• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2 In Auto Gear Box

abiman

Hi,

Is it suitable to use 2 position in auto gear vehicle (L-2-D-N-R-P) when driving in traffic?

thanks

No that would not be a good idea, im guessing you want to use this to save fuel ?

In case you are wondering the "2" Position is there to be used in situations where you get stuck on mud and snow or going down steep hills.It will only lock the gears in the first two gear ratios and the outcome on fuel wont be any different than what you get with D

:alc:

No that would not be a good idea, im guessing you want to use this to save fuel ?

In case you are wondering the "2" Position is there to be used in situations where you get stuck on mud and snow or going down steep hills.It will only lock the gears in the first two gear ratios and the outcome on fuel wont be any different than what you get with D

:alc:

It is not about fuel.

I thought if I limit gear shifting to first two, wear-out of gear box will reduce because there is no lot of changes from gears 2 to 3.

OD ON/OFF button is supposed to do the same with gears 3 and 4 right?

It is not about fuel.

I thought if I limit gear shifting to first two, wear-out of gear box will reduce because there is no lot of changes from gears 2 to 3.

Dont you think if there was a different gear ration needed for traffic, manufacturers would have included something like T (Traffic) with the usual gear positions like P-N-D-L-R ?

How would limiting a gearbox that has 4 gear ratios to 2 going to reduce the wear ?

If all 4 gears are engaged all of them will wear equally where as if you drive with only 2 gears those 2 gear will have more wear than 3 and 4.you'll have to replace the gearbox sooner that way :rolleyes:

OD is not there to reduce gear wear, its there for cruising at high speeds with minimum engine load and maximize fuel efficiency.It just reduces the total amount of torque.it helps maintain speed with the minimum amount of acceleration possible.

It is not about fuel.

:action-smiley-060::action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060:

Well, if you keep the car at home, it will have the same effect, minimize wear and tear. That way, no wearing of your GearBox!

• Like 1

It is not about fuel.

Restricting the gear change makes no sense. If your not going fast enough for it to change, it won't change up to the next gear. If you are going fast enough to it to change, and you've restricted it, chances are your engine will be revving a bit faster, which is not what you want in stop and go traffic, and will also burn more fuel.

Edited by Big_D
  • Like 1

:action-smiley-060::action-smiley-060: :action-smiley-060:

Well, if you keep the car at home, it will have the same effect, minimize wear and tear. That way, no wearing of your GearBox!

:lol: nicely said VVTi

Hi mates

In some AT vehicles gear postions like "B" and "S" and shift lock butons meant for what ? ( ihave seen this things in cvt transmission vehicles), most of the useres have no idea actually what are the functions.

experts please shed some light on this area.

If you check the Vehicle Operation manual it will shed light to your problem. S would stand for 'Sport' on a CVT, L for 'Low', D for 'Drive'. E for 'Economy' )Going by a friend's Ek3 Vti with a CVT.

B may be for secondary gearing program?

Different manufacturers put different Symbols.

Hi,

Is it suitable to use 2 position in auto gear vehicle (L-2-D-N-R-P) when driving in traffic?

thanks

I sometimes use it to overtake......but for that you need vehicle with a high RPM

Hi mates

In some AT vehicles gear postions like "B" and "S" and shift lock butons meant for what ? ( ihave seen this things in cvt transmission vehicles), most of the useres have no idea actually what are the functions.

experts please shed some light on this area.

well you get this in cars like premio or allion.......the B is known as Brake similar to L or 2 in a normal Automatic....its used when going downhill to stop the car from speeding up.......and S is known as Sport...it seems it gives more power to the engine!!

I sometimes use it to overtake......but for that you need vehicle with a high RPM

well you get this in cars like premio or allion.......the B is known as Brake similar to L or 2 in a normal Automatic....its used when going downhill to stop the car from speeding up.......and S is known as Sport...it seems it gives more power to the engine!!

What the heck is a vehicle that has a high RPM ? Either way i feel sorry for the next buyer of your cars, he's gonna have to spend a shitload of money repairing the gearbox you screwed up :action-smiley-060:

In some cases S also stands for "Slow"

And gearboxes cant give power to the engine, the engine gives power to the gearbox. Sports mode only makes the gearshift longer to give more top end torque and HP.It has nothing to with the engine power,it only manages the power given to the gearbox :rolleyes:

:action-smiley-060:

What the heck is a vehicle that has a high RPM ? Either way i feel sorry for the next buyer of your cars, he's gonna have to spend a shitload of money repairing the gearbox you screwed up :action-smiley-060:

In some cases S also stands for "Slow"

And gearboxes cant give power to the engine, the engine gives power to the gearbox. Sports mode only makes the gearshift longer to give more top end torque and HP.It has nothing to with the engine power,it only manages the power given to the gearbox :rolleyes:

:action-smiley-060:

well i said high RPM cause in some vehicles you cant rev much such as in Hiace ( dolphin model)you cant do more than around 30 km/h with the 2nd gear dont know how it is in the new one.....and not only me, i have seen some other people also changing to "2" to overtake!

well i said high RPM cause in some vehicles you cant rev much such as in Hiace ( dolphin model)you cant do more than around 30 km/h with the 2nd gear dont know how it is in the new one.....and not only me, i have seen some other people also changing to "2" to overtake!

I dunno if you know this, but diesels typically don't have as wide a rev band as petrols. And the Hiace tends to be diesel.

If a vehicle could go to its top speed in the 2nd gear there wouldn't be a need for a 3rd and a 4th gear is there ? :rolleyes:

If you needed a separate gear for overtaking dont you think the manufacturers would have thought about it and included a separate gear position for it like O (overtaking) ?

If you saw other people driving with their pants down doesn't mean you should also drive like that does it ? :action-smiley-060:

I dont know why i have to keep repeating my self so ill give you a direct quote from wiki "This mode limits the transmission to the first two gear ratios, or locks the transmission in second gear on Ford, Kia, and Honda models. This can be used to drive in adverse conditions such as snow and ice, as well as climbing or going down hills in the winter time. Some vehicles will automatically shift up out of second gear in this mode if a certain RPM range is reached in order to prevent engine damage."

In conclusion 2 is not for overtaking so dont give me any stupid comments regarding this unless you have facts to prove that "2" position was in fact installed for the purpose of overtaking :action-smiley-060:

In conclusion 2 is not for overtaking so dont give me any stupid comments regarding this unless you have facts to prove that "2" position was in fact installed for the purpose of overtaking :action-smiley-060:

What the manufacturer intended it for, and what people use it for, are not necessarily the same thing...!

I was travelling in an X-Trail from Colombo to Badulla sometime back and the driver kept switching to 2 to overtake.

When u r stopped in traffic changing the shift to "N" may do good for fuel rather than stopping in "D".

Ok then, let me ask you something; in the average one hour commute, how much fuel would you save by doing that?

When u r stopped in traffic changing the shift to "N" may do good for fuel rather than stopping in "D".

No it doesnt, this topic has been discussed before.

Unfortunately i cant seem to find it :blink:

lot of changes from gears 2 to 3.

Means lot of times for vehicle to be in 3rd gear right?

So is it ok to cut the 3rd gear? :)

This is acceptable in city driving since we

hardly engage to the 4th gear.

I dunno if you know this, but diesels typically don't have as wide a rev band as petrols. And the Hiace tends to be diesel.

True! diesel vehicles are tuned for torque and petrol vehicles are tuned for horsepower....but cars usually have a higher rev band than other vehicles :)

If a vehicle could go to its top speed in the 2nd gear there wouldn't be a need for a 3rd and a 4th gear is there ? :rolleyes:

If you needed a separate gear for overtaking dont you think the manufacturers would have thought about it and included a separate gear position for it like O (overtaking) ?

If you saw other people driving with their pants down doesn't mean you should also drive like that does it ? :action-smiley-060:

I dont know why i have to keep repeating my self so ill give you a direct quote from wiki "This mode limits the transmission to the first two gear ratios, or locks the transmission in second gear on Ford, Kia, and Honda models. This can be used to drive in adverse conditions such as snow and ice, as well as climbing or going down hills in the winter time. Some vehicles will automatically shift up out of second gear in this mode if a certain RPM range is reached in order to prevent engine damage."

dude! i have tried this...and i have seen other people also doing it....what wikipedia says is correct...but that doesnt mean its only used for that purpose........if you search for "headlamp" in wikipedia...it'l say "A headlamp is a lamp, usually attached to the front of a vehicle such as a car, with the purpose of illuminating the road ahead during periods of low visibility, such as darkness or precipitation"....but dont you sometimes use headlamps as mean of communicating with other drivers in front of you such as to "stop"???

True! diesel vehicles are tuned for torque and petrol vehicles are tuned for horsepower....but cars usually have a higher rev band than other vehicles :)

dude! i have tried this...and i have seen other people also doing it....what wikipedia says is correct...but that doesnt mean its only used for that purpose........if you search for "headlamp" in wikipedia...it'l say "A headlamp is a lamp, usually attached to the front of a vehicle such as a car, with the purpose of illuminating the road ahead during periods of low visibility, such as darkness or precipitation"....but dont you sometimes use headlamps as mean of communicating with other drivers in front of you such as to "stop"???

Thats got to be the most stupidest example i have seen :action-smiley-060:

Yes true while lights are used mainly for illumination we also use them for communication, but when we use lights for communication it doesnt damage the lights does it ?

Where as revving too much on the "2" position would leave you in the middle of the road with a broken gearbox :rolleyes:

hey guys

please tell me what is the actual function of shift lock tab/ button which can be seen in many cvt vehicles like NZT 260.

thank you

Used when the battery has discharged or the ignition isnt turned on, once the button is pressed it allows the gear lever to be moved from P (parking) to N (neutral).

Thats got to be the most stupidest example i have seen :action-smiley-060:

Yes true while lights are used mainly for illumination we also use them for communication, but when we use lights for communication it doesnt damage the lights does it ?

Where as revving too much on the "2" position would leave you in the middle of the road with a broken gearbox :rolleyes:

that has never happened to me!!