• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Oil/fuel Filters

sala

Question

8 answers to this question

I think you're right

Have no idea about Toyota parts but VIC is good for diesel. But good to be careful. The agent of the VIC who I buy my filters showed me a letter and Its said that VIC also has duplicates but they (some sellers) sell it for the original prices. Carefully check it before buying if you buy it from a shop where not normally buy or know the person.

Edited by Nishan.dj

I use Sakura or whatever the cheaper one available for my diesel car as I replace the filter and oil every 3000km... Feel that a change of oil filter is better than using a reputed one like VIC for several oil change rounds is better.. but of course this is for a diesel.. and imho.. :)

I use Sakura or whatever the cheaper one available for my diesel car as I replace the filter and oil every 3000km... Feel that a change of oil filter is better than using a reputed one like VIC for several oil change rounds is better.. but of course this is for a diesel.. and imho.. :)

It's not the longevity that is the issue here. Low quality filters can let contaminants through even when they are brand new. You should always only use good quality filters period. I made this mistake when I replaced my air filter. Got caught to the sales talk of a part shop owner and replaced my original Mitsubishi filter with some unknown brand. The filter still looks new but I can clearly see it isn't filtering as well as before. Had to throw it out and it was an utter waste of money !

• Like 1

u can see difference by cut accross two filteres, i have done it, genuine toyota and vic (used ) in vic less no of filter columns and also in toyota filter some plastic like material incoporated to filter paper columns and seems to be more quality product. but all these for my naked eye observation and also done in used filters, any one have similler experience ?

but don,t know the difference i can achive by using OEM and also don't know whether it worth for extra buck

• Like 1

It's not the longevity that is the issue here. Low quality filters can let contaminants through even when they are brand new. You should always only use good quality filters period. I made this mistake when I replaced my air filter. Got caught to the sales talk of a part shop owner and replaced my original Mitsubishi filter with some unknown brand. The filter still looks new but I can clearly see it isn't filtering as well as before. Had to throw it out and it was an utter waste of money !

So you figure VIC is the only filter worthy to be used? Sort of lowest common denominator?

Also what does KGM mean by OEM. I know it stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.. suppose I want to get an OEM filter then how do ask the service centre for one these?

• Like 1

So you figure VIC is the only filter worthy to be used? Sort of lowest common denominator?

Also what does KGM mean by OEM. I know it stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer.. suppose I want to get an OEM filter then how do ask the service centre for one these?

Well in the SL market, I've only had VIC recommended. This is not to say that other filters are bad, but you need to get that recommendation from some authority not the spare parts dealer. For example for European vehicles we know that BOSCH products are an excellent replacement irrespective of whether they are the OEM or not. VIC has been in the SL market long enough to build that reputation.

Just be aware that there are low quality duplicates branded VIC in the market as well.

Well some service centres like Laughs do carry the genuine filters from each manufacturer. You can ask them if they carry the filter but often they are double the price (and some might argue it is worth it). I don't think we get Denso branded filters in SL (Denso is the OEM for Toyota and possibly other brands).

• Like 1