• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nissan Caravan Autogear Problem

Deep

Question

I recently bought a second hand Nissan Caravan Auto gear van. After using it for about 2 months the d gear does not work and now we are using D2. Even then the engine races when going over 30km. I have shown this vehicle to two or three mechanics and they have given different solutions to this problem. One told me to replace the gear box with a reconditioned auto gear box, one told me that it's a problem with a sensor and that the sensor should be replaced, and one told me to clean the filter and replace the transmission oil, but that even after replacing the oil if it does not work I will have repair the gear box for around 35k. Please advice me as to what I should do.Thank you.

16 answers to this question

I recently bought a second hand Nissan Caravan Auto gear van. After using it for about 2 months the d gear does not work and now we are using D2. Even then the engine races when going over 30km. I have shown this vehicle to two or three mechanics and they have given different solutions to this problem. One told me to replace the gear box with a reconditioned auto gear box, one told me that it's a problem with a sensor and that the sensor should be replaced, and one told me to clean the filter and replace the transmission oil, but that even after replacing the oil if it does not work I will have repair the gear box for around 35k. Please advice me as to what I should do.Thank you.

Hi!

I did some forum searching for you, try Mr Ajith of Roadstar Seeduwa 0777 383 526

(400m from Seeduwa junction towards Raddolugama) for tranny issues he's recommended by forum members.

And wait 'til others to comment..

where are you from ?

Hi!

I did some forum searching for you, try Mr Ajith of Roadstar Seeduwa 0777 383 526

(400m from Seeduwa junction towards Raddolugama) for tranny issues he's recommended by forum members.

And wait 'til others to comment..

Thanks I'll contact him if I can't find anyone closer to Moratuwa.

Given the three options i would say replacing the filer and oil is just a stupid makabass idea cause if there was a problem with the ATF and the filer you wouldn't be able to drive in any position, and since this problem is only there in D my first advice is to ditch that mechanic.

The guy who said "a problem with the sensor" might have a point.Best thing to do is try replacing the sensor.Worse case scenario would be having to replace the gearbox

Also do you know how old your gearbox is ? If its older than 10 years the best thing to do is to replace the entire thing cause even if you fix this problem something else will come up cause your gearbox is old now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does your van have the original engine? Once I came across the same problem with a Caravan used by the company I was working for. The cause was finally identified as the van having a replaced engine incorrectly coupled with the gearbox. I don't know the exact mechanism but apparently the gearbox wasn't suitable for the engine. Eventually got the gearbox replaced and the van started acting normal.

It's worth an investigation. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone. If I have to replace the gearbox is it better to replace with an auto gear or convert it to manual. Around how much will it cost and can anyone recommend a place to buy a good reconditioned gear box.

Thanks everyone. If I have to replace the gearbox is it better to replace with an auto gear or convert it to manual. Around how much will it cost and can anyone recommend a place to buy a good reconditioned gear box.

Conversion from auto to manual is not something recommended by many

Read more: http://forum.autolanka.com/Index.php?/topic/5295-changing-the-gearbox-from-auto-to-manual/page__p__74959__hl__%2Bconvert+%2Bauto+%2Bmanual__fromsearch__1#entry74959

auto to manual conversion will cost you 130000/= i had a caravan QD32 engine and had probs wit auto trans too. after u shift it to D it takes some time to engage. if u press the accellarator before that. it jumps forward suddenly. then dismantled the gearbox and found that the plastic O ring seal of the D drive assembly had cracked and not allowing oil pressure to build up. replaced it from another dismantled gearbox and now it works fine!

all probs can be repaired. afterall, they are metal right!

if you cant find a good mechanic who knows their way aroung auto transmission, then just go for a reconditioned auto gearbox. nissan serina, caravan TD27 and QD32 all have the same gearbox. will cost maximum of 30000/=

average price is 25000/=

btw im 4rm kandy and there are three famous auto transmission repairers here. they do conversions too.

• Like 1

btw im 4rm kandy and there are three famous auto transmission repairers here. they do conversions too.

hey i am form kandy to if you can pm me the places that do auto transmission repairers

and btw you know the price of cr 27 lotto automatic gearbox.

Edited by nexus

hey i am form kandy to if you can pm me the places that do auto transmission repairers

and btw you know the price of cr 27 lotto automatic gearbox.

the places where they do conversions are (Rila from mawilmada - 0777381494)

Auto gearbox repairers are - Saman Motors- 0777528506 katugastota close to police station

and 'Auto Niyas' at pilimatalawa - hes a well known person there but i seem to have lost his number. if you contact saman motors then you will be able to get his number too.

cr27 auto gearbox will also go around 30 to 35 because it is compatible with hiace dolphin. so its a bit high in demand. you can also fix a dolphin auto gbox. try mawilmada rila. he has used ones. you can get it at abt 15 to 20k

1) The D2 position prevents the gear from shifting above 2nd so the engine revving up after 30 (Which I assume to be the next gear changing position) is normal.

2) Machan don't jump in to do a auto to maual conversion, you will almost never end up with a correct conversion as from the factory.

3) Unlike in a manual, the transmission and the gear shifter are not physically linked in an auto. The shifter is actually an elctronic switch that sends signals to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) to instruct which gears to engage and how to engage them. It's just a hunch but probably the problem is with the contacts or wiring on the shifter. If you know a bit about auto wiring, removing the shifter, taking it apart and putting it back is not a big deal. Most probably the contacts for engaging the D position need to be cleaned. Do this before changing any sensors, swapping transmissions or conversions (DON'T). I could be wrong but it won't hurt your wallet to try this out first.

4) Oh! and always disconnect the battery (Negative terminal) before attempting any electrical repairs. :jumping-smiley-013:

Edited by Anjo

Most probably you will have to replace your gear box bro.. :( I got the same issue with a QD32 & I did replace the gb with a manual one. The person who done this convertion said that the gear oil pressure inside the gb is not up to expected level. You may also experiencing this that if you drive the vehicle for about 1-2 km, you should be able to drive it on 'D' position. According to them, this is not worth repairing since the same problem will happen again after driving several thousands of km s.

BTW. I did my convertion since I was willing to do so & the same time gb given the problem. I'm not advising you to do an auto-manual convertion here. :)