• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2 In Auto Gear Box

abiman

that has never happened to me!!

May be urs is custom built to suite your theories!

All these idiotic theories come up because these individuals are lost in transition between manual and automatic gears. What you should understand is that rev matching techniques that you apply in manual gear vehicles cannot be emmulated in A/Ts. Why choose an automatic if you have to constantly change gears from D to 2 and to what not?

Why choose an automatic if you have to constantly change gears from D to 2 and to what not?

Exactly, I`ve never (or will not) own an auto but I thought driving an auto is quite simple. I mean the gear box is supposed to be changing gears "automatically" so why cant people just throw it in "D" and keep driving. :D

Why would anyone need to switch to 2 to overtake anyway? The G/B automatically shits down to an appropriate gear without over revving the engine if you step on the accelerator. Almost all owners manuals have advised to use 3 and below in low traction conditions or when constant hill climbing; in cars not equipped with an OD button, there is a 3 position or turn off OD if equipped and it's advised to use those to prevent overheating the transmission.

Exactly, I`ve never (or will not) own an auto but I thought driving an auto is quite simple. I mean the gear box is supposed to be changing gears "automatically" so why cant people just throw it in "D" and keep driving. :D

agree i drive a auto for past 12 months i don't have to change it to 2 to over take or anything usually i drive with D

Dot worry it'll happen soon enough :action-smiley-060:

May be urs is custom built to suite your theories!

All these idiotic theories come up because these individuals are lost in transition between manual and automatic gears. What you should understand is that rev matching techniques that you apply in manual gear vehicles cannot be emmulated in A/Ts. Why choose an automatic if you have to constantly change gears from D to 2 and to what not?

Why would anyone need to switch to 2 to overtake anyway? The G/B automatically shits down to an appropriate gear without over revving the engine if you step on the accelerator. Almost all owners manuals have advised to use 3 and below in low traction conditions or when constant hill climbing; in cars not equipped with an OD button, there is a 3 position or turn off OD if equipped and it's advised to use those to prevent overheating the transmission.

i have been using ma car for like 4 years...still no problem! and its a semi- automatic...like the one in this link

http://exchange.goo-net.com/usedcars/spread/700070558020110313007.html

and i dont think everything have to be done the way its said in wikipedia!!

anyway i have tried this in ma cousins corolla 110 ( normal automatic) as well

Maybe problems haven't come up yet and you've been lucky, but still it's not advisable, and not everything off wikipedia, owners' manuals do say about leaving it in D most of the time to prevent excessive wear or damage to the transmission, unless in a hill climbing situation where OD should be disengaged. Other positions are for low traction conditions where upshifting might occur at unwanted times due to wheel spin and the GB 'thinking' the vehicle is moving fast.

You probably don't have an owners manual as it's a JDM right? So you just do whatever you feel like to your car, but leave that poor cousin alone :)

i have been using ma car for like 4 years...still no problem! and its a semi- automatic...like the one in this link

http://exchange.goo-net.com/usedcars/spread/700070558020110313007.html

and i dont think everything have to be done the way its said in wikipedia!!

anyway i have tried this in ma cousins corolla 110 ( normal automatic) as well

What you drive a Ferrari or lambo with the flappy paddle gearbox ? :rolleyes:

normal cars dont have Semi-automatic transmission they only come in performance cars, what your car has is a Manumatic transmission

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_transmission

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manumatic

Either way i got a question, if your car has an manual mode then why would you change to "2" position while overtaking ? you could just shift down gears from the M +/- mode cant you ?

BTW the car in the link you posted doesnt have a manumatic transmission its just a normal A/T. :action-smiley-060:

0705580A20110313W00713.jpg

This is what a manumatic looks like

4189757514_0e631ae746.jpg

Listen man its apparent you dont know squat about what you are talking about so why dont you spare us the time wasted replying to your stupid theories :action-smiley-060:

• Like 1

A big +1 :) Quite apparent from most of his posts

When one retires another one pops up out of nowhere to fill in the shoes, they just keep on coming :rolleyes:

When one retires another one pops up out of nowhere to fill in the shoes, they just keep on coming :rolleyes:

Yup, and that just makes the whole forum go down :( The old days were so much better, was reading through the forum a long time before joining. Endless supply of entertainment anyhow, though it gets tiring after some time :)

in plus side we have endless supply of entertainment here :D

What the manufacturer intended it for, and what people use it for, are not necessarily the same thing...!

I was travelling in an X-Trail from Colombo to Badulla sometime back and the driver kept switching to 2 to overtake.

There is something called kick down in auto vehicles for overtaking,

what that means is when you press the accelerator to the maximum level or when you suddenly accelerate gear will be changed to lower gear (if you were on 4th it will got to 3rd etc) when overtaking that is the normal way to get more power under normal driving conditions :-)

Listening to and reading comments from a somebody who obviously need to learn the basics is not entertaining. I for one am pissed off for the time wasted reading rubbish. I have made a mental note to skip over such comments.

See, I don't know a lot about automatic transmissions, never having owned or driven one regularly in my life. But I don't kid myself thinking that I know enough about something to comment. I think that itself could be considered more intelligent than blabbering rubbish with no basis or understanding !

• Like 1

Yup, and that just makes the whole forum go down :( The old days were so much better, was reading through the forum a long time before joining. Endless supply of entertainment anyhow, though it gets tiring after some time :)

There is something called kick down in auto vehicles for overtaking,

what that means is when you press the accelerator to the maximum level or when you suddenly accelerate gear will be changed to lower gear (if you were on 4th it will got to 3rd etc) when overtaking that is the normal way to get more power under normal driving conditions :-)

@ Sisira- thats true bro, unfortunately some people try to drive auto's as if they were manual, there lies the problem :alc:

@ Blu3haze & nexus- yep me too was reading the posts on my phone long time before i joined. Ahhh those were the days i specifically remember ripper and vvti going at slyvi (and the other guy with a lion sig,cant remeber his name) all guns blazing :lol:

Listening to and reading comments from a somebody who obviously need to learn the basics is not entertaining. I for one am pissed off for the time wasted reading rubbish. I have made a mental note to skip over such comments.

See, I don't know a lot about automatic transmissions, never having owned or driven one regularly in my life. But I don't kid myself thinking that I know enough about something to comment. I think that itself could be considered more intelligent than blabbering rubbish with no basis or understanding !

:huh: sorry if i say anything wrong The Don

What you drive a Ferrari or lambo with the flappy paddle gearbox ? :rolleyes:

normal cars dont have Semi-automatic transmission they only come in performance cars, what your car has is a Manumatic transmission

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_transmission

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manumatic

Either way i got a question, if your car has an manual mode then why would you change to "2" position while overtaking ? you could just shift down gears from the M +/- mode cant you ?

BTW the car in the link you posted doesnt have a manumatic transmission its just a normal A/T. :action-smiley-060:

0705580A20110313W00713.jpg

This is what a manumatic looks like

4189757514_0e631ae746.jpg

Listen man its apparent you dont know squat about what you are talking about so why dont you spare us the time wasted replying to your stupid theories :action-smiley-060:

its my car i'l drive it any way i want....you got a problem with that?

I dont care even if you drive with the gear lever up your ass, but when you give wrong information and mislead others i do have a problem :violent-smiley-026:

Why is it I get this feeling its your parents car?

And you can't drive it the way you want. There are these things called road rules you are supposed to follow.

• Like 3

Why is it I get this feeling its your parents car?

And you can't drive it the way you want. There are these things called road rules you are supposed to follow.

:D may be you could've added "little bit of common sense" to the list of 'things'

Edited by harshansenadhir

I dont care even if you drive with the gear lever up your ass, but when you give wrong information and mislead others i do have a problem :violent-smiley-026:

some say he just can't get it. if someone said about it he tear his hair out of his head all we know is he is rockerz. :P

• Like 2