• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Camera/electronics Repair Join In Colombo?

MeanGreenZ28

So the last time I used my Nikon D50, it started acting up where the shutter release button wouldn't respond, not all the time, but every now and again. This was the main reason that I bought the D200, it's sat in the box ever since 'cos I can't just sell a camera I know doesn't perform. It'll work fine for days at a time, but then act all stupid. I have to turn it off/on multiple times before it'll respond and start firing away again.

I was told by a repair shop over here that it probably needs the top circuit board/card replaced. I've looked through the service manual and it's pretty damn complicating 'cos you have to start at the bottom to get to the top cover. I'm not sure I should tackle this by myself, it's a little smaller than my area of expertise .. haha. Also, the repair shop quoted me like $250 for the repair (to start) and the part I found on ebay for like $38.

I'll be in Colombo in June and wouldn't mind getting a reputable shop to take care of it for me, if you'll know of a place. I'm sure it'll be cheaper than here; I'll even bring the part and service manual.

If not, anyone interested in buying a Nikon D50 (I'll bring the part/manual with me, you just get it replaced) to help me with some spending money in SL? haha. The lens has seen better days, doesn't work in auto that well and hunts for focus (makes a loud squeaking noise like it needs to be lubed) ... works in manual focus though. Shutter has about 12K actuations.

Let me know about the repair shop though ... Id hate to try it on my own and have a big pile of junk. lol

Edited by MeanGreenZ28

So the last time I used my Nikon D50, it started acting up where the shutter release button wouldn't respond, not all the time, but every now and again. This was the main reason that I bought the D200, it's sat in the box ever since 'cos I can't just sell a camera I know doesn't perform. It'll work fine for days at a time, but then act all stupid. I have to turn it off/on multiple times before it'll respond and start firing away again.

I was told by a repair shop over here that it probably needs the top circuit board/card replaced. I've looked through the service manual and it's pretty damn complicating 'cos you have to start at the bottom to get to the top cover. I'm not sure I should tackle this by myself, it's a little smaller than my area of expertise .. haha. Also, the repair shop quoted me like $250 for the repair (to start) and the part I found on ebay for like $38.

I'll be in Colombo in June and wouldn't mind getting a reputable shop to take care of it for me, if you'll know of a place. I'm sure it'll be cheaper than here; I'll even bring the part and service manual.

If not, anyone interested in buying a Nikon D50 (I'll bring the part/manual with me, you just get it replaced) to help me with some spending money in SL? haha. The lens has seen better days, doesn't work in auto that well and hunts for focus (makes a loud squeaking noise like it needs to be lubed) ... works in manual focus though. Shutter has about 12K actuations.

Let me know about the repair shop though ... Id hate to try it on my own and have a big pile of junk. lol

'MeanGreenZ28',

I don't advice you to repair your camera because you will not be able to get a good repair done in Srilanka. As I had a Nikon bought in Japan and it was given to a reputed camera repair shop camera was with them for three months whenever I rang them they inform me the parts order is sent to agents not arrived yet will inform as soon as parts arrive and the repair cost. At last I was going to Singapore I requested them to return the camera and with the examination fee I got the camera back took same to Singapore and took it to agents in that country and they informed me this camera had not been opened out to examine and they will repair same within 12 hours will deliver next day morning for 50.00 Sing Dollars. I paid same and got the repaired camera next day morning at 11.00 Am to YMCA where I was staying.

It is better you try to repair your camera in Singapore because this model what you refer is a expensive model than try at Srilanka.

This above Srilanka camera repair was four years back I do not know the Srilanka camera repairs present competency. Now days no one repair cameras the throw out and go in for new one because they are so cheap in Srilanka.

If you want I will check up with the Nikon agents here will send you a post back.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Don't bother bringing it here dude, Photo-technica can't handle board replacements by themselves, they will send it to Singa, and that means quite a long waiting time. And a lot more money that attending to it in the US. Not to mention there are worldwide parts shortages due to the earthquake in Japan. Getting it serviced there, and brining it here for sale is a better idea, tho I have no idea of the current market prices of a D50.

Or you could try the DIY. If you mess up, you could just put it on ebay or craigslist as broken. Sure someone will buy it for experiments or for parts.

• Like 3

I agree with peri, best bet would be to take a gamble and try fix it yourself. Photo-technica really are bad with stuff like that. My uncle was in your exact same shoes some time back and I took the camera (a point and shoot) to PT and they asked 38k for the repair. A repair for which they would need to send it to S'pore like peri said.

@MeanGreenZ:

I tried dropping you a PM, but aparetly you cant recieve them

If you want, I can try calling up Nikon S'pore for you to see their cost/time for fixing your D50. And If you're flying through s'pore you could drop it off and I can collect it and hold on to it for you for you to pick it up on your way back.

But selling it in SL wont work, cos the repair would turn off most buyers.

Selling it off on ebay as 'broken' would probably be the most hassle free IMO considering how many projects you have on your hands :)

Don't bother bringing it here dude, Photo-technica can't handle board replacements by themselves, they will send it to Singa, and that means quite a long waiting time. And a lot more money that attending to it in the US. Not to mention there are worldwide parts shortages due to the earthquake in Japan. Getting it serviced there, and brining it here for sale is a better idea, tho I have no idea of the current market prices of a D50.

Or you could try the DIY. If you mess up, you could just put it on ebay or craigslist as broken. Sure someone will buy it for experiments or for parts.

'Pericles',

Correct advise. As you have mentioned Photo Technica repair shop who kept mine for three months. Old Mr. Fred Malwanna founder of above establishment is no more in this world honorable talented photographer now his Relation is handling the shop not like good old days.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

Old Mr. Fred Malwanna founder of above establishment is no more in this world honorable talented photographer now his Relation is handling the shop not like good old days.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

That the heck does that mean?

'jdnet'

What do you mean by your post? On this automobile related forum.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

This is a non-automobile related thread, in case you didn't notice.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I took the D50 apart and even got the top cover off but then didn't take the circuit board out and put it all back together .. hahaha. Well I was bored and I still didn't have the replacement part on me though...

Weird stuff though, it's been working fine with no hiccups. I'm guessing it was the bad lens that was causing this issue. I've recently read about some cheaper lenses dropping the signal between the camera and the lens contacts and remounting or fiddling the lens corrects it, wonder it it's that. Gonna keep using it religiously to see if the problem returns!

On another note, the wife had spilled some drink on her Canon point-n-shoot and the zoom ring around the shutter button would only work when it was warm. When the climate is cold it would be stuck or really hard to turn the ring ... how's that for chemical properties! lol ... feeling froggy after the D50 was an apparent (somewhat) success, I took the Canon apart and actually got it all apart, cleaned and back together and the darn thing works!! I'm proud of myself 'cos I had no service manual and even more proud that I had no tiny little screws left over!

btw, jdnet, still loving the Legacy .. first oil change is tomorrow!

Edited by MeanGreenZ28

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah I gave mine for a fungus cleanup and they returned it with more fungus and a bill of 4000.

Similar experience here as well with Photo Technica.

A friend took a broken 18-105mm kit lens for a D90. Only a piece of plastic was broken on lens mount. Said couldn't fix and it will be too expensive.

Found the same parts online for less than 1000Rs on Amazon and gave it to them. Made a fuss and repaired it but it wasn't a good job.