• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

At Gear Shift Problem - Bluebird Sylphy G10

Car Lover

Hi All,

I have a Bluebird Sylphy G10.

Recently i noticed that there was a problem with Automatic Transmission (AT) system.

Gear shifting was not soo smooth as earlier... This problem was observed only in lower gears ( e.g: when shifting from 1st --> 2nd.. there is a observable jerk.... ) .

O/D light was blinking only at startup. ( mostly this was observed during morning )

But after 10~15min drive this will get disappear.... ( i.e. gears shifts soooo smoothly & O/D light is normal )

Have anyone came across with similar issue ? Any clue ?

Thanks.

Edited by Car Lover

Yes i have changed ATF 6 months back....

Hi Car Lover,

How many Kms have you done after the last ATF Change? Did you check the ATF color? Has it darkened a bit? Also is the ATF level correct? I had the same problem once, and found out this is due to some service guy filling up ATF over the recommended limit. Once I pumped out a bit of Oil, shifting became smooth. However I had the issue all along, not just in mornings till the tranny got heated up.

I don't know what you mean by the OD ON light blinking. Do you drive with OD On? or how is it indicated in the Blue bird?

Cheers,

K9M

check your A.T.F filter it may be blocked.Also check A.T.F oil level if its over or below the recommended level.Also check sensor near the gearbox if the above two options fail. some times you get the vibration due to worn out gear box mounts.its advisable if you check that out too,

Hi K9M,

thanks for your feedback.

ATF was changed by A*W (agents). After ATF change i haven't done not more than 10,000km .

Even now ATF level is with-in standard limits & colour seems good.

Regarding O/D light status:

During Normal condition,

- Dash board O/D indicator (light) "OFF" , indicates O/D is switched ON. -- > Normally I used to drive with O/D switched ON.

- Dash Board O/D indicator (light) "ON" , indicates O/D is switched OFF.

So during normal days, when start the engine dash board O/D indicator lights up... wait for few seconds & go OFF again.

But now when i switch ON the engine, O/D indicator lights up & blinks for few secs and goes OFF... which is not normal ...!!!

Planning to go to A*W now to check this out ... Will get back to you with their findings...

( but not sure whether they are open today ... !!! )

Regards

CL.

check your A.T.F filter it may be blocked.Also check A.T.F oil level if its over or below the recommended level.Also check sensor near the gearbox if the above two options fail. some times you get the vibration due to worn out gear box mounts.its advisable if you check that out too,

Thanks Abbas,

where is the ATF filter located in G-10 engine ( engine is very similar to N-16) ?

cheers.

hi,

I went to agents Tuesday. They connected the Consult II ( their NISSAN diagnosis tool ) & got a history report from my car's Transmission Control Unit (TCU).

They said that there was a fault error msg from one of the pressure sensor ( solenoid ) which is residing inside the gear box.

Then they went a test ride while Consult II connected.

But as i mentioned earlier since it's after some ride ( with heated engine / gear box ) no issue was observed ... :angry:

Consult II displayed very smooth gear shifts from 1st -->2nd --> 3rd and so on ....

They said this error can be due to three reasons;

1) Pressure sensor ( solenoid ) faulty

2) Resistor driving current to this sensor is faulty ( this is located in LHS mudguard, near battery compartment )

3) TCU - faulty

For 1&2 - when the engine / gear box is heated there is a chance that these might work properly

They suggested to replace Resistor & TCU 1st with a similar model ( as N16 & Bluebird TCUs are not the same ) ...... & have a ride for 1 week n see.

If the issue is still there, suggested to replace the pressure sensor ( as last option ) since in-order to remove it need to remove most of the components of the gear box.

Have any one experienced similar issue ?

regards,

CL.

hi,

I went to agents Tuesday. They connected the Consult II ( their NISSAN diagnosis tool ) & got a history report from my car's Transmission Control Unit (TCU).

They said that there was a fault error msg from one of the pressure sensor ( solenoid ) which is residing inside the gear box.

Then they went a test ride while Consult II connected.

But as i mentioned earlier since it's after some ride ( with heated engine / gear box ) no issue was observed ... :angry:

Consult II displayed very smooth gear shifts from 1st -->2nd --> 3rd and so on ....

They said this error can be due to three reasons;

1) Pressure sensor ( solenoid ) faulty

2) Resistor driving current to this sensor is faulty ( this is located in LHS mudguard, near battery compartment )

3) TCU - faulty

For 1&2 - when the engine / gear box is heated there is a chance that these might work properly

They suggested to replace Resistor & TCU 1st with a similar model ( as N16 & Bluebird TCUs are not the same ) ...... & have a ride for 1 week n see.

If the issue is still there, suggested to replace the pressure sensor ( as last option ) since in-order to remove it need to remove most of the components of the gear box.

Have any one experienced similar issue ?

regards,

CL.

I assume the resistor must be quite cheap but how expensive is the TCU ? If the resistor is cheap, why don't they just change that and see if that fixes the problem ? I mean it might be cheaper to find a TCU from Delkanda than buy it from the agents.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Finally I managed to sort out my gear shift problem. :rolleyes:

1st checked dropping resistor resistance - it was within acceptable limits ( 10~15 ohm as per service manual ) - so it's not that ( refer 1.pdf)

Then checked Line pressure solenoid voltages / resistance ( 1.pdf ) - it was with in acceptable limits ( but this is after 1 ~2 hrs drive with heated ATF )

Then replaced TCU with similar model TCU ( G10 & Y11 has same TCU since both has QG15DE engine ) - but still the grear shift prob was there...

So final option was to remove Control Valve Assembly in the gear box & check the Line Pressure Solenoid !!!!

( refer 2 .pdf & 3 .pdf )

Once control valve assembly is dismantled can take the solenoid valve assembly out. ( refer Page 3, 1st pic in 3 .pdf )

When the line pressue solenoid resistance was checked in dismantled form ( at that time solenoid was in normal room temp - not heated ) it was showing abnormal resistance figure...!!!! - problem diagnosed - issue was faulty line pressure solenoid .. replaced with recon one.

Now no issue ... back to normal....!!!!

hope this might be useful for you all.

Thanks

1 AT_line pressure solenoid testing.pdf

2 Removing Control Valve Assembly.pdf

3 Control Valve Assembly Solenoids Removal.pdf

• Like 4

• 2 years later...
Hi,

Finally I managed to sort out my gear shift problem. :rolleyes:

1st checked dropping resistor resistance - it was within acceptable limits ( 10~15 ohm as per service manual ) - so it's not that ( refer 1.pdf)

Then checked Line pressure solenoid voltages / resistance ( 1.pdf ) - it was with in acceptable limits ( but this is after 1 ~2 hrs drive with heated ATF )

Then replaced TCU with similar model TCU ( G10 & Y11 has same TCU since both has QG15DE engine ) - but still the grear shift prob was there...

So final option was to remove Control Valve Assembly in the gear box & check the Line Pressure Solenoid !!!!

( refer 2 .pdf & 3 .pdf )

Once control valve assembly is dismantled can take the solenoid valve assembly out. ( refer Page 3, 1st pic in 3 .pdf )

When the line pressue solenoid resistance was checked in dismantled form ( at that time solenoid was in normal room temp - not heated ) it was showing abnormal resistance figure...!!!! - problem diagnosed - issue was faulty line pressure solenoid .. replaced with recon one.

Now no issue ... back to normal....!!!!

hope this might be useful for you all.

Thanks

Hi Buddy,

I've same issue with ma FB 15 (2003 super saloon), If you don't mind can you tell, how much did it cost for one by one options ?

thanks

Edited by ARSLIIT

• 8 years later...

Hi All,

I have a 2001 Bluebird Sylphy G10.Auto 

When i starting the car gear,not working in drive mode.then gear shift to 1 and after  2 min car will appear drive mode ,after runing 5 minutes or some km car is working on D mode.

For a solution I change the ATF oil ( cleaning drain plate ,filter plate also ) by tecnician.

In that moment issue is clear , but after 5 hours the issue is same ,

I need to sort out this issue immediatly.

Please comment.thanks..

• 1 year later...

I have a 2001 nissan bluebird sylphy. On turning key on the O/D light flashes 16 times and it goes off. When taking off the car doesn't have power, really slow and you have to rev a little bit harder. From gear 1 upto 4 the shifting is very slow. I do accelerate and release for it to engage next gear. However it doesn't engage the last gear (over drive) ...basically the car wont pass 90km/h ...if i try to increase from there, the rev counter goes way above 4.5 I tried to change ATF, clean up the filter and there was no change.

What might be the problem or what is the best way to figure out the problem.