• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Maruti Suspension

udi

Question

7 answers to this question

Hi all,

Currently im using maruti 800 and i bought it in 2009 B/New.

- Can I use KYB shocks for my 800.

- Is there any difference between normal maruti shocks and KYB shocks.

Please advice me.:)

Well if KYB has a part to match your car, sure you can. Just a point to note, the standard Suzuki shocks are probably not suitable for Maruti unless you're planning on changing the springs as well, as the Indian cars feature much tougher springs than the Japanese car to (supposedly) be able to take the rough Indian roads. But KYB might have a version for both.

Thanks Don , luckey007 . I found that there are suitable KYB shocks in the market.will there be any difference if i installed them without changing the springs. :)

The issue isn't KYB Udi. KYB manufactures shocks for the vast majority of vehicles sold in the world and is the original equipment supplier for many.

The question is the Maruti is based on an old Suzuki and KYB will have a part for the Suzuki and maybe for the Maruti as well. But the shocks are slightly different due to the Indian Maruti being shipped with what's called the rough road package.

I guess you need to understand how a shock absorber works to understand the difference. The suspension is suspended on springs (coil or leaf) and when you go over a bump the springs contract absorbing the force of the bump. Now if they retract with equal force you would obviously have a car bumping up and down all over the place. So we have shock absorbers or dampers which slow down the retraction of the spring by absorbing the energy from the spring.

The Indian cars have stronger springs than the Japanese cars. So they are also equipped with shocks that can absorb more force to compensate(this obviously makes the ride a bit stiffer as the spring can't retract as quickly). So if you replace them with the Japanese version of the shocks, your ride might become slightly more bumpy with the springs retracting quicker than before and might affect the handling of the car as well.

Hence why the springs need to be equalised to the shock absorbers.

Anyway that is the theory, but in SL there are instances where people mix and match with good effect (like using diesel shocks on petrol cars to get better handling). So I'd like somebody whose had actual experience to comment.

Thnks for the reply and good explanation don. Thanks again. I replaced all 4 shocks . KYB front oil shocks and rear gas shocks. Much better and better than the genuine shocks I think.I bought them from T**S agencies , H__E P_RK C_RNER.

The issue isn't KYB Udi. KYB manufactures shocks for the vast majority of vehicles sold in the world and is the original equipment supplier for many.

The question is the Maruti is based on an old Suzuki and KYB will have a part for the Suzuki and maybe for the Maruti as well. But the shocks are slightly different due to the Indian Maruti being shipped with what's called the rough road package.

I guess you need to understand how a shock absorber works to understand the difference. The suspension is suspended on springs (coil or leaf) and when you go over a bump the springs contract absorbing the force of the bump. Now if they retract with equal force you would obviously have a car bumping up and down all over the place. So we have shock absorbers or dampers which slow down the retraction of the spring by absorbing the energy from the spring.

The Indian cars have stronger springs than the Japanese cars. So they are also equipped with shocks that can absorb more force to compensate(this obviously makes the ride a bit stiffer as the spring can't retract as quickly). So if you replace them with the Japanese version of the shocks, your ride might become slightly more bumpy with the springs retracting quicker than before and might affect the handling of the car as well.

Hence why the springs need to be equalised to the shock absorbers.

Anyway that is the theory, but in SL there are instances where people mix and match with good effect (like using diesel shocks on petrol cars to get better handling). So I'd like somebody whose had actual experience to comment.