thing called safe manning certificate(a mandatory minimum requirements to ship to operate)..it does not need the Carpenter.

so companies doesn't employ Carpenters now..

and as per that list theres no Chief steward , Steward's assistant..

now days theres only 1 chief cook and one steward/mess boy...

department is called catering department where chief cook is the head of the department..

i can ask you couple of things which ull not find in google...but im not doing it..i dont have to prove anything to you..think what you want to think dude...

congrats dude...

i no this is sri lankan style(thinking that you know every thing and dont want to listen any other)but listen dude..

that rank is not there any more onboard ships..its business dude..shipping companies wants profit..

there a thing called safe manning certificate(a mandatory minimum requirements to ship to operate)..it does not need the Carpenter.

department is called catering department where chief cook is the head of the department..

i can ask you couple of things which ull not find in google...but im not doing it..i dont have to prove anything to you..think what you want to think dude...

Says the man who just posted a massive essay in an attempt to prove his "knowledge" of the merchant navy....

Thundering Typhoons!!! :lol:

Why the hell is this cooking on board a ship and carpentry, shipping professions etc etc going on in a car thread in the general automotive section?? blink.gif It's gone way OT and the whole thread makes little sense rolleyes.gif

@M navy - No dude, the hybrid Civic won't do 50km/l as it's just got a petrol engine with a motor to assist. Even idling consumes fuel. Not even a Prius could do that in SL conditions, end of story.

Says the man who just posted a massive essay in an attempt to prove his "knowledge" of the merchant navy....

Thundering Typhoons!!! :lol:

laugh.gif

Also funny to note a space after every sentence, reminds of someone controversial from 2010 who has greatly reduced his activity on the forum wink.gif

ohhh you luks like a master mariner :action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060:

steward department????

ha ha may be from Google ah?

steward is one of the ranks onboard...not a department...

Google didn't mention that?

it's a classification and yes there can and there is a position too under that department.

like there can be an engineer in the engineering department.

Just because the small ships you run in not having such a department doesn't mean it's the same all over...

And yes it's from the web...so what's your point..

i never said i was an expert on shipping matters :)

but i do know the difference in an "engineering department" and the "engine room department" as you say :P

haiyo...not the smartest tool in the shed aren't we :P

of course there are no more carpenters cos there aren't that many carpentry work to be done at sea in a ship.

Possibly that role was mostly necessary when wood was used as a shipbuilding material and mid sea repairs etc were needed...

really a no-brainer to figure out and don't think it has a lot to do with shipping companies wanting to have a higher margin.

Maybe hiring folks as 3 mates when they are qualified 2nd mates might be to increase their margins :P

congrats dude...

Just thought I'd point out, he's referred to Wiki, not Google.

Tsk tsk. These people these days, no attention to detail.

Machang it sound like a small boat you work in, I think you definitely will need a carpenter.

Again, how is the fuel consumption on these boats?