• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mileage & Digital Meters

Gyiman

What I can't beleive is my car odometer was only 15000 km, when I imported it on last October.All the so called documents confirm the milage. It was built in 2007 Oct and has done only 15000 km for 3 years.

I have done 11000 km for last 5 months. :D:D

Very possible mate, my Aunts Terios is a 2008 model (Bought in 2008 august) and has done only 16thousand odd km's.. Living in colombo helps her keep it down I suppose, and I have another uncle also living in colombo with a 2002 Corolla which has done only 40thousand something.. so yeah.. running is different to different people. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thats right,

I have seen this on BMW's & once the mileage is corrected & when the system is rebooted the cars on board computer scans for any discrepancy & it will recognise that something is wrong.The result will be a red light in the dash & who ever wants to buy the car will be instantly put off as they will know stright away that the motor is dodgy.

Jerome

I have just got my hands on a new BMW smart key programmer & my main investment is my tools. Although ODO correction is not my line of business I have seen this done many times & there are many guys who advertise this servise on ebay UK. The fine line between illegal & may be O.k is Mileage correction as to Mileage alteration. Mileage alteration is Unlawful as to correction. There have been instances in my garage in UK where the car battery is totally flat & you try to jump it with another battery & alas!!! the digital dash may go a bit wonky. Correcting this fault is legal. But you must make sure when you sell the vehicle to disclose this to the new buyer as if the buyer finds this out without you informing them YOU WILL END UP IN THE SHED.

Some makes of cars can use a clip on connector on the EEPROM chip or some may need to remove the chip & reprogrammed & resloderd.And yes, as rightfully quoted Sylvi Wijesinghe by examining the removed odometer from the car any meter adjuster can inform the owner if it had been tempered or not.

So dont bother trying to tamper with your meter as it is illegal.

I have just got my hands on a new BMW smart key programmer & my main investment is my tools. Although ODO correction is not my line of business I have seen this done many times & there are many guys who advertise this servise on ebay UK. The fine line between illegal & may be O.k is Mileage correction as to Mileage alteration. Mileage alteration is Unlawful as to correction. There have been instances in my garage in UK where the car battery is totally flat & you try to jump it with another battery & alas!!! the digital dash may go a bit wonky. Correcting this fault is legal. But you must make sure when you sell the vehicle to disclose this to the new buyer as if the buyer finds this out without you informing them YOU WILL END UP IN THE SHED.

So dont bother trying to tamper with your meter as it is illegal.

You do realize this is not the U.K and this is Sri Lanka right? Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we have a law that deals with changing the odo mileage. Also if we even had a law if wouldn'tbe enforcable unless we had some sort of system like other countries which keep track of the mileage and will spot any irregularities.

Members,

Changing the mileage of used Vehicles had been going on for more than 10 years by some used car importers it is very difficult to stop this in Srilanka. Best thing to get certified the mileage by appointed authority before shipment or request the mileage certificate from the used car dealer.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

Changing the mileage of used Vehicles had been going on for more than 10 years by some used car importers it is very difficult to stop this in Srilanka. Best thing to get certified the mileage by appointed authority before shipment or request the mileage certificate from the used car dealer.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

really? it has been going on for 10 years? I thought they only started doing this like yesterday....