• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

150 members have voted

1. 1. Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

• FAIL - Hybrids will NOT become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'FAIL' in Sri Lanka
    • SUCCEED - Hybrids will become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'SUCCEED' in Sri Lanka

http://www.latimes.c...,0,416214.story

More proof that Hybrid cars are just a fad. And this is from Californikan's own backyard.

Hybrids won't be a fad because of the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) standards in major markets. Just as governments in major markets have and use stringent emissions regulations to force carmakers to build lower and lower emissions vehicles, those major market governments also have fuel economy standards to force carmakers to build more and more fuel efficient vehicles. Every few years, the standards are raised.

For example, the new U.S. CAFE standards were formalized last year. According to the new standard, every carmakers vehicle range MUST average 15 km/l by 2016 and 24 km/l by 2025. Those kinds of fuel economy numbers cannot be met without using hybrid technology. Other major markets - Europe, Japan, China etc have their own tough standards.So the fuel economy and emissions standards in major markets will ensure that hybrids are around for a long time.

This is one projection for 2025: At least 55% of every carmakers vehicles will have to be hybrid to meet the 2025 fuel economy standards

56-mpg-CAFE-standard-chart.jpg

Could you please phone them and find out?

Be more responsible Cali. I have never hit out at you personally but posting an outdated news after a significant event is quite silly, not to mention such a counter statement to a valid honest question to someone who is trying his best to get the hybrids get going.

you posted a 6 month old news out of nowhere and thus should provide latest update if any instead of trying to mislead ppl.

Be more responsible Cali. I have never hit out at you personally but posting an outdated news after a significant event is quite silly, not to mention such a counter statement to a valid honest question to someone who is trying his best to get the hybrids get going.

you posted a 6 month old news out of nowhere and thus should provide latest update if any instead of trying to mislead ppl.

No 'hitting out' or disrespect or anything like that was intended at all, NPP. Your question was a valid one and something I was also curious about. I made the request only because it's more convenient for a person who is local to make a phone call and obtain the info. :)

For the record....

37,134 cars imported in 2010, out of which hybrids made up 438 units.

Hybrids were about 1% of car imports in 2010.

54,285 cars imported in 2011, out of which hybrids made up 5927 units.

Hybrids were about 11% of car imports in 2011.

Look for the hybrid percentage share to increase again in 2012.

sources: http://www.dailynews...04/19/bus03.asp http://www.lankabusi...?nid=1403461253

Edited by Californikan

on a different note,

people who really want to save money on fuel can buy a decent used car and put the balance money, which he could have afforded, in a FD. (depends on the amount of driving)

Yep...can't believe how shortsighted ppl are when they spend a few 100k extra and buy a crap toyota 110 just cos it will do 12 kmpl in traffic or something. They could've easily bought a newer or better condition car and kept the balance money for petrol.

Edited by jehan80
  • Like 1

Yep...can't believe how shortsighted ppl are when they spend a few 100k extra and buy a crap toyota 110 just cos it will do 12 kmpl in traffic or something. They could've easily bought a newer or better condition car and kept the balance money for petrol.

+1

With financial companies offering close to 20% on FD's again if you invest 2 million and buy something like a viva without blowing all that money on a hybrid you can more than cover up all your fuel and maintenance expenses.

I honestly don't see the point of buying new expensive cars these days. everybody's got a decent car whether they are rich or poor thanks to unearthly loans. So might as well do the sensible thing by saving money and buying a house in central colombo or some local holiday destination.

• Like 1

Yeah, the Polk study has been widely reported, but there has been a lot of criticism about how that study was done and the conclusions they came to. And what is actually happening in the marketplace paints a very different picture......

Hybrid and Electric cars achieve record sales in March >>> http://abcnews.go.co...31#.T5FjJ6um9I4

On a side note, the difference in market size is kind of mind-boggling when the just the 52,000 hybrid and electric cars sold in March in America is so close in number to the 54,000 total number of cars imported to SL in 2011.

Yeah, the Polk study has been widely reported, but there has been a lot of criticism about how that study was done and the conclusions they came to.

There's been a lot of criticism about the typical Cali BS and wrong info you post too. Now go away.

• 2 weeks later...

Another global indication that hybrids are ultra reliable and therefore will succeed long term in Sri Lanka....

Of course, if you ARE in the percentage that has complaints, you can complain to Cali to come and fix your car if there aren't adequate repair facilities in the island. :rolleyes:

Considering the fact that almost all the hybrids here second hand, mostly second gen cars, and no one has any clue how the previous users used them, or even if they were cosmetically patched up accident cars, no way of being sure.

But don't worry, Cali has your back if you want to take the chance. Only he'll be thousands of miles away in the US laughing at his sale succeeding. Probably calling you a donkey in the herd.

Another global indication that hybrids are ultra reliable and therefore will succeed long term in Sri Lanka....

Super tough German reliability report finds the Prius to be the most reliable car sold in Germany.....

zkom5d.jpg

Cali can you stop wasting time posting bogus statistics? people are buying hybrids more than ever because of the tax hike and its got nothing to do with quality or performance. heck people would buy them even if they said bajaj on the back. Now go celebrate your hollow victory over a glass of organic fair trade kola kandha or something.

Cali can you stop wasting time posting bogus statistics? people are buying hybrids more than ever because of the tax hike and its got nothing to do with quality or performance. heck people would buy them even if they said bajaj on the back. Now go celebrate your hollow victory over a glass of organic fair trade kola kandha or something.

Bogus, Jadey?? No, definitely not. This is the German TUV reliability report, one of the most stringent reliability studies in the world. If you read the article, you would know it's very real.

Well guys last week I took my car to Hybrid motors for a tune up. Thought to share my experience there. First impression is not so good. The gate was not attended and was partially closed. Had to honk few times to get it opened. The main garage is housed in an old warehouse. There were 5 prii including mine and 1 Honda civic and few other non-hybrid vehicles in the garage. You don’t see the usual hustle and bustle that you see at A*W or other workshops here. There were few technicians including a couple of Singaporeans and a hot looking female in the office. The Singaporean guys supervises the local staff and saw one of them advising the technicians time to time while the job is underway which is a good thing.

The Labour charge for the tune up was 8k. Replaced all Iridium spark plugs for 3200/- a piece. The price list displayed at the desk showed 16k for a lubrication service. The only addition to it was the hybrid system scan. But IMO that’s not necessary at each service. So I would not recommend hybrid motors for routine service. The price is too high.

Out of the 5 Prii which were there two had come for tune-ups. Another 2 for accident repairs and the other for inverter coolant pump replacement. The Civic was lying there due to inverter failure. So far there has been one case of inverter replacement in a Prius. The cost is somewhere around 400k. The most common failure is the inverter coolant pump failure, the replacement including Labour will cost around 25k. As I know there is a bad patch of inverter coolant pumps in the 2nd gen Prius and they fail after about 100K km. When it fails the check engine light and master warning light will be lit. But still you are able to drive the car. So that’s why you have to be careful. You are allowed to drive the car few km (with AC switched off) without overheating the inverter. But most prudent thing is to tow the vehicle. Also there is this simple check that you can do to make sure your inverter coolant pump is working properly. When the car is on standby open the cap of the inverter coolant reservoir. You should see turbulence in the fluid and if you squeeze the rubber hose you should feel the fluid passing.When the pump is failing it pumps less and less fluid so you know when to replace.

Talking about the professionalism of the local technicians there….well I’m not so impressed. All the tiny parts which was removed the guy didn’t separate properly, and the result.. one of the clips was missing from the plastic cover after the job was done.

Edited by rover

Well guys last week I took my car to Hybrid motors for a tune up. Thought to share my experience there. First impression is not so good. The gate was not attended and was partially closed. Had to honk few times to get it opened. The main garage is housed in an old warehouse. There were 5 prii including mine and 1 Honda civic and few other non-hybrid vehicles in the garage. You don’t see the usual hustle and bustle that you see at A*W or other workshops here. There were few technicians including a couple of Singaporeans and a hot looking female in the office. The Singaporean guys supervises the local staff and saw one of them advising the technicians time to time while the job is underway which is a good thing.

The Labour charge for the tune up was 8k. Replaced all Iridium spark plugs for 3200/- a piece. The price list displayed at the desk showed 16k for a lubrication service. The only addition to it was the hybrid system scan. But IMO that’s not necessary at each service. So I would not recommend hybrid motors for routine service. The price is too high.

Out of the 5 Prii which were there two had come for tune-ups. Another 2 for accident repairs and the other for inverter coolant pump replacement. The Civic was lying there due to inverter failure. . So far there has been one case of inverter replacement in a Prius. The cost is somewhere around 400k. The most common failure is the inverter coolant pump failure, the replacement including Labour will cost around 25kAs I know there is a bad patch of inverter coolant pumps in the 2nd gen Prius and they fail after about 100K km. When it fails the check engine light and master warning light will be lit. But still you are able to drive the car. So that’s why you have to be careful. You are allowed to drive the car few km (with AC switched off) without overheating the inverter. But most prudent thing is to tow the vehicle. Also there is this simple check that you can do to make sure your inverter coolant pump is working properly. When the car is on standby open the cap of the inverter coolant reservoir. You should see turbulence in the fluid and if you squeeze the rubber hose you should feel the fluid passing.When the pump is failing it pumps less and less fluid so you know when to replace.

Talking about the professionalism of the local technicians there….well I’m not so impressed. All the tiny parts which was removed the guy didn’t separate properly, and the result.. one of the clips was missing from the plastic cover after the job was done.

Hey wait, didnt Cali bust his ass doing PR for this place sometime ago? And get all wet because it had "international management" and "qualified professional technicians"?

Also, considering that most Prii that landed here have most likely done close to or over 100k before the odos were adjusted, Im thinking this story should be worth watching. Succeeding eh? I guess we all have different metrics for judging success.

• Like 2

Quoting directly from your good buddy rover's experiences here, NOT something we "short sighted hybrid haters" made up btw.... Let's see now, I seem to recall someone here getting their knickers all wet with excitement and doing PR for this Hybrid Motors place.... Words like "international management" and "professional technicians" and so on were used when that particular piece of PR was being done on the AL forum.

And before we get to the Inverter Issue, I realize that Hybrid motors only had a couple of cars at the time rover visited. But a source within Toyota Lanka (who actually does work on the things instead of sitting at a computer pleasuring himself to them) told me that the number of cars that have turned up with inverter issues are already well into the double figures.

What you don't seem to have taken into account Cali is the FACT (yes, fact) that most of the Prii that our herds went and bought have already covered close to or over a 100k before they were shipped here. Which makes them prime candidates for the Inverter problems that are also, FACTS.

Which is why we "Hybrid Haters" or whatever you choose to call us (I prefer the term "Skeptics") have said all along that just because they sell to our herds of fuel obsessed donkeys and don't become paperweights in the short term, that doesn't mean that they will hold up to our conditions and the way we use cars in the Long run.

But clearly you my friend, are not interested in the long run.

I moved this post where it belongs, which is in this thread, Supra.

I moved this post where it belongs, which is in this thread, Supra.

There already is a reply on this thread which says the same thing Cali. I posted on that thread because you went out of your way to quote this one while attempting to respond to the stig.