• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

90 Octane On Prado Trj150

Kulunu

Guys,

We got a b/n Prado with 1GR-FE (4000cc gasoline).Owner's manual suggest to use 95 octane gasoline on this engine.

What would be the implication if we pump 90 octane instead of 95 octane?

thank you.

Like if you go outstation and you get low on fuel? Does the manual suggest only or require 95? Haven't seen octane related problems other than in GDI engines where a check engine error comes up. Otherwise usually the timing is retarded as the engine may start knocking.

Btw, you meant for a GRJ150?

I want to know what would happen if we pump 90 octane in an emergency situation.

Any way full tank can run 800+ . So not much worries.

What exactly would be an emergency situation ? run out of pocket money ? :huh:

There are a number of things that can happen

1) Reduced acceleration

2) Engine would start knocking

3) worst case scenario would cause a puncture in a piston or rupture of the combustion chamber

I dont think that one can possibly run out of fuel with a full tank of petrol in a small country like SL, always pump full tank before you go on a long journey

And if i were you i wouldn't try my luck with 90 oct :rolleyes:

• Like 1

There are a number of things that can happen

1) Reduced acceleration

2) Engine would start knocking

3) worst case scenario would cause a puncture in a piston or rupture of the combustion chamber

That sums it up more or less. Number 3 being the worst case scenario. Once in a while it will be ok, all you will see is a low performance and high fuel consumption. But running 90 with a full load and hard running will eventually take its toll.

Like someone said, always keep tank full. But then, many main towns have 95. I was in Trinco and Batti last 5 days and my Alfa takes 95 only and I had no issues. Alfa being a 3 litre V6, I had many many fuel stops... :)

Guys,

We got a b/n Prado with 1GR-FE (4000cc gasoline).Owner's manual suggest to use 95 octane gasoline on this engine.

What would be the implication if we pump 90 octane instead of 95 octane?

thank you.

Congrats!

Haven't had any issues pumping 90 into a 2GR-FSE which is also Dual VVT and a Rav 4 (2001 model) which is running with a D4 engine. You don't feel the loss of smoothness as you would in say most 3 Cylinder units (i.e. Viva). We do run the occasional Fuel System Clean up though.

I think the knocks are felt more in the GDi units in Mitsubishi vehicles (The Check Engine Light Experience!!!)

Pump 95 whenever you can but don't worry about pumping 90 when you have to. Make sure you change the lubricants on time. That's what mucks up the VVTi and DVVTi engines more than pumping 90.