• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrid Cars

ThilakR

Dear Friends,

I am looking for a Hybrid car. But I have few questions in my mind and thought of sharing with you and get an expert advice. Although a hybrid vehicle gets great gas mileage, some replacement parts are prohibitively expensive. For instance, hybrid batteries are very costly to replace. They're one of those items that you don't want to have to buy unless absolutely necessary. But most of the cars we found here are used cars. Used the battery for some time and then park months in vehicle yards. Therefore we never know we could use the battery for next 100,000KMs. If I find my new hybrid needs the battery replace within couple of months, I'll need to open up my empty wallet. :lol: Therefore could anyone advice what I should check to verify the condition of the battery and other important areas before buy the car.

Thanks

Thilak

Edited by ThilakR

Dear Friends,

I am looking for a Hybrid car. But I have few questions in my mind and thought of sharing with you and get an expert advice. Although a hybrid vehicle gets great gas mileage, some replacement parts are prohibitively expensive. For instance, hybrid batteries are very costly to replace. They're one of those items that you don't want to have to buy unless absolutely necessary. But most of the cars we found here are used cars. Used the battery for some time and then park months in vehicle yards. Therefore we never know we could use the battery for next 100,000KMs. If I find my new hybrid needs the battery replace within couple of months, I'll need to open up my empty wallet. :lol: Therefore could anyone advice what I should check to verify the condition of the battery and other important areas before buy the car.

Thanks

Thilak

I believe this topic has been discussed quite a few times in the forum. A search on the forum will give you all the information necessary.

Let me just say this - about 25 years ago, the influx of front wheel drive cars came to Sri Lanka. People said the same kinda things. And then in early 90s, when Auto transmission vehicles started coming in by the hordes, people said the same things about Auto vehicles. At first, things will be expensive and expertise will be low. But eventually, parts will become cheaper and expertise will build up.

I don't know if anyone in Sri Lanka has equipment to test hybrid batteries and stuff (Toyota and Honda agents surely don't). Personally I wouldn't jump in to the hybrid bandwagon right now but I will probably do it in a couple of years' time.

• Like 1

I believe this topic has been discussed quite a few times in the forum. A search on the forum will give you all the information necessary.

Let me just say this - about 25 years ago, the influx of front wheel drive cars came to Sri Lanka. People said the same kinda things. And then in early 90s, when Auto transmission vehicles started coming in by the hordes, people said the same things about Auto vehicles. At first, things will be expensive and expertise will be low. But eventually, parts will become cheaper and expertise will build up.

I don't know if anyone in Sri Lanka has equipment to test hybrid batteries and stuff (Toyota and Honda agents surely don't). Personally I wouldn't jump in to the hybrid bandwagon right now but I will probably do it in a couple of years' time.

Don't know what will happend to the tax in next couple of years :huh:

Thilak

finally someone says something positive about hybrids...rather than just criticizing them! :)

Dear Friends,

Thanks

Thilak

Do a search on AL before starting a new thread to ask a question. Starting a new thread to ask the same question that been asked before clutters up the forum with unnecessary new threads and the same questions. Questions that have been asked and answered many times before on other threads.

If you did a search by typing in, say, "hybrid battery life" in the search box, you will find this thread where your question has been answered and discussed to death.

IMHO, there isn't a need to worry about the life of a hybrid battery . Generally speaking (of course there have been exceptions), the hybrid batteries will last the life of the car even if has been sitting in a yard for a few months. Remember hybrids have been on the road for 14 years now. This is no longer new and unproven technology.

People are afraid sometimes because they don't have knowledge so they imagine all the negative things that might happen.

I refer you to this news story as one example of hybrid battery life....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toyota Prius With 331,000kms Delivers Identical Fuel Economy Ten Years Later

Consumer Reports decided to try and objectively measure what a Prius can deliver even after 10 years and 206,000 miles (3310000km), using a 2001 model they previously tested as a baseline. The results were nearly identical, with a couple tenths here or there to be added or subtracted. This suggests that the battery is also in good shape even after 10 years. It’s also worth noting that the shocks and powertrain components are all original, which suggests that running costs are fairly low.

link http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/02/toyota-prius-with-200000-miles-delivers-identical-fuel-economy-ten-years-later.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you're so worried about the battery, you might want to look into a car with a warranty on the battery to ease your mind. The factory warranty is often around 10 years/160,0000kms.

Dear Friends,

Thanks

Thilak

Mate, let me explain you this as i have also changed to a hybrid recently...first of all i should say the fuel figures published in the internet for hybrids are not realistic for Sri Lanka..I use Toyota Prius 2008 March model and it does average 24 km per liter...regarding the battery i was having a same doubt as you when i bought it...I went one day for a service to Auto World at Kurunegala which is the Toyota dealer...I saw a hybrid there and asked about it...surprisingly that was a 2002 model of prius..and still the battery is working at it's best..and that was imported for the use of toyota lanka..as crosswind said it's just a mere fear that everybody has when something new introduced to the market..i know that i bought this with a risk...but it's not my way to wait and see how others are working on that..i tried it myself and pretty satisfied with the choice... :rolleyes:

Mate, let me explain you this as i have also changed to a hybrid recently...first of all i should say the fuel figures published in the internet for hybrids are not realistic for Sri Lanka..I use Toyota Prius 2008 March model and it does average 24 km per liter...regarding the battery i was having a same doubt as you when i bought it...I went one day for a service to Auto World at Kurunegala which is the Toyota dealer...I saw a hybrid there and asked about it...surprisingly that was a 2002 model of prius..and still the battery is working at it's best..and that was imported for the use of toyota lanka..as crosswind said it's just a mere fear that everybody has when something new introduced to the market..i know that i bought this with a risk...but it's not my way to wait and see how others are working on that..i tried it myself and pretty satisfied with the choice... :rolleyes:

Interesting.

The 24km/liter fuel economy you are getting with your 2008 Prius in Sri Lanka is right in between the results of the U.S. and European test cycles.

2008 Prius Japanese test cycle: 29km/liter

2008 Prius European test cycle: 28km/liter

2008 Prius US test cycle: 20km/liter

If you can do the 'hypermiling' hybrid vehicle driving technique (difficult to do in Sri Lanka) you should be able to increase your fuel economy even more

Do a search on AL before starting a new thread to ask a question. Starting a new thread to ask the same question that been asked before clutters up the forum with unnecessary new threads and the same questions. Questions that have been asked and answered many times before on other threads.

If you did a search by typing in, say, "hybrid battery life" in the search box, you will find this thread where your question has been answered and discussed to death.

IMHO, there isn't a need to worry about the life of a hybrid battery . Generally speaking (of course there have been exceptions), the hybrid batteries will last the life of the car even if has been sitting in a yard for a few months. Remember hybrids have been on the road for 14 years now. This is no longer new and unproven technology.

People are afraid sometimes because they don't have knowledge so they imagine all the negative things that might happen.

I refer you to this news story as one example of hybrid battery life....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toyota Prius With 331,000kms Delivers Identical Fuel Economy Ten Years Later

Consumer Reports decided to try and objectively measure what a Prius can deliver even after 10 years and 206,000 miles (3310000km), using a 2001 model they previously tested as a baseline. The results were nearly identical, with a couple tenths here or there to be added or subtracted. This suggests that the battery is also in good shape even after 10 years. It’s also worth noting that the shocks and powertrain components are all original, which suggests that running costs are fairly low.

link http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/02/toyota-prius-with-200000-miles-delivers-identical-fuel-economy-ten-years-later.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if you're so worried about the battery, you might want to look into a car with a warranty on the battery to ease your mind. The factory warranty is often around 10 years/160,0000kms.

Hi.. thanks For the valuable information mate. Sorry if I repeat an old thread.

Thilak

Interesting.

The 24km/liter fuel economy you are getting with your 2008 Prius in Sri Lanka is right in between the results of the U.S. and European test cycles.

2008 Prius Japanese test cycle: 29km/liter

2008 Prius European test cycle: 28km/liter

2008 Prius US test cycle: 20km/liter

If you can do the 'hypermiling' hybrid vehicle driving technique (difficult to do in Sri Lanka) you should be able to increase your fuel economy even more

interesting figures mate,..I have noticed from one of my friend's prius that it does only 19 km per litter,when he drives and when his wife drives 22 km per litter..i think the driving habits affects to the fuel consumption considerably...same thing for me also...it's my wife who's driving the car mostly, and she gets 24 km ,and when i drive i get only 19 km to 20 maximum...though i'm not a toyota fan..i have no major complaints against toyotas..in fact the drving experience with prius is dull and can't compare these japanes econoboxes with european brands...but i'm a fan of GM cars and still dreaming of owning a Cadillac CTS..don't know if possible to import one to here.. :unsure:

Hi Many thanks for sharing your experience. My doubts are now clearing a little.

What do you think the better option between Toyota and Honda Hybrids?

Regards

Thilak

Hi Many thanks for sharing your experience. My doubts are now clearing a little.

Regards

Thilak

I would generally say Toyota is the better option. Their hybrid system is a "full hybrid" (can run on electric power alone and thus can give a little better fuel economy) while Honda uses a "mild hybrid" system that assists the petrol engine.

It also depends what years and models you are looking at. If you pit the 2010 Prius vs 2010 Insight, the Prius is the better (and more expensive) car. But the 2010 Insight vs 2009 Prius (previous model), its much closer.

• Like 1

Regards

Thilak

I was also considering the better option between Prius and Insight...why i chose Prius instead of Insight because of following reasons,

01.Prius is a full hybrid car whereas Insight is not.

02.Prius is having more space inside (Better Leg space and Better head space ) than Insight.

03.As i have test driven both cars..Prius is having a more comfortable drive than Insight (But honestly Insight is more fun to drive than Prius though it's not very comfortable as Prius)

04.Interior is very professional in prius whereas Insight is having more sporty looking dash board and interior..

But i should say Honda Insight is very cool in design than Prius..but overall I prefer prius as it's better in all the above aspects and better performance than Insight

• Like 1

I was also considering the better option between Prius and Insight...why i chose Prius instead of Insight because of following reasons,

01.Prius is a full hybrid car whereas Insight is not.

02.Prius is having more space inside (Better Leg space and Better head space ) than Insight.

03.As i have test driven both cars..Prius is having a more comfortable drive than Insight (But honestly Insight is more fun to drive than Prius though it's not very comfortable as Prius)

04.Interior is very professional in prius whereas Insight is having more sporty looking dash board and interior..

But i should say Honda Insight is very cool in design than Prius..but overall I prefer prius as it's better in all the above aspects and better performance than Insight

Err, say what? The interior is more professional?? How I wonder would you even define that....

do hybrid vehicle need special type of foam when servicing the car.can do it in normal service station?Is it expensive?

A special type of foam? What would you need foam for may I ask?

WHERE do you people come up with these questions?!

Err, say what? The interior is more professional?? How I wonder would you even define that....

It's the feel mate..when you are in inside a prius, you won't feel sporty or fun feeling..(I'm not talking about driving feeling)...when you see the interior specially the dash board of Insight it's a elegant sporty design where as prius as simplified but yet more professional looking dash board and interior...

The interior is surprisingly roomy, both in terms of storage capacity (the back seats flip down in a convenient 60/40 split), front seat head space, and rear seat leg room. In fact, the back seats are some of the most comfortable ones out there. Despite all this interior space, the Prius will fit nicely into compact city parking spaces...I think the explanation is clear enough for you...

do hybrid vehicle need special type of foam when servicing the car.can do it in normal service station?Is it expensive?

I don't know what do you mean by foam...If you are talking about the body service and interior vacuum..It can be done from a normal service station..but If you do a engine cleanup then yes..you will have to do it with TOYOTA authorized agents..as they are already well aware of that...

It's the feel mate..when you are in inside a prius, you won't feel sporty or fun feeling..(I'm not talking about driving feeling)...when you see the interior specially the dash board of Insight it's a elegant sporty design where as prius as simplified but yet more professional looking dash board and interior...

The interior is surprisingly roomy, both in terms of storage capacity (the back seats flip down in a convenient 60/40 split), front seat head space, and rear seat leg room. In fact, the back seats are some of the most comfortable ones out there. Despite all this interior space, the Prius will fit nicely into compact city parking spaces...I think the explanation is clear enough for you...

Lol.. ah right. "Professional looking"... Thats something I havent heard before with regard to car interiors. Yet another wondrous innovation incorporated into the Hybrids.

As for the back seats, if you honestly think that they are "some of the most comfortable out there" then clearly you haven't sat in very many comfortable back seats. I've been in the back of a Prius and it really isn't any more special than the average jap box. But I guess since its a Hybrid and all it must have some extra special feature that makes it ultra comfortable to those who rush and buy them.

Your post kinda sounds like a press release, by the way...

Edited by Supra_Natural
  • Like 1

Lol.. ah right. "Professional looking"... Thats something I havent heard before with regard to car interiors. Yet another wondrous innovation incorporated into the Hybrids.

As for the back seats, if you honestly think that they are "some of the most comfortable out there" then clearly you haven't sat very many comfortable back seats. I've been in the back of a Prius and it really isn't any more special than the average jap box. But I guess since its a Hybrid and all it must have some extra special feature that makes it ultra comfortable to those who rush and buy them.

Don't misunderstand mate..I'm talking about Jap Econoboxes

As for the back seats, if you honestly think that they are "some of the most comfortable out there" then clearly you haven't sat very many comfortable back seats. I've been in the back of a Prius and it really isn't any more special than the average jap box. But I guess since its a Hybrid and all it must have some extra special feature that makes it ultra comfortable to those who rush and buy them.

If i talk about Euro or US cars..the most comfortable i have driven and sat with was Cadillac CTS..which i drive when i visit my uncle at Taiwan....

• Like 1

Yup, this definitely does sound straight outta a brochure. Folding back seats with 60/40 splits aren't such a standout feature that it needs special mention, its kinda standard. My 1980s California had them. I'll reserve judgement until I've sat in one, but historically, Toyota doesn't have the most comfortable seats on its econoboxes. Even Madz' Luxel had uncomfortable seats (for a long journey), which is odd in a car that is a "Luxury version", and has Toyota's traditional soft suspension and steering!

And please don't try modify that by saying "in a hybrid jap econobox"

Btw, what's the insurance premium on a hybird? A friend told me it's as high as 200k!

I think the information you have got is wrong..My one is Prius 2008 model and i did the insurance from SL I******* with a special cover for the battery for Rs 79,900/=...It cannot be as high as 200k :unsure:

Edited by AbeysinghE

I think the information you have got is wrong..My one is Prius 2008 model and i did the insurance from SL I******* with a special cover for the battery for Rs 79,900/=...It cannot be as high as 200k :unsure:

Dunno man, from what I was told, it was 200k for a Prius and 160k for a Insight. Insane figures, if accurate.