• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

O/d In Automatic Transmission

chandanaw

Question

6 answers to this question

O/D is useful, it is the final gear. With O/D off, the car will only shift up to the one before the final gear. Basically, there`s no need for you to turn it off so don’t worry too much just keep it on all the time.

One reason why you would want to turn it off is if you are constantly travelling at a certain speed (e.g. 70kmh) you might feel the gears continually changing back and forth between O/D and the one before (this is called shift shock). You won’t be able to experience this in SL under normal conditions, so keep O/D on.

P.S. I have a feeling this might have been discussed before, searching the forum might help.

You should also switch off the O/D when going downhill to get engine braking effect and reduce break wear/overheating.

I don't think there is engine braking with O/D off. you can get that by shifting to 2 or L

I don't think there is engine braking with O/D off. you can get that by shifting to 2 or L

Well, this depends on how steep the descent is and what speed would be safe for the descent. For example for if it is a steep descent and you would not exceed a speed of 30 - 40 kph, then 2 or L is the way to go, however on a relatively minor descent where a speed of 60 - 70 kph would be safe, i think O/D off or D3(which gives the same effect depending on the make/model on a 4 speed A/T) is the way to go. This is my 2 cents. :)

Edited by leyland

Well, this depends on how steep the descent is and what speed would be safe for the descent. For example for if it is a steep descent and you would not exceed a speed of 30 - 40 kph, then 2 or L is the way to go, however on a relatively minor descent where a speed of 60 - 70 kph would be safe, i think O/D off or D3(which gives the same effect depending on the make/model on a 4 speed A/T) is the way to go. This is my 2 cents. :)

Certainly, I also doing this and it works....