• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Red Colour Number Plate

AfzGTR

Again its very strange. It was discussed before on a different thread that they might be here on a "car net": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATA_Carnet

As for the convoy business, the story goes that the president went in a normal car sans convoy, to what it was like, and was actually inconvenienced by another politician and his cronies. He then told them not to use convoys to barge through traffic or something. Maybe someone else could enlighten us on this?

yeah!! that was in the news! actually i have seen some convoys which dont annoy other drivers!...but i guess not evryone in a convoy is following the rule! :(

check this out!

http://www.itnnews.lk/?p=24252

Again its very strange. It was discussed before on a different thread that they might be here on a "car net": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATA_Carnet

As for the convoy business, the story goes that the president went in a normal car sans convoy, to what it was like, and was actually inconvenienced by another politician and his cronies. He then told them not to use convoys to barge through traffic or something. Maybe someone else could enlighten us on this?

Did it ever occur to you that this could be another media stunt ?

Like thats new :rolleyes:

• Like 1

i've also seen UK type number plates on some vehicles, any idea what gives?

Think those are vehicles owners used abroad and then brought down here. They can run around with those plates for a limited time or something like that.

Been checking on this.... seems like some folks are abusing carnet here. Rule is that a carnet is valid for one year and can be extended once. That means technically you could run a car on foreign plates here for 2 years and return back to country of origin thereafter. Seems pretty cheap considering you only have to pay freight to bring the car down..... (during the 2 years i guess they would be trying to figure out a way to make the car 'Dissapear')

Been checking on this.... seems like some folks are abusing carnet here. Rule is that a carnet is valid for one year and can be extended once. That means technically you could run a car on foreign plates here for 2 years and return back to country of origin thereafter. Seems pretty cheap considering you only have to pay freight to bring the car down..... (during the 2 years i guess they would be trying to figure out a way to make the car 'Dissapear')

I wonder if you have to show ownership in the other country.

• 3 months later...

Duty free imported cars at teh very early stage were given red number plates and owners had opposed for it and later on only the P or D was given in red.

I have seen blue number plates recently. Has anybody got any clue?

Number plates with dark blue letters and digits were issued to senior officials in govt service. These are 'mostly' non political people such as heads of departments who use Corolla 141s or Camrys.

Members,

I have seen driving on road Jeeps "WPC 2009/2010" number plates used by young drivers with no connection to

politicians or government departments.I think to show off as Police or Army Jeeps and to engage in various unwanted

activities.Further more they wear camouflage shirts like Armed services wear so that even they are stopped in a check

point they will easily get off by informing fault identity.

They mostly use them on Jeeps which was used by Army and Police bought in Government auctions and after reconditioning.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

In this country, if you are capable of mentioning a political person as a relative of yours at a check point, you get all the V*P treatments and stuff... But if you are not being able to do, you will be getting a lot of filthy words sometimes, loku scene, and crap talks and will also have to lose few hundreds of bucks out of your pocket in the end at the police checkpoints. This is annoying specially when those treatments comes from some "ata passs nethi" police crap holes. So its highly suggested to get what ever you can, red numberplates, V*P stickers etc....

Members,

I have seen driving on road Jeeps "WPC 2009/2010" number plates used by young drivers with no connection to

politicians or government departments.I think to show off as Police or Army Jeeps and to engage in various unwanted

activities.Further more they wear camouflage shirts like Armed services wear so that even they are stopped in a check

point they will easily get off by informing fault identity.

They mostly use them on Jeeps which was used by Army and Police bought in Government auctions and after reconditioning.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

This is true, people usually use those stuff either to show off or to do drink and driving effectively.

In this country, if you are capable of mentioning a political person as a relative of yours at a check point, you get all the V*P treatments and stuff... But if you are not being able to do, you will be getting a lot of filthy words sometimes, loku scene, and crap talks and will also have to lose few hundreds of bucks out of your pocket in the end at the police checkpoints. This is annoying specially when those treatments comes from some "ata passs nethi" police crap holes. So its highly suggested to get what ever you can, red numberplates, V*P stickers etc....

And its coz you post crap like this that no one should listen to your "advice", or the opinions you have posted on that hybrids selling thread.

And its coz you post crap like this that no one should listen to your "advice", or the opinions you have posted on that hybrids selling thread.

haha! about the hybrid thread first, looks like theres another Jeremy Clarkson here in AL and he is pretty badly hurt :( ! lol.. people come here to learn something. To get something useful, not to hear your pora talks and stuff.When someone ask something about a car like prius, almost all of the replies he is getting is from a bunch of people driving aston martins, ferraris and bugattis etc.. lol

about this thread! OMG! i just realized that someone browsing AL in a far far away land has followed my advices and now it has caused the whole universe to destruct! lol It's a truth I'm telling here, almost all fathers in sl gonna get a SUV with either red number plates or V*P stickers for their kids in the near future. most of those SUVs with red number plates are being driven by younger people as i have seen.

and I feel extremely sorry about your IQ level if you really took that highlighted part as an advice!

haha! about the hybrid thread first, looks like theres another Jeremy Clarkson here in AL and he is pretty badly hurt :( ! lol.. people come here to learn something. To get something useful, not to hear your pora talks and stuff.When someone ask something about a car like prius, almost all of the replies he is getting is from a bunch of people driving aston martins, ferraris and bugattis etc.. lol

about this thread! OMG! i just realized that someone browsing AL in a far far away land has followed my advices and now it has caused the whole universe to destruct! lol It's a truth I'm telling here, almost all fathers in sl gonna get a SUV with either red number plates or V*P stickers for their kids in the near future. most of those SUVs with red number plates are being driven by younger people as i have seen.

and I feel extremely sorry about your IQ level if you really took that highlighted part as an advice!

Now what would a single digit IQ case like you know about my IQ? :D Why don't you try just going away and finding some playmates more suited to your intellectual age, like at a kindergarten? Maybe they might think "highly suggest" isn't some form of dispensing advice and all their fathers can buy SUVs with V*P stickers.

you canot ask him to leave peri.. this is not a private road.

I can't force him to leave. I can suggest, which is what I have done. And he will probably ignore it, but it needed to be said.

Also, tho I took the time to explain this, you are NOT someone who can tell me what I can and can't do, or what this is. I highly recommend you mind your own business.

Edited by Pericles

I can't force him to leave. I can suggest, which is what I have done. And he will probably ignore it, but it needed to be said.

Also, tho I took the time to explain this, you are NOT someone who can tell me what I can and can't do, or what this is. I highly recommend you mind your own business.

OK OK Peri it is up to you,

Think those are vehicles owners used abroad and then brought down here. They can run around with those plates for a limited time or something like that.

You can't use UK plates or any foreign plates in SL. It's completely illegal.

After the vehicle is imported people keep it on because it looks similar to the SL plates and can be run with minimum risk of being stopped by cops. If you run with garage plates or no plates, you will definitely be stopped n harassed.

After the vehicle is imported people keep it on because it looks similar to the SL plates and can be run with minimum risk of being stopped by cops. If you run with garage plates or no plates, you will definitely be stopped n harassed.

If you're telling me that UK plates and SL plates look similar, you need to get your eyes checked.

If you're telling me that UK plates and SL plates look similar, you need to get your eyes checked.

I am talking from experience with the cops. I guess when you glance at it the colour, few letters and numbers make it look legit. Very soon they will be able to tell apart the differences quickly. Not yet though.

I think you are the one who should leave (another suggestion with the "should" part included) since you are the one who is making waves here like a small child. everyone should be able to express their ideas. I was telling the truth all the time, people with stupid but big heads are getting hurt and now asking me to leave lol !

btw, a lot of suggestions coming with "should" , "must" type words! lol

Edited by da coolest

Some of those cars have been imported under Car Net by foreigners or Sri Lankan expats. I think they can run under their foreign plates while they are in the country. But I take your point that some of these vehicles are foreign imports which have not been properly registered in SL.

I think you are the one who should leave (another suggestion with the "should" part included) since you are the one who is making waves here like a small child. everyone should be able to express their ideas. I was telling the truth all the time, people with stupid but big heads are getting hurt and now asking me to leave lol !

btw, a lot of suggestions coming with "should" , "must" type words! lol

Look, I am not even going to bother reading up what the fuss is all about.

Everybody is free to express their ideas as long as they are in good tastes and within the laws of the land but remember by doing so you also leave yourself open to criticism.

I hope you have also realised you are suggesting the forum moderator to leave, which is a bit silly.

If you want respect, well earn it! Nothing is free in this world :)

• Like 2

Really.personally I havent happen to face anything like this and I'm not a big shot.Never seen a police officer using filth when you stop a car at a check point.

Edited by CyRaX