• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A/t Or M/t Tyres In Sl

flyboy320

Guys, what are the brands available in SL for all terrain or mud terrain tires , other than well known BFG or Dunlop , im in need of a quick tire change and the BFG and Dunlop are little tight on the wallet right now. any info on this and the prices are really appreciated.

cheers

• 8 months later...

Guys , I need to get 4 tyres ( Size 235x70R16 H/T ) and here are the nominees....

a) Maxxis Rs 18,500/= ( Proven 4x4 tyre )

B) Cooper Rs 18,900/= ( US but not much prominence in 4x4, since I think Micky Thompson is a subsidiary )

c) Archilies Rs 15,400/= ( Indonesian brand, quite new , good thread pattern )

Key criteria is the price ( as you can see I have not considered the big brands which are all over Rs 20k ). Let me have your views and recommendations please.

One more thing... Is it better to go for H/T or A/T ? I am assuming when they say highway there mean like super fast highways where you will be going at speed of around 100Km/hr , so there will be lot of issue on noise, vibration etc... But for Colombo running, which comprises of starts and stops and hardly reaching high speeds with the occasional bad road would a A/T be better option as there is more grip ?

Guys , I need to get 4 tyres ( Size 235x70R16 H/T ) and here are the nominees....

a) Maxxis Rs 18,500/= ( Proven 4x4 tyre )

B) Cooper Rs 18,900/= ( US but not much prominence in 4x4, since I think Micky Thompson is a subsidiary )

c) Archilies Rs 15,400/= ( Indonesian brand, quite new , good thread pattern )

Key criteria is the price ( as you can see I have not considered the big brands which are all over Rs 20k ). Let me have your views and recommendations please.

One more thing... Is it better to go for H/T or A/T ? I am assuming when they say highway there mean like super fast highways where you will be going at speed of around 100Km/hr , so there will be lot of issue on noise, vibration etc... But for Colombo running, which comprises of starts and stops and hardly reaching high speeds with the occasional bad road would a A/T be better option as there is more grip ?

A/T would be a better choice as it will give a bit of both worlds (On Road and Off Road). And depending on the amount of driving you anticipate on either type of road, you can go for a On Road biased A/T or a Off Road biased A/T or 50-50 type.

No idea about Achilles, but Cooper and Maxxis are good with a better ride quality than GT-Adventuro in my experience.

Edited by LS110

How that come about? And does this setup cause more tyre noise / vibration than usual?

wear was such that i had to replace the rear set sooner than the front. Went for Maxxis at the time. After couple of months later when i had to replace the other two, i couldn't find Maxxis close to home. So went for GT's.

Since it's a truck, vibration, noise etc are all part of the package :) It's tough to notice minor differences on a loud diesel double cab :D

I'm doing an audio upgrade these days, diy of course, and maybe after that will get some dynamat or similar and soundproof the cabin. Hopefully then these minor changes can be picked up...

Thanks guys.... Will opt for a A/T.

Well I just come across another tyre ( right down the food chain ) but its only Rs 14,700/= called KENDA , its made in Taiwan and from search on the net it looks a good deal. Now its either Maxxis for 18.5k or KENDA for 14.7k.....

Think will go with Maxxis, but will try to squeeze a few more KMs out of the old tyres till Jan, too many expenses in December.....

• 1 month later...

Thought ill bump this thread up since im in the market for tyres. Anyone using 31x10.50x15 AT tyres or recently been looking into it any info would be helpful which tyres and cost and location. I been calling up few usual places best bang for buck seems Maxis at about 21K. Goodyear was arnd 26.5K and yokohama for 25.4K. Did find the chinese nankang for 17K but not sure on how long it will last.

Hi YALA,

I finally ended up getting a set of Maxxis H/T from a shop in Wadduwa ( 235/70R16) , cost me only Rs 17k per tyre, which was pretty low compared to Colombo prices. It was around Rs 1,500/= cheaper, so it was worth the trip. If you want I can pm you the name of the shop.

I could not locate A/T for that size so had to go for H/T. Although the A/T looks much nice, just evaluate the number of times you would actually be driving " Off Road ". My guess is 95% or more of the time it will be on a tared road, also the A/T may wear faster on the tarmac than a H/T, just something for u to think about...