• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

A Message To "some" Hybrid Drivers

k9master

First of all I'm not starting this topic to label all hybrid drivers in to one jar. Just sharing a few experiences I had and to pass out a message to those who fit the below description.

A few quotes of enlightenment from the famous "Toyota Prius" thread...

yes if you drive below 30 KMH..the main engine turn off automatically and it run from the hybrid system..if the battery is good enough,even A/C is possible.. :rolleyes:

This why I have seen Prius guys are driving very slowly in clear roads. I have seen this when going home at night going at snail phase.

And now to commence...

Dear Prius Drivers,

Wish to kindly share with you a few of my Avurudu Motoring Experiences.

Experiecne 1: 12.04.2011, Past Midnight, Colombo - Kandy Road, Near Kegalle

Was doing about 60kmh (being careful of hungry cops), and saw at a distance a pair of tail lights, which rapidly took form of a white 2G Prius doing about 30kmh or less.

It was an almost empty road, So buddy, you stick to your driving, I'll stick to mine and past him in a swish... No Problem there...

Exp 2: 15.04.2011, Around 10PM, Kandy Lake round

Again was doing about 60 on an empty road when came across a string of vehicles going slow (for those who don't know it's kind of difficult to overtake in the lake round) and i thought, hmmm... must be stuck behind a late night bus. Then the queue slowly cleared out and i also managed to overtake a few to come across again a Prius...

Exp 3: 16.04.2011, afternoon, Kandy - Digana road, near "Gam udawa" going towards Kandy

Doing about 40km with a lot of on coming traffic in a rainy condition, guess where I ended up... agian in the tail of a Prius... Flashed the head lamps, honked lightly but the guys was never willing to damage the environment even a with bit of CO2 (I guess he even breathes lightly) so had to wait forever to go past him to do some decent speed.

Assumptions:

1. Prius is not taking the place of Axios or 141s, its taking the role of those old grand pas in B11s :action-smiley-060:

2. Prius motto... "As long as I drive economically, I don't hell care if others are miserable or not..." :angry:

On a serious note:

Prius drivers, please be aware that some of us don't have much of fun driving at 30kmh, nor our cars are very economical /green at 30kmh, so please don't be this selfish, and do a bit of sensible driving... for gods sake you do have a 1500cc engine which are common with most of us as well

Thank You,

Yours Faithfully,

A Driving Enthusiast

• Like 5

hm...i too had one prius chap doing the same...

but i've had lot more road hoggers especially on smaller cars like marutis in the past so it's a tad too early bring out the guns on prius drivers.

I think as much as coppers love to catch speedsters...they should equally catch road hoggers... a few morons who don't know how to use lanes properly and give way to people who want to travel faster than their lame ass speed of 10kmh

• Like 1

lol... had the same experience when travelling to matara. and most of the drivers are busy keeping their eyes on the km/l indicator on dash... :violent-smiley-099:

its vey sad that even moris minors go past them lol

if you ask me k9master you have a very bad week with prius i guess we all have to get use to it in near future they are will be lot more hybrid on the road than now. :angry:

@ K9master,

Ok..since you have quoted one of my answers given to some one who asked whether it can be driven totally from hybrid system, i would like to explain this to you..honestly i haven't met any of those kind of prius drivers..and I'm a person who drives at average speed of 70 to 80 kmph..I live in kurunegala and haven't seen much of prius here like kandy and colombo..I'm not a hybrid lover..only the two reasons i bought a prius are ..Fuel efficiency (I'm doing average 120 km per day most probably (Kurunegala dambulla kurunegala) when i'm in Sri Lanka..so prius is the most economical option for me..and space is enough for my family..the second reason is my wife wanted to try a prius too..I'm not rich enough to have two cars for my enthusiasm and for wife's preference..so naturally i opted to a prius..Frankly telling you all dudes..some axio, and allion drivers always wanted to have a challenge on me while i was driving to see how prius performs..I have never ever allowed them to pass me at any circumstances unless i had to stop somewhere..I have done maximum 123 kmph on A9 road from Malate to Dambulla ...so those 30 kmph ..thing is not applicable to all prius drivers..so your "some" hybrid drivers quote is may be applicable to those stupid drivers who try to save the fuel by going at 30 kmph... :D

• Like 4

@ K9master,

Ok..since you have quoted one of my answers given to some one who asked whether it can be driven totally from hybrid system, i would like to explain this to you..honestly i haven't met any of those kind of prius drivers..and I'm a person who drives at average speed of 70 to 80 kmph..I live in kurunegala and haven't seen much of prius here like kandy and colombo..I'm not a hybrid lover..only the two reasons i bought a prius are ..Fuel efficiency (I'm doing average 120 km per day most probably (Kurunegala dambulla kurunegala) when i'm in Sri Lanka..so prius is the most economical option for me..and space is enough for my family..the second reason is my wife wanted to try a prius too..I'm not rich enough to have two cars for my enthusiasm and for wife's preference..so naturally i opted to a prius..Frankly telling you all dudes..some axio, and allion drivers always wanted to have a challenge on me while i was driving to see how prius performs..I have never ever allowed them to pass me at any circumstances unless i had to stop somewhere..I have done maximum 123 kmph on A9 road from Malate to Dambulla ...so those 30 kmph ..thing is not applicable to all prius drivers..so your "some" hybrid drivers quote is may be applicable to those stupid drivers who try to save the fuel by going at 30 kmph... :D

Hi AbesinghE,

I did't at all mean that you drive like this. Using a Prius, you were the only one who clearly explained, in the previous thread, the driving modes of a Prius and the 30kmh limit for the engine to kick in. Thats the only reason why I quoted you.

Batteries was the 1st one, AFAIK, who questioned this new driving habbit of going 30kmh or less. So I quoted him as well.

Thought of replying to the same "Toyota Prius" thread, but wanted to start a new topic so I could give a stronger message. I was really frustrated man. To be honest had a few bad experiences with Prius on the way back to colombo as well. But since there was a lot of traffic it got swallowed in the general frustration.

Didn't mean to attack and let down all Prius drivers. Just noticed from the above experiences and a few others that there could be a trend building up on Prius lane hogging.

if you ask me k9master you have a very bad week with prius i guess we all have to get use to it in near future they are will be lot more hybrid on the road than now. :angry:

Ya Man, tell me about it...

First of all I thought this is too ridiculous to believe that Prius drivers are doing this. But based on what I faced and what others have commented on, I've been forced to believe that there's a foolish and selfish lot who's blinded by economy and misconceptions thinking that if they do 30kmh forever, they can prevent that engine from starting at all...

wont the Batteries die faster if you use them all the time?

The software controlling the hybrid drive is very sophisticated and programmed to protect the battery. The hybrid system is continually 'juggling' the petrol engine, electric motor and battery to (1) preserve the battery and (2) maximize fuel mileage. So even though the information display may show the battery charge to be 'low', the battery is in reality never anywhere close to full depletion. A certain amount of charge is always maintained in the battery to preserve its long life.

If the car is running on electric power, when the battery charge goes below a certain level the petrol engine comes on. This can happen at at any speed depending on the conditions and always above 65kmh (not the 30kmh often quoted). Max electric running before the petrol engine kicks in is 1.5km for the 3rd gen Prius, even less for the 2nd gen.

• Like 1

Hi AbesinghE,

I did't at all mean that you drive like this. Using a Prius, you were the only one who clearly explained, in the previous thread, the driving modes of a Prius and the 30kmh limit for the engine to kick in. Thats the only reason why I quoted you.

Batteries was the 1st one, AFAIK, who questioned this new driving habbit of going 30kmh or less. So I quoted him as well.

Thought of replying to the same "Toyota Prius" thread, but wanted to start a new topic so I could give a stronger message. I was really frustrated man. To be honest had a few bad experiences with Prius on the way back to colombo as well. But since there was a lot of traffic it got swallowed in the general frustration.

Didn't mean to attack and let down all Prius drivers. Just noticed from the above experiences and a few others that there could be a trend building up on Prius lane hogging.

Yes mate..even i didn't meant that you told that to me... :rolleyes: just made a explanation coz you have quoted something i have written.. :rolleyes: If you have had a very bad experience with prius drivers..those drivers are ridiculous coz prius is not designed to go slowly..it's designed specially for highway driving..and performs reasonably well even in the mountains..I also can't understand why some drivers behaving like that..is that they think so much on the green environment? or is it the greediness for money?..when i drive fuel figures counter says that it's 18-19 km/L :lol: ,when my wife drives it's mostly upto 24 km/L..but she's also drives an average speed of 60 kmph..the only difference between us is .If somebody pass me if it's a vehicle in the same range of engine i will definitely pass that..and there will be a driving battle for some time, whereas my wife ignores those passing ones..that might be difference for the fuel figures..anyway machan if somebody drives at 30 kmph thats lunatic.. :D

Edited by AbeysinghE

How to drive a Prius for maximum fuel economy (by a Toyota Agent)>> http://www.kbtoyota.com/priusmileage.html

Read the article and OMG... If they start practicing these hypermiling techniques here, we will not be able to go anywhere... All of them will have their eyes on the economy meter and the energy display all the time and fully concentrate on how lightly they can press the accelerator so the roads will not be that safe either... Not that we'll be having many fatal crashes at 30kmh

Anyway, I don't think that the Prius drivers have studies this hypermiling business to go slow as we observed. Probably a bloke in the Car Sale had asked them to do so and blindly following...

Or when they went back to the Sale to ask why isn’t it doing 50km/l the guys must have asked them to always drive at 30...

Read the article and OMG... If they start practicing these hypermiling techniques here, we will not be able to go anywhere... All of them will have their eyes on the economy meter and the energy display all the time and fully concentrate on how lightly they can press the accelerator so the roads will not be that safe either... Not that we'll be having many fatal crashes at 30kmh

Anyway, I don't think that the Prius drivers have studies this hypermiling business to go slow as we observed. Probably a bloke in the Car Sale had asked them to do so and blindly following...

Or when they went back to the Sale to ask why isn’t it doing 50km/l the guys must have asked them to always drive at 30...

I read the article too.what an unrealistic article. :unsure:

Edited by AbeysinghE

Advanced Techniques

The Pulse and Glide technique, which has allowed some drivers to achieve exceptional mileage, is ideal for roads that allow 30 – 40 mph unobstructed driving. Pulse and Glide will be more difficult in any road conditions with busy traffic or numerous traffic signals.

Accelerate moderately (not babying accelerator, but not gunning it) to 40 mph.

Then ease off the accelerator. Then, ever so slightly press down on the accelerator again and hold the pedal in that position.

Glide (engine on but not turning over and transmission in neutral). At this point, the energy screen should not have arrows going in any direction. This state has been referred to as "dead band." If you press too much, repeat the process of easing up and pressing down again until you find the right spot. At this point, you are coasting without any energy being used to charge the battery.

Coast down to 30 mph.

Gently accelerate (pulse) back to 40 mph.

Repeat steps, alternating between gentle accelerations to 40 mph and gliding down to 30 mph.

So above is the sensible driving technique for Priuses for Open roads... As ridiculous it may be but keeps the car moving at 50 - 65kmh which isn't too bad for others... If only people realizes this :(

AbeysinghE, bro looks like your technique is way much more sensible afterall and even adhears to Toyota recommendations. Plus since you ae not doing that light acceleration nonsense, you are having fun in your driving battles as well huh?

.Frankly telling you all dudes..some axio, and allion drivers always wanted to have a challenge on me while i was driving to see how prius performs..I have never ever allowed them to pass me at any circumstances unless i had to stop somewhere..

when i drive fuel figures counter says that it's 18-19 km/L :lol: ,when my wife drives it's mostly upto 24 km/L..but she's also drives an average speed of 60 kmph..the only difference between us is .If somebody pass me if it's a vehicle in the same range of engine i will definitely pass that..and there will be a driving battle for some time, whereas my wife ignores those passing ones..

So basically you say that if you see a car of a similar class your ego and prius-insecurity wont let them overtake you. Pretty much fits the profile k9master describe.. And your wife seems a more considerate and well-mannered driver than you.

So above is the sensible driving technique for Priuses for Open roads... As ridiculous it may be but keeps the car moving at 50 - 65kmh which isn't too bad for others... If only people realizes this :(

AbeysinghE, bro looks like your technique is way much more sensible afterall and even adhears to Toyota recommendations. Plus since you ae not doing that light acceleration nonsense, you are having fun in your driving battles as well huh?

Bro..I really accept the fact that the prius is not at all a fun car to drive with.But, there are some ways you can make it fun by getting into small driving battles like what i'm doing.For me upto now the most fun driving experience i have ever had was driving a Cadillac CTS in Taiwan in rapid highway road..huh..that was great. :rolleyes: .My bro is a fan of euro cars and he got his E46 which is my favorite which i used to borrow from him for shorter travels.. :rolleyes:

Actually guys, if you take all the Prius/hybrid stuff away from that article, all that remains are the 'standard' high economy methods of driving a normal car. And as far as speed is concerned, it does say that driving between 50 - 70 kmph is when you get the best out of the Prius. So, chill out yeah.

• Like 1

So basically you say that if you see a car of a similar class your ego and prius-insecurity wont let them overtake you. Pretty much fits the profile k9master describe.. And your wife seems a more considerate and well-mannered driver than you.

Have you heard a saying that "Kele Maru unata kotiyage pulli maru wenne ne" ?? thats just simple as that ... :lol:

@ K9master,

One of my friends recently bought a Prius, and says that it has excellent pickup. I also noticed a black 3rd Gen Prius driving really fast close to Parliament Road.

Yeah, it probably is not just a 'hybrid' phenomenon. There are a lot of new cars on the road and a good % of new car owners tend to be extra careful when 'breaking their car-in' so to speak. I hv come across countless Axio's and even Allions going about 30 mph - taking turns for ages - keeping a 10 meter distance between the car in front - etc.

I think it's natural for (at least some) people to go slow in a new car - you really don't want to damage the new goods eh? <_<

I occasionally enjoy giving them a good scare :ninja: