• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Pls Read - Extreamly Important For All Vehicle Owners

DVT

Yep… same issue in Nittabuwa Petrol station…. There 2 pumps was closed and when I asked they said that the pumps have stopped working because of bad petrol, they still have stocks underground and even if they make the pumps they will have to drain the tank to get rid of the bad stuff

What a mess……

A very simple petrol quality check...

Get a white filter paper

Drop two to three drops of petrol on the filter paper

Allow two minutes for the petrol to evaporate

If the petrol evaporates without leaving any stain on the white filter paper, the petrol can be considered to be good.

(Haven't yet tried this, just found it by googling)

Source:

http://www.hindu.com/2005/03/19/stories/2005031915070300.htm

http://in.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091111085851AAu8XCh

Well guys I did just check both of my vehicles and this is what I came up with

IO with 95 octane. Probably pumped a few days ago was fine. No problems running and after taking a sample it smelled and looked fine.

The tribute, pumped yesterday at a ceypetco station with 95, smelled strange. It has the petrol smell but it smells as if there's something mixed in. Couldn't extract the fuel into a container to have a look as I couldn't connect a guage to it since the valve is at an awkward position. Anyway I haven't noticed any issues running it. The only thing I can say is it smells a bit off. Eitherway I think that the only thing that could be come is just run some fuel injector cleaner in a higher concentration than usual.

Will let you know if I can collect some fuel off the truck.

If you have run 50klm then you shouldnt have any issues... Cars got affected as soon as they pumped the fuel

that's a relief to hear thanks for clearing that out Gayan Weerakoon. :)

For such instances and a fuel shortages I keep two 25 liter cans of diesel at home..

May not be feasible for petrol though..

unless you want to exit this life in a blaze of glory :blink:

Yep… same issue in Nittabuwa Petrol station…. There 2 pumps was closed and when I asked they said that the pumps have stopped working because of bad petrol,

in a way it's probably good that the pumps are getting clogged, because that means it's no longer getting pumped in cars!

i've also heard a lot of people saying 95 is OK; but whether that is based on any solid evidence or not I don't know (one of the guys in the group was saying "it's anyway better to pump 95 for the car"). Maybe Supra's experience just means that IOC process for making 95 is different from others (e.g. they have got the 90 after it was contaminated)?

ok around 2 days ago i pumped my tank with Xtra Premium at IOC and have done around 25 KM,

there doesnt seem to be any problem for me mates and

yeap in kandy though..

why do i get a feeling that pri-ass owners are smug-ing right now :blink:

Edited by Schiffer

i pumped 4 ltrs from ceypetco kadawatha around 10 am and car's red light was flashing at that time... then i ran about 8-10 km's but didnt feel any difference... but just remembered that there were no cars in filling station at that time.. maybe that was just an incident. maybe noone pumping fuel form that place but petrol station guys didnt say anything.... hmmm dont want to start the car again until i am sure that my car is ok... <_<

ok around 2 days ago i pumped my tank with Xtra Premium at IOC and have done around 25 KM,

there doesnt seem to be any problem for me mates and

yeap in kandy though..

why do i get a feeling that pri-ass owners are smug-ing right now :blink:

Prius are affected like any other car in this situation. In fact I'm worried about mine as well.

Prius are affected like any other car in this situation. In fact I'm worried about mine as well.

doesnt seem to be the case in my neighborhood, these tree huggers are having a pretty smug face lately

after this fuel crysis..

I was going near the shed (Ceypetco @ Welikada) where I pumped on Sunday and stopped to ask them if they had had any problems with their fuel and they said "no". also all of their pumps seems to be working fine.

I asked them how often they get new supplies and they said every day.

if they were not trying to cover up (which would probably be a dangerous game; I didn't even tell them I had pumped on sunday when I was asking) then it would seem that somehow some sheds did not get affected by the bad shit...

I was going near the shed (Ceypetco @ Welikada) where I pumped on Sunday and stopped to ask them if they had had any problems with their fuel and they said "no". also all of their pumps seems to be working fine.

if they were not trying to cover up (which would probably be a dangerous game; I didn't even tell them I had pumped on sunday when I was asking) then it would seem that somehow some sheds did not get affected by the bad shit...

That makes a lot of sense.

My interpretation of this is one consignment of petrol, perhaps from one or two storage tanks (most likely Kolonnawa) would have got contaminated. Whichever the bowsers that got filled from that consignment and gone around the country would have carried the contaminated petrol.

This explains why it happens in random sheds, irrespective of whether the dealer is Ceypetco or LIOC. But this doesn't explain how 90 and 95 both got contaminated.

BTW it seems octane 90 from Laugfs Dematagoda yesterday is ok (so far the Cruze is alright).

Have to agree with Sifaan here. After reading through this thread and since my tank was also almost empty, I decided to stop at Laughs Koswatte (this is Thalangama Koswatte btw) and contrary to a previous post all their pumps were working and while they confirmed that some sheds had got the contaminated stuff, they assured that petrol in their storage tanks are ok (both 90 and 95). Also there were quite a big queue at the shed (around 7.00pm) and to be on the safe side, decided to pump 95 Oct and pumped 3k worth of 95 oct petrol and got home without incident (about 5kms from the shed). Fingers crossed for the run to office tomorrow morning :rolleyes: Hoping and praying for the best ;)

Edited by leyland

Hi Guys,

Came early in the morning and broke the news to my colleagues and got all worried...

A relative of one is working for the C** and got some more info. Situation is much worse. Yesterday itself they have received over 1000 complaints.

C** has purchased a low quality stock of fuel at a lower cost. Issue is there with directly imported petrol. Not with locally refined fuel. And a certain percentage of petrol issued by I*C is directly imported from their motherland which is also not affected. That’s why the issue is occurring in random locations.

Apparently the QA guys have tested samples before the purchase and advised not to buy the aforesaid stock. Despite this the C** officials have gone ahead with the purchase and the bad petrol had been in storage for months now. They must have started releasing it to retail channels recently. I know for sure that C** will keep on denying that there is a crisis.

What my friend’s relative told was that this is primarily related to octane 90. However due to the panic the demand for 95 has gone up so high, 90 may be pumped in certain stations as 95. So I'm afraid a particular fuel retailor or a brand / grade of fuel cannot be recommended as trouble free, for the moment.

And now that the news is out, C** will probably stop releasing the low quality petrol, at least for now. But since there's an immense stock left, they are likely to release this to the market may be at random or mixed with good fuel in the time to come.

Why did we ever get born in this country... :angry:

• Like 1

Yestyerday evening I got my tank full from Docklland(Modara) IOC shed. Three pumps were out of order due to bad fuel and they said that they have got a new stock to the other pump which used for my car. But I don't know how far it is true. I have run 40 km after filling up so far so good. Just keeping my finger crossed.

Well machang, there are other great countries where you can go and enjoy contamination free motoring... :) Tried applying for Migration? How about jumping a boat? (risky now with bad fuel) Or claim persecution and apply for refugee status? All becasue of crap in the country's fuel supply.

BTW, google "2007 UK petrol contamination", or just fuel contamination.

Its far more common than you think and affects far bigger nations with far bigger motoring and aviation communities.

• Like 1

Well machang, there are other great countries where you can go and enjoy contamination free motoring... :) Tried applying for Migration? How about jumping a boat? (risky now with bad fuel) Or claim persecution and apply for refugee status? All becasue of crap in the country's fuel supply.

BTW, google "2007 UK petrol contamination", or just fuel contamination.

Its far more common than you think and affects far bigger nations with far bigger motoring and aviation communities.

when I first read his last comment, I thought it was because CPC would continue to sell the crap petrol (perhaps blended with the good stuff) rather than destroy the stuff, which would be a really criminal thing to do.. at least other countries had more responsibility in dealing with the issue.

however, do agree with you that it's no point complaining about where you were born/live; either fix the system, learn to live with it, or quit :)

Just came back from Laughs Koswatha all thier 90 octane Pumps have been damaged due to the shit fuel so thats how bad it is..they said 95 octane is not an issue.... They were waiting for the petroleum guys to come and fix the 90 octane pumps

Went to Laugfs Koswatta in the morning. All the pumps were functional and apparently all their petrol was fine too.

Not a good saying this is at all k9master. :angry: Don't finger at our country due to the activities of some kind of idiots. Country is fine, but the problem is with those idiots machan.

Not a good saying this is at all k9master. :angry: Don't finger at our country due to the activities of some kind of idiots. Country is fine, but the problem is with those idiots machan.

You mean the ones that were elected by public vote? Doesn't that make it the policies of the people who voted for said idiots to represent them?